Good night, Brodie

family.in.brisbane

This week, we had to say good night to our amazing 14 year old Golden Retriever, Brodie, who suddenly got sick. Our family is devastated, and unsure how to cope, but we're making progress. It's incredible, the size of the energy these creatures give us, and when they leave - I'm double guessing myself now with regret. That last pat on the head... the last time I filled his water... the last time I said I loved him... I remember them all, but could I have done more. 

I love him so much.... I have no idea how life can become 'normal' again, but we're trying. What wonderful animals we have... and please, give your dog a hug! I'd give anything just for a few minutes more with Brodie.

He was born in Scotland, and moved to South Africa when he was 3, then to Australia when he was 4.... He's a family member who's seen 3 of our other kids be born to us, and he has loved them like his own. Love him.

20050220-IMG_4355.jpg

• Like 2

what a hilarious photo!

I'm so sorry for your loss. My boy left us last weekend too.Im heart broken, but take some comfort in knowing that eventually we'll smile when we think of him, not cry. Its right to mourn them, theyre such a huge part of your life. 

• Like 2

So sad to hear of another lovely dog leaving their family. Brodie looks like he was quite a character. 

We said goodbye to our sweet girl 2 weeks ago and it is hard. I still cry each day for her but at other moments we talk and laugh at things she used to do. She was only a little girl ( mini schnauzer) but she has left a huge hole in our lives.

Just take it one day at a time. Our thoughts are with you. Hugs to you and your family:flower:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a magnificent dog :heart:.  Deepest condolences family.in.brisbane.  Yes, they leave such an enormous hole in our live when they are gone.  

So many wonderful dogs and other family members leaving us.  

As hard as it is I always think of the words of the poet, Alfred, Lord Tennyson:  “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.   

• Like 1