Best Soft Slicker brush?

Hi  :wave:

Just purchased a Lawrence Tender Care Slicker brush.

Was surprised when it arrived how stiff/hard a 'tender' care still is - I was expecting it to be a bit softer. Anyone out there know of any softer slickers out there.

What do you mean by soft? :) 

I have a Les Pooches green (soft) brush which has polished ends (so theyre not scratchy but they are still metal) and a flexible body which I really love.

Activet have a similar product for cheaper but I think the ends are still a bit scratchy compared to the Les Pooches one.

• Like 1

What do you mean by soft? :) 

I have a Les Pooches green (soft) brush which has polished ends (so theyre not scratchy but they are still metal) and a flexible body which I really love.

Activet have a similar product for cheaper but I think the ends are still a bit scratchy compared to the Les Pooches one.

Hi mowgliandme

My breeder showed me their slicker they have had for years. Thought it was same brand-it looks identical - so bought this one-  but feeling hers- and this one-hers is a lot less stiff/softer/gentler than this new one.

Many brands look similar but are not. You could ask the breeder exactly what brand they have (if they remember). Lawrence is a well known long lasting brand so it might be the ordinary (non Tender Care) Lawrence and yes they do get worn over the years and therefore feel softer!  But as long as you have a light touch with it it should be fine. A comb needs to go right through to the skin, but a slicker brush is best not to touch the skin beneath the coat.

If you were still looking to buy a slicker, for a spaniel coat I would recommend that your first slicker is one with ball pins and you don't need to be practised with these to avoid scratching skin or breaking coat, there are a number of different brands - if you can find a flexible one it cuts your work in half. :)

• Like 1

Many brands look similar but are not. You could ask the breeder exactly what brand they have (if they remember). Lawrence is a well known long lasting brand so it might be the ordinary (non Tender Care) Lawrence and yes they do get worn over the years and therefore feel softer!  But as long as you have a light touch with it it should be fine. A comb needs to go right through to the skin, but a slicker brush is best not to touch the skin beneath the coat.

If you were still looking to buy a slicker, for a spaniel coat I would recommend that your first slicker is one with ball pins and you don't need to be practised with these to avoid scratching skin or breaking coat, there are a number of different brands - if you can find a flexible one it cuts your work in half. :)

Hi RuralPug, yes I definately bought the Tendercare one- I still have the packet. Maybe it will soften up over time. The breeders one is years old. Hers felt much softer and flexible. 

We use the tender care ,doggyman(i think thats the name is great too.)

Shear magic slickers are good to

We never use ball pins no need to if the ball pins aren't right there terrible on the coat .

You should be able to run the slicker up your arm without it breaking skin,there still has to be some firmness there to work .

\Mind you its not to say tendercare have changed its been awhile since we needed a new one & the pet stock ones are great & we get them for our puppy owners as the quality & price is fine

Edited by showdog
  • Like 1