Dog on dog aggression

Chasejax

Good Morning

Can someone please help me?

I have two English staffs, the older male has become very aggressive towards the younger one over the past 2-3 months, they are 3 and 4. last night my wife was bitten as we tried to break up a fight. the older one has attacked out of the blue, for example the other dog just walking into a room. 

they have been on and off with each other over the past 12 months however the las 2-3 has escalated to fights every few days. both dogs are not desexed, I have spoked to 2 vets and both have said that desexing them may not solve the problem. 

the younger dog has seemed to be the boss of the two since a pup, however I think the pack order may be changing?? both dogs have grown up with each other since pups, they have their own crates and sleeping spaces

any information will help!

Thanks

Mick

I have reported this post so it can be moved to another forum where it will get more traffic. The older dog is not attacking out of the blue. I think you need a professional trainer to come and see the 2 in action. Desexing may work if it is the 2nd ranked one done. Therefore widening the gap between leader and follower. Problem is you need to know who is 2nd. But if the behaviour is too ingrained then desexing most likely won't fix it.

Chasejax- you definitely need professional help. NOW . 
Trying to intervene when two dogs are fighting will usually end with bites, sometimes VERY severe injuries if the dogs' aggression is re-directed totally onto the human :(:(

The only suggestion I can offer is this person .

These are two very stressed dogs. Imagine for a minute being forced to live in such a tense environment with some one who is constantly alert to an opportunity to bully you, or the one being bullied. These aggressive episodes are underlined by a constant state of tension.  

Personally id split these dogs up ( as in re home one), because I don’t think it’s fair to make dogs endure unhealthy friendships to suit ourselves.  But if you insist on trying to keep them together, then get professional advice immediately. 

Ill ixpand on tjis by trying to to explain it in more human terms. Think about how a lot of human relationships split up and divorce. Think about the stories you hear of about how trying to sustain bad relationships, for whatever sake, messes up peoples emotional well-being, and sometimes physical well-being.....ie, domestic violence. People choose bad partners for all sorts of reasons, and relationships go bad for all sorts of reasons. I have to say, I think you probably made a less than wise choice picking another male Staffy to partner your existing dog.

Getting professional help for your dogs is basically the dog version of relationship counselling.  It might work out great, it might work for a while, there may well be bumps in the road, or it very well may come down to irreconcilable differences. That is where most humans will draw the line and realise it’s healthier to walk away from the relationship. If you choose to force dogs that really don’t get alon, to live in the same space and proximity, it’s basically the dog version of domestic violence.....

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 4

Hi Guys

thank you all for the advise, especially mingaling. after more fights this weekend and many tears we have re homed one of the dogs with a good friend who has a large property, with no other dogs. we are able to visit whenever we want and our door is open in case the adoption doesn't work out. 

my wife and I understand that we were keeping the dogs together for our own benefit and not truly looking out for the dogs happiness and wellbeing. thank you again for all the honest replys over the weekend, sometimes we need to look beyond our own needs/wants  in life, and do what is truly the right thing to do..

all the best

• Like 10

Good on you.

My dogs love each other, and it's a joy to watch them interact.  In years past I had a boarding kennel, and a few of our clients had dogs (both staffy crosses) who were out to kill each other.  They tried behaviorists with little success and ended out with complex routines to keep the dogs well separated.  As they say, the customer is always right...and I never tried to suggest rehoming.  But I think both the dogs and the owners would have been happier if they had rehomed one of the dogs.