Advice Sought Re Cooked Bone

Interesting responses and reading material. My eyes werent deceiving me with those little chickens though - they grew big (fatty meaty) in a short period. And they looked "out of proportion" compared to others chooks I had seen.

What about the "millions" of varieties of eggs available at the supermarket. I tend to buy the cheapest, the generic brand or whats on special. Are other eggs really that much better?

Hi Chezzyr,

I think you'll find that these were 'meat chooks', they're a different variety to the chickens that are used for egg laying, much, much heavier. When I lived in the country my neighbour had some of these and they grow so big and fat that they can hardly walk.

I always buy free range organic eggs. If you are buying ordinary eggs from a supermarket you are supporting battery chicken farms and believe me they are much worse than puppy farms! They are disgustingly cruel and there is absolutely no way that I would buy eggs from them. IMO if you are against cruelty to animals you just cannot buy eggs from battery farms.

Edited by Miranda

OK...adds free range eggs to shopping list. $2 to $3 extra per fortnight isnt going to break the bank :rolleyes:

As for the cooked lamb bone. I am going to accept it off my folks so as not to hurt any feelings (they were so happy about having this yummy bone for my dog). I will assess the situation back at the ranch and if I have any hesitation about feeding it I will turf it (but will dig the marrow out for her!)

Just give it to her/him supervised for 5 minutes. The dog will chew the meat off it and then take it off her. Safety First :laugh:

OK...adds free range eggs to shopping list. $2 to $3 extra per fortnight isnt going to break the bank :rolleyes:

:laugh: I live on a very tight grocery budget and I'd rather pay the extra few dollars also... as someone else said, the way the chooks are kept is no better than a puppy farm. :laugh:

As for the cooked lamb bone. I am going to accept it off my folks so as not to hurt any feelings (they were so happy about having this yummy bone for my dog). I will assess the situation back at the ranch and if I have any hesitation about feeding it I will turf it (but will dig the marrow out for her!)

We cut the bones out of our meat before it's cooked, then the dogs get the bones without the danger of it being cooked. Why not suggest to your parents that this is something they could do with the next roast if they would like your dog to have the bone.

Alternatively a cooked bone boiled in water (discard bone) makes great stock, perfect for tasty icy kongs (use some peanut butter to plug the hole) or as giant ice blocks.

Has anyone actually had BAD experiences with cooked lamb leg bones

Yep. My old GSD (long since gone now) cracked a cooked lamb leg bone when chewing away happily. One end peirced the inside of his throat and the bone split in half lengthwise and got jammed over his teeth and gums. Very sore doggy and a very costly trip to the vet where they prised it off with pliers. Iv'e since been told that you can use a desert spoon pointing down if its over the top teeth or up if its the bottom to prise the bone away but I'd rather not risk it!

My brothers dog got a splinter of bone from a cooked lamb chop lodged in its bowel sideways. Every time the dog tried to go to the toilet it screamed in agony. Another costly visit to the vet....