Separating dogs

Tahlika

I just recently bought a 1 yr old staffie x and he is very hypo and clashes with my much older dog (11 yrs old) when left alone . 

will sleep for 1 hr then run around the house causing a ruckus for hours  and eat everything and likes to fight and annoy my older dog . He was mainly an outside dog at his other owners house so  I decided to try get him to go to sleep outside  and be outside when no one is home  then he comes inside in the morning/during the day. The problem is the much older dog  is an indoor dog due to age that sleeps inside  .

. Is it cruel to have one sleep indoors and the other outside ?

And is it cruel to keep the staffie outside while everyone’s gone and leave the other dog inside to prevent fights and damages ? I love both dogs so much and I give them equal attention?

• Sad 1

This will sound harsh but think about it like this.......

youre living in your house enjoying your life and then you are suddenly forced to share the house with a person who is rowdy and attacks you .  How would you feel even if that person then moved to a granny flat in your back yard.......your still not going to enjoy living in your house anymore. And how would you feel if a loved one that shared you home with you, began giving that new person equal attention? 

Please think about how the dogs feel living every moment of the day like this. Even when separated there is still anxiety.

Just because YOU “love both dogs so much” doesn’t mean THEY will love each other. YOUR love doesn’t necessarily translate to THEIR love.

• Like 5

You say you love them equally ... 
You have had one for ELEVEN YEARS ... how can you now inflict this roughnut of a dog on the elderly one ...the one who's been with you for half a lifetime ...who's been pleased to see you every single time you walked through the door ....who you've cuddled 
And now ...now you have said .... I love this ratbag just as much as I love you .... so this new dog gets to create havoc .

:(

It really isn't fair on the second dog, either as he will not be getting the exposure/lessons  needed to calm and educate him .

• Like 2

It’s not cruel but you need to be very prepared too manage these dogs for the next few years whilst doing some serious training with the new addition .

The new edition irrespective sounds like it needs to learn some serious life skills it most likely has missed out on due to being solely outside .

Your old dog needs to enjoy its life at a time it is feeling vulnerable and old age affecting its confidence so managing the old dogs outside time will be part of the daily deal .

Your priority at this point is to respect your first dog  and it’s needs .

Your second dog needs to be managed for the behaviour and life skills you want it too have when your old dog passes 

• Like 6