Scabs on the skin

giraffez

Recently my dog has these scab like things start appearing on random places on his body.  They are essentially like scabs except he did not injure the area or have a wound.  It just appears.  There are a few areas on the body, the surface area isn't big (less than a 5c coin)  but the scabs are quite bulky.  It flakes off eventually.  I think it also itches the area.  I clean it with baking soda which seems to get it off quicker if i didn't do that.

Does anyone know what it is and what is causing it?  Is it to do with his skin being too dry or too oily.  I can't tell whether his skin is dry or oily.  I always though he is on the dry side because he dandruffs after a bath.  But when i went to the vet recently, he made a comment that his fur is oily .... but thats because I put lotion on him thinking he is dry.

It's very humid this year. Is he getting a 'doggy smell' in between baths?

Yeast can be patchy or scabby or cause scurf; it's almost always oily and thrives in this weather. Have a sniff in his ears as well. Yeast loves it there.

It's a distinctive smell. 

Maybe get a skin test just to be sure :) ? 

• Like 3

Oily is very obvious especially when clipping them .

What sort off lotion are you putting on .

Yeast can cause these issues so ideally you need decide why .

Thyroid issues can cause massive yeast issues .

Food,oatmeal shampoos feed the yeast .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

What sort off lotion are you putting on .

QV lotion

9 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Is he getting a 'doggy smell' in between baths?

Yes both my dogs do around the 4th day.  They have since they were little.  Isn't this normal?

Sorry @giraffezI can't work out how to quote properly :laugh: 
It's a stronger smell than average dog so I don't know if we're talking about the same smell, and you get it on your hands with the oil from their skin. 

Best is a quick trip to the vet. :) I'm only going to confuse the matter.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giraffez said:

QV lotion

Yes both my dogs do around the 4th day.  They have since they were little.  Isn't this normal?

Schnauzers shouldn’t have a body odour .

This is not normal ,what does the groomer say about the coats 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giraffez said:

QV lotion

instead of QV lotion perhaps use Keri oil https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/47500/alpha-keri-super-hydrating-shower-body-oil-1-litre

Wee Maxi's vet said it's pretty good for skin problems. I infuse calendula petals in it for a few days. I use a yoghurt maker warmer like this oneindex.jpeg.37e0e787c57f3663a6e30750777986d3.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

This is not normal ,what does the groomer say about the coats 

um .... i am the groomer :laugh:   lol    my vet says the coats are fine.  They don't stink, they just give off some body odour.

17 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Sorry @giraffezI can't work out how to quote properly :laugh: 
It's a stronger smell than average dog so I don't know if we're talking about the same smell, and you get it on your hands with the oil from their skin. 

Best is a quick trip to the vet. :) I'm only going to confuse the matter.  

Oh definitely no smell on the hands.  Its a mild smell.