Advice Plz - Puppy Sleep

Wheaten Dad

So my partner and I have got a 7 month old Wheaten Terrier who we love SO much. Apart from being hyperactive and stubborn he is a very good little man and from day 1 has always slept like a log through the night.

HOWEVER for the last couple of weeks he has begun waking up for several hours throughout the night (normally from 12 - 4) and I mean he is really awake and energetic - he will bark, run around, cry, jump on us, scratch and bite etc until he finally crashes and by then we might be lucky to get another hour of sleep before waking up at 5/5:30 for work.

We are really starting to struggle with the lack of sleep and it is getting very difficult to remain patient with him.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Could it just be the 6 - 8 month hormone spike putting his cycle out of whack? 

Don’t be fooled by the pic - he is a little demon dog hahaha :P

B77B904D-71BD-467F-9687-276E471BF9F9.jpeg

Edited by Wheaten Dad
Grammar error
  • Like 1

How much exercise and mental stimulation does he get?  He is at an age now where he will have a very high activity level.  If he was mine I would try doing some mental exercises later in the evening eg trick training or there are heaps of ideas on the internet.  And he is gorgeous.  :)

• Like 2

This is when crate training or puppy pen  is a blessing .

What is the pups day routine ??
You may need to step up your "it" after work especially now WA has had warmer days & cooler nights ..
But you need to reestablish the routine sooner than later 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jemappelle said:

How much exercise and mental stimulation does he get?  He is at an age now where he will have a very high activity level.  If he was mine I would try doing some mental exercises later in the evening eg trick training or there are heaps of ideas on the internet.  And he is gorgeous.  :)

He’s getting 2 walks a day and runs around like a madman at the dog park

Thank you, mental stimulation might be a good idea as he seems to have no limit to his physical energy hahaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

This is when crate training or puppy pen  is a blessing .

What is the pups day routine ??
You may need to step up your "it" after work especially now WA has had warmer days & cooler nights ..
But you need to reestablish the routine sooner than later 

He normally has a morning walk then a few naps/plods around the house

Normally my partner is at home to keep him engaged but at the moment she is on a prac placement so he has been alone quite a lot more, perhaps the change in routine could have an effect?

5 hours ago, Wheaten Dad said:

He normally has a morning walk then a few naps/plods around the house

Normally my partner is at home to keep him engaged but at the moment she is on a prac placement so he has been alone quite a lot more, perhaps the change in routine could have an effect?

Most likely yes .

Pup suddenly has you both home so hey let’s play,being home all the time often means owners over look encouraging self amusement,confidence in there own company as they do everything for them .

It sounds like pup will be home alone more often so it’s important to set up a dog for home alone success .

Walks makes them fitter and gives outside stimulation but it doesn’t make them tired .

SCWT are great calm dog