Is it fine to change heartworm meds?

giraffez

3 hours ago, giraffez said:

Are heartworm medication just as severe as tick and fleas in terms of toxicity?

I would treat my dog heartworms, this is a must, we have so many mosquitos and it has never crossed my mind not to.  I think it is more risky not to.

For fleas, i only apply as needed even when my vet tells me to apply all year round.  Never used tick medications.  I'm of the opinion that less is more in terms of these meds.  But if the area is bushy and a tick prone area, then I would consider flea and ticks but obviously since my dog has medical issues, I'm being extra cautious this time round.

With Malcolm who had autoimmune diseases and other problems I was simply told not to give the Proheart shot and instead give tablets. This was on the basis of (a) his illnesses and (b) that I could be relied upon not to forget the heart/intestinal wormers.

16 hours ago, Deeds said:

BTW  if you do find a tick and remove it you can apply some Advantix to the wound in order to kill every thing off .  Just in case there are some bits or  venom still there.

As long as you don[t have a cat.    Advantix is specifically labelled as not for use around cats.