It's International Dog Day- How has the Pandemic Changed Relationships... And What Dog Ownership in Australia Looks Like

Deeds

"The surrender of dogs and other small mammals means giving them away to a reputable animal shelter, where they will be taken care of and don't have to fend for themselves.

Global animal welfare organisation Four Paws said surrendering your pet means they will be given a better chance of finding a new home through adoption."

Ummm... the reality is that surrendered animals have a 0 day holding period, and as such will be more likely to be on any subsequent euthanasia list when space is tight, and there are no spaces in rescues to take them from the pounds. Technically, the pound or shelter one is surrendering to could theoretically euthanaise that animal straight away.

Strays (or abandoned animals) in NSW have a mandatory 7 day holding period if not microchipped, and a 14 day period if they have a chip.

"People get to a point where they feel helpless and ashamed. They don't know what to do."

Not to mention when one is told they will have to wait up to 8 months (AWL NSW) to surrender their pet... this is untenable for those in situations where they may have become homeless and can't find a rental that allows pets, or have had a massive change in financial circumstances where they are having to choose between feeding their dog or their children... but I will also contend that those circumstances may be being over-represented in surrender statistics, as it is a much more palatable excuse than "I don't want the pet any more".

"RSPCA NSW said their shelters across the state were experiencing less demand than those in other states."

... or any other pound/shelter/rescue in NSW it seems. Something fishy there methinks. When AWL NSW has an 8 month waiting list to surrender a pet, and pretty much EVERY other pound/shelter is overflowing, WHY is RSPCA NSW not seeing (or reporting) the same numbers? When you consider that the LARGEST and most well advertised "rehoming organisation" in this country is saying that it is not the first port of call for those wanting/needing to surrender a pet by their own reporting, I'm highly suspicious as to what really may be going on there.

T.

This article made my blood pressure rise - that journalist barely bothered to source any credible info for the story. "AMA's report found that in 2021, the typical Australian pet dog was most likely a young, medium-sized purebred, acquired through a breeder." What the f***? How about some facts there from those working on the ground rather than from their highrise offices? And one of the sad photos used looks like it was taken of street dogs in Bali. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 27/08/2022 at 11:05 AM, Amazetl said:

Do they mean ‘breeders’ as in just not from rescue organisations? Anyone who ‘breeds’ their dog and sells the pups? 

only god knows the answer to that one, it was born, so it had a mum and a dad.  so technically it was bred, even a cloned puppy is still carried and born to a surrogate mum.

BUT since the majority THAT END UP IN POUNDS OR RESCUE dont  have a chip, it actually cannot have come from a "breeder" as by law ALL BREEDERS  must microchip EVERY puppy or kitten before it goes to its new home.

its been law for over 30 years last I looked  yet obviously not happening to the majority born to "non breeders"??????????????

an oxymoron if ever there was one

Edited by asal