GSP pups - no papers

Lanaolivia

Hi. I was hoping for some advice. 

I am looking to purchase a GSP from someone local however they do not have papers for the pups being pure bread. From experience how much should these be sold for and what should I be looking for when buying the pup? What questions should I be asking? 
Many thanks in advance. 

that nearby breeder have no proof that the pups are pure bred so your best bet is to cast your eyes further out and travel to a good breeder, I see you are in Qld so this page may be of help https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/german-shorthaired-pointer.asp?state=QLD

Contact breeders nearest to you asking about their pups (I see that they sell for around $1200+so that sounds good to me)

Here is the list of Qld puppies https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/german-shorthaired-pointer.asp?state=QLD

Good luck in your search :)

• Like 3

THIS GUIDE may also be of help.
The main thing to remember though, is if there is NO PEDIGREE - the pups could bebadly bred -  they may not even be the breed you are seeking - they may be a mixture! A legal pedigree provides proof of ancestry .
Make SURE the breeder is aware of genetic problems and has done veterinary tests to screen the parents. Ask to see the results.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Lanaolivia said:

Hi. I was hoping for some advice. 

I am looking to purchase a GSP from someone local however they do not have papers for the pups being pure bread. From experience how much should these be sold for and what should I be looking for when buying the pup? What questions should I be asking? 
Many thanks in advance. 

Personally I would be running a mile.  Ideally a puppy should come from appropriately health tested parents.  

The GSP as a breed is prone to a few health issues such as gastric torsion, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia, Osteochondrosis Dissecans, von Willebrand’s Disease, entropion, pannus and lymphoedema.  Most of these disorders can be ruled out by DNA testing and those which cannot can be identified physically.

As far as cost goes, that’s between the person who bred the puppies and the prospective purchasers.  Nobody has the right as a third party to dictate a price.  For a carefully bred, health tested puppy from a registered breeder, the range would be from around the 2k mark up to potentially 5k.

Realistically a backyard bred puppy would cost considerably less but at the end of the day, any person can put any price tag on something and it’s nobody else’s business.

Any goods (and sadly, dogs are considered to be goods in the eyes of the law) are only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1