Long haired dachshund puppy from short haired dachshund

HelenL92

Hello! 
I have a 10month old Dachshund puppy. He is long haired but both his parents are short haired. They were obviously both carrying the long haired gene hence why he came out the way he did :)
His hair has grown a bit but no way near as long as other dogs his age. I was wondering if anyone has seen a full grown dachshund that has short haired parents, and can tell me how long/fluffy I can expect my pups hair to be?

Pictures would be great too!

I know many from smooth parents & the coat is like a box of chocolates .
Some are longs some look half /half some bits of coat .
Given yours has 2 Smooth parents i would imagine it will have minimal long hair but may look odd  (not meaning to offend just not a long & not a Smooth )

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 2

On 04/11/2022 at 4:09 AM, HelenL92 said:

Hello! 
I have a 10month old Dachshund puppy. He is long haired but both his parents are short haired. They were obviously both carrying the long haired gene hence why he came out the way he did :)
His hair has grown a bit but no way near as long as other dogs his age. I was wondering if anyone has seen a full grown dachshund that has short haired parents, and can tell me how long/fluffy I can expect my pups hair to be?

Pictures would be great too!

never bred dachshund's but have bred chihuahua's and when you get a long coat its a total lottery what kind of coat your going to get, long short, aka my brothers boy Chip, he had long fluffy pants on his back legs and down the backs of his front legs. big fluffy ruff around his neck and glorious fluffy tail and ears, the rest of him head and body were just slightly longer than a smoothcoat.  Genie my girl was all longcoat all over her but it did lay flat.  Once had a puppy born, not only longcoat but so fluffy my vet thought he was a purebred Pomeranian . Another girl Leia her coat was just like a Papillion, even had the long butterfly hairs on her ears.

so perhaps there is as much variation in longcoat Dachshund's too?

Edited by asal