Puppy with recessed vulva

Smokey Joe

I purchased an 8 week old female Labrador Retriever.  I had the puppy two weeks and discovered she had a UTI.  The vet gave her 10 days of antibiotics for the infection.  About two weeks after completing the antibiotics the puppy got another UTI.  The vet checked closer and discovered she had a recessed vulva.  It is not a mild recess.  The puppy was given another 10 days of antibiotics, antibacterial wipes and lotion for use several times a day.  I was told nothing else could be done until after her first season.  She has a third UTI and she is only 17 weeks old.  My concern is for her health with repeated infections and the use of antibiotics.

The breeder did not disclose the puppy had a recessed vulva.  I contacted the breeder and admitted that he did know she had a recessed vulva but it was not a big deal.  Use cranberry pills and apple cider vinegar instead of antibiotics.  I was upset and told the breeder he should of disclosed this information to me prior to purchasing the puppy.  The breeder offered to take the puppy back and give me my money back.  I have had this puppy 9 weeks am attached to her.

My main concern is for the health of the puppy.  The breeder said she will be in season in about a year.  I do not know if this puppy can stand 8 more months of this.  Any recommendations would be very helpful.  

• Like 1

You can help by wiping the pup after each wee you see. I think Labs usually come into season for the first time around 8 months of age. You are half way there. You could see how she goes without the antibiotics and try the Cranberry and ACV. Put the ACV in her drinking water. Ask your vet about using a powder to help keep her dry. I use Medipulv powder on lots of things but I'd check with the vet before putting it on the vulva.

• Like 1

Did the OP want us to criticize the breeder and suggest possible redress?

But others are reading this so it might be useful.

My understanding is the breeder has done all they are required to by law, (though not by the standard for ethical, knowledgeable breeders) same as if you bought a faulty kettle. 

If OP is still reading, be aware that NOT treating a lower urinary tract infection may lead to ascending infection to the kidneys which is more serious.

Found this in Canine and Feline Theriogenology [Breeding] Shirley D Johnston, Margaret V Root Kustritz and Patricia N S Olsen p235 Juvenile Vaginitis:

"...Affected bitches usually are not systemically [sick]. ...Significant bacterial growth was not recovered from any of 15 vaginal culture specimens collected from dogs with juvenile vaginitis. For this reason, treatment with antibiotics, either topically or systemically, may not effect a cure. Antibiotic treatment is warranted if the vaginal discharge is cytologically purulent [has pus] or the bitch is showing signs of discomfort, such as excessive licking of the vulva. Antibiotic choices should be based on culture and sensitivity testing of a sample retrieved from the cranial vagina, and should be continued for 4 weeks."