Muster Dogs Season 2 Featuring the Border Collie. ABC News 30/4/23

Deeds

Many years ago ..as in around 60, the dogs we had here were mostly borders , with one kelpie I remember . They were gentler and had more 'eye' than the kelpies , and were very popular with sheep graziers .We had short and long coat (station- bred) . Back in the 70's dad thought he'd buy an adult bitch from a breeder ..an expensive exercise , but 'Flossie' was NOT a success. She was unused to the BIG area , the dry and the huge mobs of sheep..she would come to a stop, and look for help , poor girl , so she was returned .
Then came our first Koolie, and they have remained 'top dog' here.  

• Like 1

I love the Koolie! I have friend past Bourke who turns out the odd litter from her working dogs and they are highly sort after by those in the district and in SA. Hers  are almost slight to look at, but WOW, their eye is incredibly and they can and do move move move all day long. 

It seems to me like all the working dogs breeds you see in the city are getting bigger, does anyone else think that? I remember kelpies being smaller, cattle dogs were shorter and border collies were also smaller. 

• Like 2

I was surprised with the first muster dogs that kelpies were being used on cattle in the outback and the one used on sheep failed. I was expecting cattledogs on cattle. My only experience with kelpies ( 2nd hand ) was them being used on sheep.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rebanne said:

My only experience with kelpies ( 2nd hand ) was them being used on sheep.

Dogs can have very different careers than their general population does :) Many years ago, one of our better yard dogs with sheep was my little dog, Wreckit ..a dachsieX Aussie terrier! She LOVED it, and had a few tricks the other dogs just couldn't/didn't do! 
Then there was my Brother's Koolie bitch who was a brilliant duck retriever - such a soft mouth and great retrieve! 
I firmly believe kelpies are tough enough and quick enough to be very good with cattle.