National Pet Register

jemappelle

As I understand it, the NSW Companion Animal Register can't always be accessed from other states or has that changed?  If it is the current situation, does anybody know which is the best register to put my dogs on in case something goes pear shaped when travelling?

Thanks for any help!

• Like 2

I've switched my dogs around a few times, back when you could do so. It was for various reasons not that I was unhappy with them. Australasian Animal Registry, Central Animal Records, and now Global Micro as the last litter was registered with them by the vets. I moved the others over as I like my pets to be all on the same register.

• Like 1

Interesting @Rebanne.  Thanks and I will have look at Global Micro.  I had forgotten about Australasian Animal Registry and they didn't come up when I Googled.  I think that was who I was going to list them with last time I looked at this but I got distracted!

• Like 1

@jemappelle you're correct. Other states have absolutely zero access to the NSW Pet Registry and when travelling interstate, if you were to scan your pet's microchip, it would come up as "not found".

I'm in a similar situation to yourself in that I'm often travelling interstate with my dogs so I personally added mine to Central Animal Records (CAR).  They are also linked to Pet Address (http://www.petaddress.com.au/) a microchip database search site and have one of their own too.

I've not heard of Global Micro and it seems a fairly new registry.  There are some grammatical errors on their website that personally put me off (professional businesses that require their clients to pay for their services should be utilising editors etc. to ensure there are no spelling/grammatical errors) and I also preferred to go with a registry that had been around for longer than 10 years.

Another thing to note with Global Micro is that they're located within NSW.  What would be the odds the other states have heard of them and therefore think to run a search?  CAR from my understanding is utilised by both Queensland and Victoria so for me it was a no brainer to choose them as I'm often frequenting these two states and one would assume people, vets etc. would be checking the CAR database as first port of call in the event they locate a wandering animal.

Hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, Princess Fru Fru said:

@jemappelle you're correct. Other states have absolutely zero access to the NSW Pet Registry and when travelling interstate, if you were to scan your pet's microchip, it would come up as "not found".

I've not heard of Global Micro and it seems a fairly new registry.  There are some grammatical errors on their website that personally put me off (professional businesses that require their clients to pay for their services should be utilising editors etc. to ensure there are no spelling/grammatical errors) and I also preferred to go with a registry that had been around for longer than 10 years.

Another thing to note with Global Micro is that they're located within NSW.  What would be the odds the other states have heard of them and therefore think to run a search? 

Hope this helps :)

I'm in Victoria and my vet used Global to microchip my last litter nearly 6 years ago. I hadn't heard of them either. Haven't lost any of my dogs so can't say how any registry reacts.

You don't search each registry, the chip should take you right there. Except for NSW and, in Vic, all retired Greyhounds who now have their own registry. I believe they are not linked to any other, like NSW. Stupid idea in my opinion.

• Like 1

I chose Central Animal Records as a second (to NSW CAR) registry many years ago after asking for or reading recommendations here. There were a bunch of media stories around the time about holiday goers driving found pets across borders so their usual vet could scan them, and these weren’t even dogs in border towns…

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2