Trying to ID a breed I met.

Merc

I am trying to identify a breed of dog I saw when I was away, unfortunately we did not take a photo at the time, so I am hoping someone here might be able to ID it from a description. 

She was a small/medium dog, with shorter legs (not corgi short). Long haired, thick coat and blonde in colour. Pointy little face with pricked ears. Very similar looking to a Pom but bigger. 

Any help would be great. 

I saw her in The Flinders Ranges SA when we were holidaying there.  They may not have been from there either , as it was a holiday park we were at. She was a purebred dog as the owner did tell me the breed as my daughter was really taken by her as, she was a very sweet little dog.

I think you have nailed it!  That’s exactly what she looked like. Thank you!

I have been googling “small fluffy dogs”. The other one I cam across was a Volpino Italiano, but there does not seem to be any breeders in Australia. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Powerlegs and @Mairead that it sounds like a German Spitz Mittel.  My initial thoughts were a Japanese Spitz but not with that colouring - Jap Spitz are white.

The only other option I can think it might've been is a Finnish Lapphund, as they can also come in a cream/wheaten colour too.  Lappies are a much bigger than a Cocker so definitely Google the German Spitz Mittel.

They are lovely dogs, but very few in Australia.

And you have to remember that dogs you might see out and about may not entirely resemble the ones you see at shows. A friend who had boarding kennels said it was quite educational to see the variations coming through the kennels.

• Like 2

My first thought was German Spitz.  I have rescued/fostered a couple so I will see if I can find photo.   

Caramel - German Spitz.  Bit blurry (to say the least) but it shows you his full body.  He was the most glorious dog in personality and looks imaginable.  

2009 Caramel and Vanilla 001

Danny (little red man below) is a Finnish Spitz Cross. 

Danny and Tamar 2

• Like 1

The caramel one is pretty much identical to the one we met. She was a delightful little thing. Quite calm and good natured. Just wondering if they would be a good match with my whippet?

The dog you met might be typical or might be the exception. You would need to meet more, and in different situations to make an informed appraisal of the breed. Then too, different bloodlines may differ in temperament. 

The spitz breeds in general are quite - vocal (if you don't mind it) or noisy (if you do), aren't they?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merc said:

The caramel one is pretty much identical to the one we met. She was a delightful little thing. Quite calm and good natured. Just wondering if they would be a good match with my whippet?

Caramel was his name :heart:  :heart:.  If you could find one like Caramel, he would be a match for any dog.  He was one of the best dogs I have ever met.   He and his mate (a little Maltese cross) came from a pound.