Training an eight year old rescue dog

We are in the process of adopting an eight year old Jack Russell cross as company for our other 2 ½ yo dog after the passing of our 15 yo JRX recently.  We've met "Jack" and he's great, full of energy and easy to pick up and seems very good natured and compliant and gets on well with our other dog BUT he appears to have had no training. He responds to his name (sometimes) and will sit on command with a bit of help. Nothing else, No "Come" "Stay" "no" or "Leave!" which we consider the bare minimum for safety. He pulls on the lead and goes where he wants and is fixated on getting to our caged parrot. Only way to desist is to physically pick him up, struggling all the way, only to have him run back as soon as he is released.

We believe we will be able to train him to answer to the basic commands but does anyone have any idea of how to deter him from fixating on the bird? We have chooks behind wire too but he hasn't found them yet!

I know it is in the nature of the breed to run after flapping things but is there any way to moderate this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pete n Kaye
Would like to receive replies but can't see the box to Stay Updated....

All I can think of is that you give the bird (and chooks) a treat and the dog one at the same time if it is sitting nicely and calmly.  Keep the dog on a lead to (try to) keep it calm, walk calmly to the cage, with lots of praise and reward.  Every time the dog starts to get even a tiny bit excited stop, look upwards, stay still and remain calm until the dog is calm and move again.  You will need patience!  Good luck!

• Like 2

First off you need to ensure the bird is in a no go zone ,
The back & forth game of you picking up & him running back is simply in his eye a reward behaviour .
Until you now how to mange the right way dont set you as a failure to what your expectations are 
He has no clue of the boundries so you need to set him up for success without the overstimulation of the prize being right there as such also factoring he may never change so management irrespective is going to be a new life skill for the household .
Train him without the bird ,you will be invisiable during this time until some mutual respect is earnt by both 
Dogs learn quick its just a case of finding this ones "cue" i often find traditional obedience can be very boring to a dog so seeking someone who incorporates trick training,hoopers with training is often a fast forward in "getting it" 
You can do many of these things at home but just think outside the box .
Your new,the house is new.your expectations to it are new ,your boundries are new 

• Like 2

Another vote for separating dogs and birds, maybe for the foreseeable future.

A dog that seems to have had no training and doesn't respond to his name (maybe that isn't his name - do you know any of his history?) may have had to amuse himself for eight years. The prey game would have come naturally to him and he's possibly had eight years practice. Don't expect this addiction will be easy to extinguish. 

With training, structure, exercise and a dog friend he may start to forget his previous hobby but don't count on it.

• Like 3

On 14/08/2023 at 9:54 PM, Dogsfevr said:

First off you need to ensure the bird is in a no go zone ,
The back & forth game of you picking up & him running back is simply in his eye a reward behaviour .
Until you now how to mange the right way dont set you as a failure to what your expectations are 
He has no clue of the boundries so you need to set him up for success without the overstimulation of the prize being right there as such also factoring he may never change so management irrespective is going to be a new life skill for the household .
Train him without the bird ,you will be invisiable during this time until some mutual respect is earnt by both 
Dogs learn quick its just a case of finding this ones "cue" i often find traditional obedience can be very boring to a dog so seeking someone who incorporates trick training,hoopers with training is often a fast forward in "getting it" 
You can do many of these things at home but just think outside the box .
Your new,the house is new.your expectations to it are new ,your boundries are new 

I forgot to mention that we have only met Jack the once, when he came to our place for us to meet him. We pick him up this w/e. I have blanked off the the lower 1.2m of the cage which might help. We have yet to find how quick a learner he is and we have yet to "bond". Yes, it was all very strange and exciting for him. No prizes were given!

I believe being consistent is a key to training and agree that trying to make it fun is also important. Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2023 at 12:48 PM, jemappelle said:

All I can think of is that you give the bird (and chooks) a treat and the dog one at the same time if it is sitting nicely and calmly.  Keep the dog on a lead to (try to) keep it calm, walk calmly to the cage, with lots of praise and reward.  Every time the dog starts to get even a tiny bit excited stop, look upwards, stay still and remain calm until the dog is calm and move again.  You will need patience!  Good luck!

Wow!! Congratulations on the new addition to your furry family! It's great to hear that "Jack" has already shown a good nature and gotten along with your other dog. It sounds like you're committed to helping him adjust and learn the necessary commands. Training an older dog can be a rewarding journey..