Took in an abandoned pregnant mom

Good afternoon,

So I guess this is more of a question than really a discussion. I am NOT a foster, the dog was a stray that ran away from every dog officer that tried to reach her. Ultimately, she ended up under my porch after a brutal snow storm and I believe sheer exhaustion is the only reason she allowed me to catch her.  I immediately brought her into a vet, I could tell she was heavily pregnant. They checked for a chip, did some blood work and an x ray. X ray showed 5 to 6 pups. Her breed was determined to be a chihuahua mix. I had no more money to do any other further testing but I was content that she was healthy and pups were healthy. I brought home food specific for pregnant and nursing mothers.

I have very little means, financially, and had the intention to surrender her but unfortunately the only shelters available were high risk. They are not held long for lack of a better term and I didn't want to see anything drastic happen. So, I took her home. On 1.17.24 she gave birth to 6 pups. 3 did not make it through the delivery, they were very very tiny. The remaining 3 were all born but the last didn't make it through the first night. The remaining 2 are doing wonderfully. Her labor was less than 3 hours and she didnt retain any placentas. I counted each one. I researched for days in sheer panic once I decided to not reliquish her. Here is where the question comes in.

Mom is doing very well, the pups are nursing and gaining weight. I've checked moms temp, its fine. Her appetite, drinking, pottying is fine as well. Gums and tongue nice and pink and no issues with balance or fatigue. BUT...

Every time either of her pups cry, she whines. She isn't aggressive, shes not trying to hurt them. Its almost panicky sounding. Its the only time the mother whines. The vet did say she had prior litter because they do see a c-section scar. I have posted her on all social media accounts, daily for the last ten days. Ive heard nothing. Ive contacted surrounding animal rescues and animal control and no one has posted her as missing.  I just want to make sure that there isn't anything abnormal about the whining. Im assuming its just simply because shes gone through a lot in the last couple weeks and is just unsure.

I named her Izzy due to the Blizzard conditions, seemed fitting.

If anyone has any insight, Id sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Unintentional dog mom

What are the circumstances that cause the pups to whine? Has one strayed a bit, and mom doesn't want to leave the other to get it back? Or are they grizzling over teats?

On the topic of teats, watch for any redness, lumpiness, hardness, heat, etc... having only 2 pups, she may have much more milk than required, and could be prone to mastitis, which will make the milk taste a bit yukky for the babies (which could make them whinge), and cause mom a fair bit of discomfort (which may cause her to whine).

Have mom and bubs had a post birth vet checkup to make sure they are all fine? If not, I would suggest one... just to make sure that all is going well, OK?

T.

• Like 3

Izzy is lucky to have such a caring person :)
I am wondering why the babies are crying - maybe she has not enough milk, or maybe they go to teats that are harder to suck from ???Are they warm enough? newborns usually just drink and sleep and make contented little noises.... Izzy is probably still getting used to everything , and is anxious about her babies - she has been thru a lot . :hug: I also second what Tdierikx has said .

• Like 3

When pups cry it is usually because they are cold. Where is her box? Can you move it to a warmer/less draughty place or give them a heat pad?

• Like 2