Rip Ewok!

carebear

My aunt and uncle just came round. Yesterday my aunt's dog of about 18 years back legs gave up on her and she rushed her to the vets for tests to see if there was anything she could do for her. Poor little wokkie. This time nothing could be done and she was pts today :laugh: wokkie was a shih tzu x maltese (before it became fashionable). I just thank god my aunt finally decided it was time coz of all the problems this pup has had over the last few years. Thank god lil wokkie is at peace finally!

this will probably sound harsh, and i don't mean it that bad, but i think my aunt should of let go sooner. i know it's a tuff decision to make, but this dog over the last few years, lost almost all her teeth, went blind and deaf, was on lots of medications for various things and had bad athritis. it hurt me every time i saw this dog who's suffering should of ended a while ago. my aunt just didn't want to let go and did everything she could to keep her comfortable for as long as possible. but it still hurt me to see this dog who had gone so downhill so quick. (whole family thinks she should of let go earlier, but noone could convince her it was for the best i'm just glad she finally realised and that ewok's in a better place)

i had a little 15 year old poodle boy. he was blind, had benign

tumours, back legs were a bit wonky and he was on medication

for his heart. He didnt do much but

was with me almost 24 hours a day. i had a baby sling and

would take him out on walks with by other dog. people kept

saying to me i should put him to sleep but inside i knew it

wasnt time. he would wag his little tail at me when i said his name, he

would go to the toilet on cue when i took him outside. in the end

i did put him to sleep but it was because i felt pressured from

others and thought maybe i couldnt see objectively. but he

wasnt suffering and i regret that decision. i dont know about

your aunt but i think i would have known when the time was

right and i should have listened to myself. at least your

aunt wont have this regret. rip ewok :laugh: you were very

loved to reach 18 y.o.

She was a good age. RIP little Ewok.

Carebear, sometimes it is hard to know when to say enough is enough.

Our old Shortaired pointer was almost blind, pretty deaf and could only walk the distance of one lamp post to another when he used to run 8km and then chase emus. Each day I would hope that I would find he had died in our yard and then we wouldn't have to decide. Anyway, he didn't. The day my husband took him to the vet the Thor was so happy, his tail was wagging and he had a big smile on his face, he didn't know he wouldn't be coming home and I felt so guilty. It was worse because they had to give him two doses of sleepy stuff - then I felt that we had sold him short. He wasn't ready to go yet and we made our call too early.

Yet our old dobie was ready and though sad, we knew we had done the right thing.