Allergic Reaction Nightmare!

Hi everyone,

The strangest thing happened to my puppy.

He has had what I would describe as an allergic reaction, to Drontal. Has anyone else had this happen?

It all began a few weeks ago when he had his C5 vaccinations. Because the vet thought Advocate was not a sufficient wormer for a puppy, he prescribed Dronatl as well. So that night after the vaccination I gave him a Drontal tablet. Within about 2 and a half hours my puppt had become a devil. He was racing up and down the house with his ears back like a little rabbit. He was wee-ing and poo-ing all over the place and wouldn't let me hold him or touch him.

This behaviour carried on through the night and I stayed up with him just to watch him and make sure he didn't hurt himself.

As my partner said- it's like he is on drugs!

I assumed it had been a reaction from the vaccination. The next day he was his cuddly little self again. I did not think that it was the Drontal.

Last night after dinner I gave him his Drontal and about 2 hours later the theatrics began. My hubby came from work at midnight all exhausted and he found our normally friendly dog acting like he had rabies or something. Charging at us, biting, barking, weeing a lot and acting weird. I haven't been very well lately and needed a sleep, but instead I stayed up with him all night again.

This morning we realised... it must have been the Drontal.

Anyone else had this occur?

Whoah! That's weird Greentea.

Thought when I first read your post, it might've just been Henry being a clown, but it sounds a little more serious.

Is there sugar in Drontal - does anyone know?

Maybe the colour/preservative is making him hyperactive? I mean - that colour can't be normal...

Have you had a look at his poo to see if it did have worms? Maybe it was giving him a huge tummy ache or something and that was Henry's reaction to pain...

Is his wee a normal colour?

Sorry I can't help you but the preservative/allergy thing is the first thing that popped into my head too.

Hope he's alright.

Maybe no more Drontal - and I can't figure out why the vet says extra worming if Advocate already does worms. :(

Hope you get some answers from someone...

Thanks T-Time for your response and best wishes for my Henry.

He is still a little off today.

I have had a look at his poos and they are normal with no worms or anything...

His wee (all over the carpet again) seems the usual colour.

He wasn't just being a crazy clown he was acting very very off for a usually placid puppy. He loves nothing more than to be held and most days spends all day here curled up on my lap (aww such a sweetie) but the reaction produced a totally different dog. He was racing around with his ears back and was growling at things that we couln't see.

He wouldn't keep still and was not wanting a cuddle or a pat at all.

I am so tired!

Warning to anyone who hasn't given their dog Drontal, maybe ask your vet a few questions first because I am NEVER giving it to my poor little gremlin again.

He is barking a lot today and is rather unsettled but I do think he is on the mend...

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Greentea,

I have never seen this type of reaction.

I have heard of pups having allergic reactions to other medications though, particularly vaccinations. Though the response was not the type of thing that you have described. What you are describing seems more like a substance acting on the nervous system, ie, position of ears, running, loss of control of bladder and bowels and barking at things you cannot see (hallucinations).

You do need to let your vet know what has happened as this should be reported as an adverse reaction to a particular medication. Even if it only happens to a couple of dogs per thousand that is still a significant number of dogs just in Australia. These drugs are available world wide.

I think you have made a good decision in deciding not to use this drug again for your dog. I use Interceptor which is good for a number of worms including heart worm and have never had a problem with it.

Best wishes to yourself and little Henry.

Regards,

Really? Well that is certainly interesting, it is not just my boy who reacts to this drug. I have left a message at the clinic for Henry's vet to call me back so I will see what he says.

He was acting so strange and running so fast I thought maybe he had swallowed a cold/flu tablet as they contain pseudoephidrine (spelling?) but I checked our house and we do not have any and my partner tells me we haven't had any cold/flu tablets for ages so there is no way it was that.

He is still weird now, normally he sleeps for about 80% of the afternoon but today not a wink. Poor little guy will probably pass out from exhaustion at some point... I hope it is before my bedtime though, I am sooo tired!

:thumbsup: poor pup! Greentea..probably too late now..but a blood test at the vets may show what's circulating???!!!

A vet check with an experienced vet will help anyhow...Whilst it may not have been an allergic reaction..he may be susceptible to ingredients in other ways..and some "detective" work may be needed

Please phone your vet..this is disturbing. :rofl: "hallucinating"..incontinence,etc are serious symptoms, & should be checked.

PLEASE contact the manufacturer(bayer)? & let them know..they have vets there as well..sometimes you can speak directly to them.

Yes we were with the vet this arvo. He contacted the manufacturer and will get back to me with the feedback. Henry had a full check up and got the all clear, he is now sound asleep in front of the tele with his grandparents. Although he can catch up on sleep after last night's charades I unfortunately have to be up all night to finish some work I have. Little monkey! So many sleepless nights but as always just a look at the little griffy face with those big brown eyes makes it all worth it.

I know, it was not good at all. I await the results from the vet and also the feedback from the manufacturer. I am one unhappy mummy! Imagine if in his rabid mania he crashed into something and really hurt himself. There were no warnings on the pack... Will let you know what transpires...

Hi Greentea,

I can't give my dogs Drontol either. They get the runs and vomit for a couple of days.

Weird though I've never heard of a furbaby getting hyper. :thumbsup: The poor little mite. Hope he's feeling better. :rofl:

Cheers

Maria :rofl:

If a dog is on advocate, the only reason you would give a drontil is for tapeworm.

Tapeworm is usually only a problem if the dog has fleas, and is not really a killer worm (in adults anyway), so I would not give a drontil to an advocate treated dog unless I suspected that the dog might have tapeworm.

There are 1000s of dogs treated with Drontal with no ill effects - you are just unlucky. I have been using it for 10 years with no probs and if you had seen the tapeworm that an aquaintance pulled from her dog's butt you would treat for tapeworm. This also explained the dogs inability to remain in top condition no matter how much food she pumped into her. I tend to avoid giving worming tablets at the same time as vacc's as I figure it is a lot for their bodies to deal with. Hope you get to the bottom of your little fellows problem.

Drontal has been around for years now, some wormers will cause a dog to be sick or have the runs for a few days quite normal.

Advocate is made by Bayer which is the same as Drontal, Advocate is a monthly spot on that covers fleas,heartworm,roundworm,hookworm,whipworm. So why would your vet want to worm on top of advocate is a little odd, I could understand giving a tablet for tapeworm as that is not covered with Advocate.

I f your puppy had no probelms with Advocate than just stick to that every month & leave the Drontal

Shine

Thanks Persephone, I will have a better read of all that info this evening. I wish they could just have the treatment once a year. I am going to look into alternatives to Drontal, because as a couple of you have said, tapeworm is quite a real threat.

Many thanks to everyone!

I once used the 'big dog' Drontal (I think it's 1 tablet per 35kgs) and my dogs either vomitted, developed diarrhea or both. However they have no reaction to the 1 tablet per 10kgs Drontal, I can't figure out why this happens, but it does.

Are you sure that your vet didn't give Droncit (a tapeworm specific wormer)? I find it hard to understand why he would give Drontal in addition to Advocate, seems a bit of an overkill to me. Advocate does the other three intestinal worms so Droncit not Drontal would be the obvious choice (plus it's cheaper). If he did use Drontal as well as Advocate maybe it was just a bit too much for your tiny puppy's system to handle, especially if he had a C5 shot as well.

If you continue to use Advocate you will only need to give him a Droncit next time around. If you stop using Advocate you could try him with one of the all wormers from the supermarket, they contain the same ingredients and I find them perfectly satisfactory. You'd have to get separate flea and heartworm treatments of course, because the all wormers don't cover them.

Glad to hear he's ok now.