Self Vaccination

ellz

Ellz,

Settle down.

I have a funny story.

At my last visit (Penn hip), as my dogs were due to be wormed, while I was paying at reception, I asked how much would I save if I purchased Drontal in bulk.

The receptionist said $7.00 per tablet. With worming 9 labradors, I smugly thought "gee wizz, my husband is going to be so proud of me", as I spend so much on our dogs.

They presented me with a nice size box. When the printed account was given to me, it was over $700.00. How was I to know a box contained 70 tablets.

Doggie friends who visit are given Drontal presents for their dogs.

Edited by Lablover

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Killed Vaccines are actually safer and are just as effective as a live virus, more so if you are talking about Parvo.

I always have PARVAC here and if I haven't had a chance to get them straight to the vets, they get the killed vaccine shot before they get out of my car. At least that way I know they done before they hit my kennels.

If I get in an adult dog that I know has been vaccinated within the last 6mths but I can't prove it, then I give them a Parvac shot just so I know they are covered for Parvo virus which obviously, is the biggest danger in rescue.

Being allowed to use the killed parvo vaccine has been the difference between life and death for some rescue pups as you can give it if they have been exposed to the disease and they have a slightly better chance at not getting it. The live vaccine will bring the disease on and kill them in a day ( after the onset of symptoms). In theory, this isn't supposed to happen, but experience very much says otherwise.

Still......... I would give my eye teeth to be able to buy and give my own C3's legally as it would be so much cheaper. Vaccines may be the bread and butter of vets, but at $25.00 a jab, they are just bloody expensive for rescues who always have pups coming in.

Fair enough that the general population shouldn't have access to buying/giving live vaccines (since they have no reason to really), but for breeders and rescue people who have extensive experience in vet nursing etc, it's ridiculous that we can't do it under the law.

Perhaps if they had a short course, like the microchipping course whereby certain people would be allowed to give/buy live vaccines it would be a good idea. I know I would do it to get a certificate or whatever to show I was 'legally' allowed to give them or buy them.

Lablover, no need for me to settle down...you haven't seen me riled yet!!

I wouldn't mind a Drontal friend...that's another bone of contention but no real substitute found for those expenses yet!! :mad

Max, might just have to take a drive up to your part of the world when it is time for vax etc. Even the cost of petrol would not compare with the costs compared to vaccinating 5 puppies (and would be a bloody good excuse anyway!). :(

Lablover, no need for me to settle down...you haven't seen me riled yet!!

Damm. I thought my story was hysterically funny.

I am hopeless at saving money (on the dogs) Every time I try, I end up kicking up own butt.

I am hopeless at saving money (on the dogs) Every time I try, I end up kicking up own butt.

LOL..part of the reason I took a couple of years "time out" from the dog world. It's like banging your head on a brick wall. It feels DAMNED good when you stop!!! :mad

I never do seem to be able to take shortcuts on dog expenses, no matter how much I set out to try and do so.

Seems to me that those who seem to breed heaps and/or make money on their litters either have secrets they aren't sharing :( or are doing the wrong thing by their dogs.....but they sure ain't sharing!! :mad :mad

Slightly off topic

I always keep Ambex 10 Worm tablets - $49 for 50 tablets - each tablet does 10kg's of dog :(

It does tape (but not hydatids), plus everything else - and is quite inexpensive :mad

Every 2nd or 3rd worming I'll get a different one from the vet, just to make sure I've rotated :mad

Seems to me that those who seem to breed heaps and/or make money on their litters either have secrets they aren't sharing :( or are doing the wrong thing by their dogs.....but they sure ain't sharing!! :mad :mad

I agree with you. BTW good joke - making money on litters.

Joe public has no idea.

Back to the topic at hand. Sorry everyone.

Hey :(

Wasn't having a go at you....that's why I started off with a 'theoretically'.

I know that you know what a full exam should consist of, and you are still a consumer, you are still paying for the priveledge of having a Vet examine and Vacc your puppies, you should be getting a full health check for each pup for your money.

If the new owner chooses not to have their new baby checked within 48hrs, or chooses not to complete the recommended Vacc regime, then it is on their head- not yours, by having them Vet checked before they go, the new owners don't have a huge amount of comeback- especially contractually when they have not done what they had agreed to.

(Yes there are exceptions, I understand, but lets just talk generally.)

Again, if I choose to service my own car, and I stuff it up, or it breaks down, then it's my fault isn't it? I'm not a trained mechanic. Alternatively, if I get my friend to service my car, on the pretense that he's serviced a few cars in his time, but he's not a qualified mechanic, and something goes wrong- can I sue him or ask for my money back?

FYI, Vaccines these days cost between $10-$13, including GST but with no markup.

Cheaper prices also benefit those massive clinics that use huge amounts of Vaccines and can afford to buy them in bulk, whilst the Vet down the road who works on his own with a couple of nurses is paying full price.

Mel.

Hey :(

Wasn't having a go at you....that's why I started off with a 'theoretically'.

I know that you know what a full exam should consist of, and you are still a consumer, you are still paying for the priveledge of having a Vet examine and Vacc your puppies, you should be getting a full health check for each pup for your money.

If the new owner chooses not to have their new baby checked within 48hrs, or chooses not to complete the recommended Vacc regime, then it is on their head- not yours, by having them Vet checked before they go, the new owners don't have a huge amount of comeback- especially contractually when they have not done what they had agreed to.

(Yes there are exceptions, I understand, but lets just talk generally.)

Again, if I choose to service my own car, and I stuff it up, or it breaks down, then it's my fault isn't it? I'm not a trained mechanic. Alternatively, if I get my friend to service my car, on the pretense that he's serviced a few cars in his time, but he's not a qualified mechanic, and something goes wrong- can I sue him or ask for my money back?

FYI, Vaccines these days cost between $10-$13, including GST but with no markup.

Cheaper prices also benefit those massive clinics that use huge amounts of Vaccines and can afford to buy them in bulk, whilst the Vet down the road who works on his own with a couple of nurses is paying full price.

Mel.

$10 to $13.00 ?? Interesting. I must check what I was charged in my rather large folder containing JUST the last 18 months of accounts and receipts.

When my vet and his staff pulled out all stops with a young pup of mine when he was desperately ill, I was so grateful I took 2 boxes of rather nice wine to them in appreciation.

$10 to $13.00 ?? Interesting. I must check what I was charged in my rather large folder containing JUST the last 18 months of accounts and receipts.

When my vet and his staff pulled out all stops with a young pup of mine when he was desperately ill, I was so grateful I took 2 boxes of rather nice wine to them in appreciation.

When I give that price I am meaning the drug itself......so it probably won't come out as a separate charge...someone back there mentioned $7.50- they are certainly more expensive for us to buy than that.

Wine- the way to every Vet's heart :mad I would ask your Vet what he pays his nurses- you might get a shock... :( The going rate for an unqualified but over 18 yr old is about 11.50phr

Mel.

I mentioned $7.50 - that was the going rate for a budget C3 as per the Cenvet catalogue I was looking at on the weekend - was just for purposes of example. There certainly were more expensive ones in there - I know that we make about $3 on the actual cost of the vaccine at work, we just refuse to give the injection without a consultation.

Thou I would have no problems self vaccinating my own adult dogs, I would never sacrifice a full puppy check, to make sure all puppies leave us healthy and well, the vet has listened to the heart, chest, temperature, checked ears and skin. Sure, I am an experienced dog person, but I think I owe it to my puppy buyers to pay the additional bit and have them checked out by a trained professional.

In regards to vaccines, we use to buy them in at the clinic for under $16 (C4 =C2i), but, there are many BYB's that have come in for 'routine' puppy vaccination and worm infestations, coccidia and the like have been picked up, should those BYB's been allowed to self vaccinate, some of the puppies would have die as a result. There was over a 100% mark up on vaccines, then of course there is at least a 15 min consult for some pups (@$80 p/h for most vets) and a I have gone in for a routine 12 week vaccinate that has taken 3/4 hour, because i had some concerns, so I htink the price vets charge are justified, the annual vaccine certainly isn't :(

I would like to be able to self vaccinate my adults and I always seek veterinary assistance if my dogs are not well.

then of course there is at least a 15 min consult for some pups (@$80 p/h for most vets) and a I have gone in for a routine 12 week vaccinate that has taken 3/4 hour, because i had some concerns

At least you've managed to get your money's worth. The vast majority of the 6 - 8 week checks that most vets have given MY puppies in the past 20 years have been limited to a pat on the head, look in the mouth and/or ears (not usually both) and a fiddle between the legs in the case of a boy. THIS is where part of my difficulty in paying for a "consultation" comes about.....

And before you all jump up and down and tell me to find a new vet.......I AM TRYING!

And before you all jump up and down and tell me to find a new vet.......I AM TRYING!

I would have said that previously, but I looked at your location and understand that your options are probably limited in terms of choices, not to mention how difficult it is to transport a litter of pups any long distance. :(

Mel.

In regards to varying vet charges for vaccinations, vets can get greedy. My exboss was always the second cheapest in town, some charged $55 for a c4 when he charged $38 back then.

He eventually had one of his friends, non doggy person, work the front counter, who also believed the spiel, if you can not afford a vet, you can not afford a pet. I fought tooth and nail to keep vaccinations and desexing prices down, as a 'community service', she eventually got her own way thou and all prices went up.

He still gives breeders a discount, not as good as some have quoted here, but still a discount :(

The annual vaccination is the vets main stay, I don't think they will be in too much of a hurry to loose it, they were very upset when Frontline and Advantage began to be sold via pet shops and online vet products stores :mad

I would have said that previously, but I looked at your location and understand that your options are probably limited in terms of choices, not to mention how difficult it is to transport a litter of pups any long distance.

Yeah, as much as I love Tassie, and it IS my residence of choice, we DO have it hard in some respects.

I really miss my Sydney vets (3 of them). One of them used to do home visits for vax and not only did you get the vax, the puppies and any other dog you had concerns about got looked at, you got to catch up on all of the gossip AND she used to bring vanilla slices for morning (or afternoon) tea as well. And all for the price of $20 per puppy.

I miss those days! :(