Herding Instinct Test

Guest Tess32

I'm just bringing this one back up.

I'm not really sure what to do first? How did people start to get into it?

I'm thinking of getting Ebony into it, she spends all her time successfully herding Reilly in the backyard.

Is it easiest to go through a club that does it (ie, southern?)

Nat

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tess32

A friend of mine is in the process of setting up a Herding Dog Handlers Association in the heart of Melbourne.

All herding breeds will be able to attend and it will include small lectures on herding and how to get started.

It will be completely independent from the VHA, VCA or any other governing body, therefore will not have all the rules and regs attached.

You can also prepare for trails if you wish to.

If you are intersted, let me know as he is currently collecting names of interested people - I will pass on to him.

Yes, they will certainly run herding weekends.

They will be more in tuned for city slicker herding breeds ie. herding breeds that live in the city and have never seen sheep and of course for those that wish to work/practice with their already working dog.

It will be in the Tullamarine area.

I will provide more information as it is to hand but I can say this, it isn't too far away.

AAhh you are familiar with the "dog whisperer" of the herding kind. :D

Yes, very similar. Paul will actually be the honorary (spelling?) member of the association and will occassionally come down to do some lectures.

Have you been to one of Paul's workshops??

Nah i met Paul years ago through a friend have always joked about comeing to one of his workshops with a whippet but now i have a sheltie real herding breed :D i would like to give herding a go and would love to do some work with Paul as i trust his judgement

yb

Guest Tess32

Yep, very interested.

Out of interest, is it herding breeds only? Actually is VCA herding open to non herding breeds as well?

Nat

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to the lancefeild instinct test this sunday, hope to take video camera as well LOL the way the weather is shaping up maybe we can park really close and video thru the windscreen wipers :mad

• 1 year later...

have just found this thread, as my heeler x "oz" herds my dogs continually, while out on our walks he lays down waiting for them to run past with his head right on the floor and then chases them ,lunging up at them as they go past, he stays close by me all the time, and he also "stalks "them. he was from the pound as a pup, i believe his 2 sisters are herding?

how do i go about getting started to see if he would be any good? do you think he would be too rough for sheep, he lunges at my 2, at their head as they go past,?has caught my wei on the ear once ,and god did it bleed :) any advice appreciated, would love him to do something he enjoys.