Herding Instinct Test

Does anyone know what is required at a herding instinct test? I know both my dogs have natural herding ability, but I've read dogs have to behave in a particular way to pass the test. How many tests need to be passed before the dog is awarded a HIT title?

Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first level of ANKC herding is an Instinct test for which the dog gains a certificate not a title. Two passes under two different judges is required (dogs must be 6 months or over and an approved herding breed to compete, bitches in season can still compete but run last).

After that is the Herding Test for which a HT title is awarded (again two passes under two different judges).

Instinct Test Description and Test Elements

The dog is brought into the arena on a long line approximately 2 – 5 metres in length. At some point while on the line, the dog must demonstrate a stop (down, sit or stand) and a recall before the line is dropped or removed. A dog, which cannot be recalled, shall not be let off line. Dogs must be immediately removed from the ring if physical force is necessary to protect stock from the dog.

It's best to get some professional lessons before entering, just to make sure you know what needs to happen.

Edited by molasseslass

Guest cloverfdch

Are you training in Flyball aswell? Your dogs names sound familar, Is one a blue merle the other black and tan?

If so i babysat Fox at the Flyball day we put on at Bendigo last year!

I just had a look at some of the regs, thanks for the link. It's limited to herding breeds! Would you believe that a Vizsla I bred and which lives on a cattle property helps to herd the cattle for his owners? I was amazed to hear it.

For me, I think I'll save the herding for my Kelpie.

can other dog breeds come to the coolie herding workshops?? if we can what do you suggest we teach the dog before coming to get the most benefit from it? Elmore sounds like a nice drive from Ballarat :)

Guest cloverfdch

Jen i will give them a call and ask them, will let you know. Also the herding club of victoria often have workshops they are located in Rockbank so very close to us :).

Guest Tess32

Speaking of herding - my two have developed a behaviour I think is linked to herding?

They will both be playing but if one goes off to do something, the other will stalk, then drop immediately to the ground and wait and watch.

I'd never seen Reilly do it before but it's very interesting to watch.

Nat

Guest Tess32

I'd like to but I would have thought most of the trials etc would be really far away... I was considering it before so might read up again.

Nat

Thanks for the info.

cloverfdch - yes that was me! Our bendigo flyball team (which hasn't even been named yet!) is hoping to enter our first flyball competition at the Bendigo Pet Expo in October.

I went to the Koolie Club's April herding workshop too and loved it! I've never seen my Kelpie, Fox so excited in his life. His whole body was trembling.

Can Associate dogs do the HIT?

Guest cloverfdch

Hello there, that is great i cannot wait until the pet expo, hopefully your team will be up and running, i am looking forward to a new team to start competing.

Can Associate dogs do the HIT?

Yep they sure can :o.