Cure For What Ails Your Dog

I think calling it a challenge and daring us to try it, immediatly puts well informed or enquiring minds into a defensive position. And feels like you are being morally superior. Its easy to be passionate and over zealous about dogs and health.

This is a perfect example of misreading a "tone" through electronic communication. I am not superior, but I am smart enough to know that there are a ton of things out there that I know nothing about.

I have attempted to present the facts in an objective, logical manner. I guess some may have read it as "cold" or "snobby", but that interpretation is way off base.

I fed kibble too, and now I feed RAW. I am speaking from my own experience and the experience of thousands of others around the world that I have met over the internet.

It would be an immense JOY for me if one person would try it and say "Hey, my dog is healthier and happier because of this wonderful diet!" There is nothing like sharing the joy of a wonderful discovery with other dog fanatics!

Either way, I have thoroughly enjoyed the exchange of information that has been spured by this thread. I can see that there are many intelligent people on this board that I can learn a lot from. Then there are some others...... :cry:

Raz, I would be thrilled to exchange information with you during your raw journey if you should choose to take it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are also as many good sites and bad sites regarding feeding of BARF/RAW...i know when i went looking for more info i found as much stuff saying why it's good to feed raw and barf as i found saying it was bad including experiances for both sides...both had quite good cases.

I do however think it comes down to the individual dog and how it goes on different foods. I'm currently feeding BARF as myself and others have come across a very good supplier that makes the stuff cheaper then i can :cry: so i'm giving it another go...however i do always have kibble around for the odd night that i forgot to defrost or some such.

until I had seen other dogs in this condition eating totally raw meat without problem I would probably play it safe and not feed it at allĀ 

A VERY quick search pulled up this case. I am sure I could find more if I had a little more time :cry:

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/id823.htm

"She also had a surgical procedure done to remove 18 inchs of her small intestine. Prior to coming into rescue she was on a special diet and medication. Her current foster home has treated her homeopathically, and this little girl is thriving on the same raw food diet shared by the resident dogs. She is now a happy, relaxed, healthy dog requiring no special medications or care. "

Thanks GD :cry: One thing I'm a tad concerned about is one of my boys has sensitive skin and the vet said he should be on a prescribed diet. Yes - he does sell that particular product. My concern is this - if the other dogs are getting meaty bones, allergy boy will go berserk if I feed him kibble only. Said vet is convinced his allergies stem from beef, lamb and fish products. I dont agree, but I'm not a vet.

Raz, why not try him on the raw diet too? I have had/seen plenty of dogs whose skin condition became a lot better and even non existent with a change to a raw diet. In fact is is the reason many people change their dogs to a raw diet. If you need help to modify the diet for him (which is easy to do) then I am sure you can get lots of assistance here.

I changed Mickey first to raw because of skin problems and chronic diarrhea. They have both cleared up beautifully!

IMO, a lot of the allergy problems are caused by grains. If there is a meat source causing problems, it's pretty easy to find others they can eat.

Raz...if the dog has issues with lamb, fish and beef then you still have chicken, pork, roo and turkey meat wise to feed him...not to mention that it would be easier for you to arrange a elimination diet for that single dog considering you will know exactly what he eats.

Oh I'd take Paris home in a second :cry: Although 18 inches is not 6 feet, I would still be very cautious.

It always confuses me, and kind of angers me to be honest, when vets say that an animal is allergic to something so can't eat a raw diet... WHY??? The main beauty of raw is that it can be taylored to a dogs needs, so how can it be better to feed a kibble with god knows what in it, than a diet that can be carefully monitored and taylored to suit the dogs needs? :) And what gets to me just as much (I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I do) is the people that beleive this tripe, god where does common sence come into the picture??? :(

Well the vet hasnt actually tested him (nor have I through elimination) so I think he might just be clutching at straws, quite frankly. He does like recommending cortisone shots as well as the prescribed diet so my alarm bells are ringing.

The skin irritation came on after the boys all lost their hair after that nasty snake bite incident - hair has grown back but this boy is suffering with the skin (on the aside he's also had a seizure since which we were warned could happen after red belly envenomation so I guess he's just not as stoic as the other boy).

And what gets to me just as much (I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I do) is the people that beleive this tripe, god where does common sence come into the picture??? :cry:

Well...people believe it when professionals tell them what to do...people are 'pre-programed' to do so...you get a second opinion and they tell you teh same thing so you go with it...until you hear about other ways etc...and it's only then that you start to question what is being told to you. Which is happening now in regards to feeding dogs, whether people go with premium kibble or RAW/BARF...it's certianly changing from "Pal is great and Chum isn't bad either"

One thing I'm a tad concerned about is one of my boys has sensitive skin and the vet said he should be on a prescribed diet.

Raz my girl has extensive food allergies and Raw is the best way to keep her away from things she is allergic to... They change kibble reciepes without warning to, so something that was safe can become unsafe!

Feel free to PM or email me if you want to talk about it (and elimination diets etc.) more...

Dan

ETA: the cortizone is definitely an alarm bell - esp. when he is already having probs. from the bite!

Edited by zayda_asher

No....not offended. He has sat me down on several occasions to tell me how much the pet food companies put into R&D but I still dont buy it (the idea that is).

ETA - thanks Dan. Will do.

Edited by raz

Glad you're not offended Raz, I knew you were above that :cry:

KitKat, yes I see where you are coming from. I do so much of my own research that when a vet says something like that to me I completely disregard it, even with doctors I usually do a bit of my own research when they tell me something, just incase there is more to the story or something has slipped my mind HOWEVER, when a mechanic tells me something is wrong with my car I have no choice other than believe them because I know nothing about cars - I guess I just have to keep in mind that not everybody spends as much time looking into dog nutrition as I do :(

How do you work out which to go with then?

I've got Billinghurst's books and Lonsdale's, Billinghurst doesn't write in a way that I find particularly confidence-inspiring, yet it comes across as common sensical and the guts of what he's saying seems logical to me. Lonsdale comes across as having more "scientific" foundations, but then it all gets a bit "conspiracy theory" at the end...

I look at the websites that get referred to here, and each one will have passionate testimonials about deadly dog diet - whether it be BARF / cooked home made / commercial - take your pick - there's equally strident advocates of all diets...

I'm moving onto BARF because it strikes me as being logical and I've taken on board, to some degree, the ideas relating to veterinary funding and corporate profit that I think compromise, to some degree, the information and research done by the processed dog food companies.

When I'm told by dog food reps in pet barn, or vet nurses at my (holistic!) vets', that I'm risking my dogs lives by feeding them raw, it annoys me, but it also scares me.

The dogs who I'm feeding raw now look great, and are recovering really well from their various complaints. I have a gut feeling I'm doing the right thing, but I don't have any means of comparing their condition now to how they'd be if they were eating supercoat everyday, as our previous dog did.

She had bad skin and died at 6 yrs from osteosarcoma - she was on supercoat and a pharmacuetical oil thing specifically for her skin :cry: but I have no way of knowing if I could have helped her then by feeding her a different diet...

WOW. What a read. I wished I picked this subject up earlier. Had a laugh and some growls.

GreatDanz I'm totally 100% with you on this subject.

I am a Barfer, but someone told me I'm not 100% raw. Who cares. I'm still learning. I definately do not use any can or dry food total.

I too have a dog with allergies. Skin. I found being on BARF cleared it greatly. But the minute she even looks at can/dry food the allergy comes back.

I have found there are so many different versions of BARF, that my head spins. But I do believe that I have found the one that works for me. Until someone can prove to me that what I feed my girls is wrong, I will be sticking to the one I do.

Everybody has their opionons. I hate dry food. But I dont advocate to people that they shouldnt be using it. I have a dog who bloats and I have found dry food is the main culprit. I have also done my research on the net about dry food and I am convinced enough to know that is what causes my dog to bloat.

I have also research different types of BARF and am still not convinced on a total meat Barf diet just yet. One day some site on the net might just do that.

I too live in a small town where there is not much by way of getting my BARF supplies. It can take me a good 2 hour round trip to my main town to get my supplies. I only have one butcher and an IGA supermarket and they have nothing for my needs. I can spend anywhere up to an 1 1/2 hour to make my monthly supply for my four fur babies. And I love every minute of it. And did I mentioned the cost. Well what I would spend on a week buying can/dry food is more than what I spend buying BARF for a month.

Know what really turned me into a Barfer? I went and did my research and found a site that said that what really goes into a can of dog food can be anything that is not human consumption. Or even dog consuption. Meaning diseased dogs/cats that are supposed to end up on the tip or buried or whatever they are supposed to do with the deceased animals.

I have done my research for a very long time trying to work out what was real and what wasnt. And some of it is not very pretty.

I'm with you Mana. What do we do. Are we right. What if.................

Great Danez, I am pleased your dogs do get bones - both as bones to gnaw, and mnced with the meat. With only meat, the P ratio is far too high, and leads to calcium deficiency. The addition of fruit/veges, put through the food processor will ensure the dogs receive additional vitamins and nutrients.

Raz - I would be surpised if he didn't do well on a raw diet. Add some corn oil once a week, and a small tin of sardines - divided in two - per week as well.

There is a Ruddocks product Polyvite, which I have found excellent - specially for dogs with itchy skin. The ingredient which helps is linoelic acid, but it contains various ingredients which aid the skin, and promote general wellbeing. About $15 a bottle. Got my itchy dog off cortisone, and she has never needed it again (6 years later)

A large percentage of Aus. dog breeders do feed raw, Great Danz :D

And - for Raz, or anyone else hesitating about changing - I wouldn't preach, but mine receive 99% raw - with the occasional feed of top quality premium kibble - no preservatives, no flavourings, and I have been feeding them like this since BEFORE canned food and kibble was available. They are extremely healthy, and raw diets are cheaper - providing you can source the food at reasonable cost.