Floppy Ears

I know I have asked before and I have searched the forum and internet for days now and just wanted to ask again everyones opinion.

Bear has just turned 6 months old. And one of his ears (which has been up and stayed up for a period of time) is floppy again and has been for maybe the past 3 - 4 weeks.

I was told because they have come up not to worry, they should come up again at some stage, but he is 6 months old now.

They comes up when he is listening, playing with other dogs and rarely, but sometimes when I get home from work, but within minutes, if not seconds it comes down again. :)

I don't want to leave it to long, but I know that he can hold it up as it was up for a period of time a few months ago.

Suggestions?

Sorry to bother you again with this. When I asked the vet at the last visit, they said not to worry - but of course - I am!

When you went to the vet last, did he check his ears to make sure they were healthy inside?

He has probably finished his teething, so it can't be teething.

some pups do have softer ears for longer then others, if they have come before then they should do so again.

You can try giving him bones etc to chew, this can strengthen the facial muscles adn also help with ear carriage. Ester C can help with loose ligaments, it may also help soft ears.

Contact your pups breeder or the GSDC in your state, they may know of someone that can tape the ears for you, but the taping can be distressing and in the end, weigh up if it is worth it? If he is your loving companion, a soft ear will not hurt him, nor affect him in anyway, there many GSD's with soft ears adn it makes them look even more adorable and special. They are just my thoughts.

Holly thanks for replying!

I am not entirely convinced that all adult teeth are through as there is a gap between a couple where I would think teeth should come. Do they have teeth all around there mouth like humans? Is that a really stupid question? :)

He is only a pet and I am not going to show or breed him, so it really isn't a problem, I just thought that they should come up. If they don't, will it cause him any distress or ear problems?

I don't really want to stress him out just to have his ears taped and don't want to do that, i was just worried that it was wrong if they didn't come up.

Do they have teeth all around there mouth like humans?

At the front they do but along the sides they won't be as close...i'll see if i can find a pic or something

canineteeth.JPG

Is that a really stupid question? 

The only 'stupid question' is that which isn't asked :p

If they don't, will it cause him any distress or ear problems?

Nope...just keep up with the usual ear cleaning regime :)

ETA - teeth pic :)

Edited by KitKat

Thanks Heaps KitKat!

Ok - so I am going to have a good look tonight, but looking at that pic, maybe he has got all of his teeth. By 6 months is this usual?

Nope...just keep up with the usual ear cleaning regime

Well......It is getting easier. I have started to use baby wipes and it isn't quite as hard as it used to be, but his ears don't seem to be quite so dirty anymore either! :)

My Zac had his ears taped for awhile, his breeders used the cardboard toilet paper rolls and taped it inside his ears and then I think his ears together at the top? His ears are great now and I don't remember him worrying about it.

Indi has a slightly soft ear on one side, can only notice when she runs - I think its cute.

zacwaiting.jpg

And whats wrong with floppy ears Alibear?

Now now Springer Girl! Keep those little panties on! How can I argue with a pic like that! :)

ImaShepHead - what a beautiful dog - which one is this of? I don't think I have seen it before - or have I? :)

Thats Zac. He's from the same Mum as my puppies were. I've been boarding him for 7 months, hoping his owner would stay in Italy rather than come back for him - but sadly he has and Zac is going home soon. He's a lovely big dopey boy and he'll be missed here too :)

Zac with Chili

chilinzac.jpg

With little sister

carsmooch.jpg

post-22-1122610359.jpg

Alibear, the teeth need a small gap between, but not enough to fit a finger through, unfortunately, some lines produce missing teeth, I had one dog that had three missing teeth, as to I found out later, his grandsire, he found a loving pet home.

I do not agree on taping dogs ears that are for breeding later as the problem is inherited and there will be some sucker then that will be none the wiser,buy a hopeful show dog, that develops soft ears and find themselves dogless for the ring.

But for a pet if you are so concerned about erect ears then have them taped, the pup I had with soft ears, got really upset about the taping, imagine having things shoved in your ear, even a bit of wax can send some of us and our dogs into a spin, I threw away the tape and if they came up they came up, they never did, but , his sire also had his ears taped and noone knew but the breed has enough problems without adding more to them, he also had bilateral UAP so the soft ears were the least of his problems.

It is only a cosmetic fault and wont affect the love your pup has for you, but you already knew that.

Edited by holly

You leave my bog catchers out of this thread now ya hear!!!

You just have to take it one step to far don't you! :) :p What are we going to do with you! I think you really should leave this thread and take your obscene thoughts with you! :)

ImaShepHead - I don't blame you for wishing his parents didn't come back! He is just adorable! How do you do that? Keep him for so long and then give him back? ;) I would be a basket case for weeks having to hand them back! :D

Holly - I'm going to have to check his mouth tonight. I hadn't really paid that much attention until now. I am pretty sure that the gaps going by the pic KitKat posted look normal!

Definatly not going to breed but I don't want to tape his ears either. As long as it doesn't cause him any trouble, I won't worry. Just wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing and not hurting him by leaving them down.

The ear in this pic is the one that is now down.

47b040cf.jpg

The ear down in this photo is what is happening now.

BearKennel2.jpg

But as you can see - only a few weeks ago they had both come up really well.

BearInside.jpg

Hey Springer! I was only kidding! I didn't mean for you to really leave! :p

Just a joke! Oh man, what have I done?

COME.............BACK...................SPRINGER!............................. :):)

Hey, I'm here - I'm here!

Geez.....You are a very impatient one aren't you!

Didn't your mother ever teach you manners!

You know "wait to speak until you are spoken to!" :)

"If you don't have anyhing nice to say, don't say anything"

Where is your advice then Springer? What do I do with Bear's ears hey!

ETA :) What a gorgeous shot in the car!

Edited by Alibear

Hey, I'm here - I'm here!

Geez.....You are a very impatient one aren't you!

Didn't your mother ever teach you manners!

You know "wait to speak until you are spoken to!" :)

"If you don't have anyhing nice to say, don't say anything"

Where is your advice then Springer? What do I do with Bear's ears hey!

ETA :p What a gorgeous shot in the car!

Mum is that you? What are you doing on DOL? ;) :D

My advise Al is to let em go droopy (but then again I am biased with droopy ears)

Thats actually a pic of Max taken a while ago....but it looks as though he is laughing so thats why I threw that one in :)