Heart Worm Tablets

Some breeds, especially Collies or similar, cannot tlerate Heartworm preventatives with Ivermectin etc in it. Revolution is one of thse as it has Milbamectin in it.

Sentinel Spectrum is great and it does all the other worms too and flea control.

pricelesspets.com.au is heaops cheaper than buying at the Vets

As others have stated if the dog is 6ths or over it must have the blood test first.

even if you do not live in a heartworm area it only takes for one dog to come in from another area that is infected for your dog to be at risk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goldieneale - go compare the prices on the website I posted -

http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/products.php3?page=prod

6 months of Advocate only $64.10 - a hell of a lot cheaper! And no I don't work for the company - just love the prices :D

Oh and I am NOT a fan of the yearly shots at all....my old girl had it once - i didn't like the afteraffects - she got very quiet, had the trots for a few days and was not herself...would never use them again....

Edited by Pup's mum

I don't know whether this is widely considered an issue, but my vet doesn't like the annual injections simply because it's a fair whack of toxic stuff to give the dog at one time.

Considering it takes about 20mins to squeeze the damn stuff into a syringe I wouldn't be putting it in my dog! It's SOOO thick, that drawing it from the vile is an effort and a half.

We don't use the yearly injections either for 2 reasons

1) It is a huge amount of toxin in one dose

2) There is some evidence to suggest it can affect the dogs adversely with seasons being missed etc Also some pregnancies and puppies have not proceeded as well. It won't be found in vetinary text books but there was a great thread a couple of years ago with breeders discussing just that.

We have just changed to Canimax. We don't have fleas in Alice Springs so only treat for all the worms.

Has anyone heard good or bad info on canimax??

Cheers

Erica

Revolution (with InspectorRex's cautions - it has selamectin - is that the same ingredient you were talking about?) also treats all stages of flea development, Heartworm, ear mites, and sarcoptic mites (this is a form of mange isn't it?).

I've given my pups their first dose of this, on the recommendation of the vet nurse at my vet (who I'm afraid I'm growing more sceptical of)...

Is there anything to consider when dosing pups? These guys have had a rough trot thus far but seem to be in good shape now.

Also - my vet told me that tapeworm drugs are effective for hydatids - I thought there wasn't an preventative for hydatids - so worth keeping in mind.

ETA - our old heartworm bloke gets only Heartguard, on vet's instructions. Why is this the only one you can treat dogs that have light positive heartworm results with?

Edited by Mana

Advocate is another similar product to Sentital.........You can't use this product if you have a cat also though as if the cat comes in contact it can be very harmful.

I think you might be thinking of Advantix (the new flea + tick preparation from Bayer).

Advocate is available for cats to protect against flea, heartworm and worms just as for dogs.

DD, if you don't have a problem with fleas, you could use Interceptor Spectrum rather than Sentinel. It's about $35 from www.pricelesspets.com.au for the large breeds. It is a monthly tablet which covers both heartworm and all intestinal worms. I've also heard some negative remarks about the yearly heartworm injection, with regards to adverse reactions to the medication.

If your dog is over 6 months, he will need to be tested for heartworm before you start any preventatives.

Good luck!

REVOLUTION ingredient of selamectin is a diectly related drug to Ivermectin and I would Defininately Not give it to any Collie,Rough, Smooth, Bearded or Border, Aussie Shepherd, Shetland Sheepdog orany dog that has these breeds in them ( ie The Aus Kelpie and Aus Cattle Dog came down from Collies so I would not use this drug).

If anyone wants info on this Sensitivity please pm or email me and I will give you as much info as i have at had( which is quite a bit ).

The way to go is; if the word "mectin" appears anywhere on the drug and you have one of these breeds or crosses of them AVOID it like the plague.!!!

Yes, to reiterate what Anne said, have the dog tested! As already metioned if you give a preventative to a dog with heratworm it can kill them and it is a horrible, painful death!

Note also that ivermectin affects a dogs sense of smell, so i wouldn't use it if you are doing any scent work with your dog.

Apparently the particular mosquito which carries the heartworm larvae doesn't do well down here because of the cold. Most vets down here will not test for, or prescribe heartworm medication unless pushed.

I personally did maintain heartworm treatments on my dogs when I was doing a lot of travelling to the mainland for shows etc. and after I returned from Sydney in 1995.

ok so i havce to go get him tested before i give him another tablets but now have i done some damage to him by giving him one?

There is always that possibility, but only your vet could say for sure.

thanks pup's mum!!!

Best price i've seen and I will be buying from them!!!!

Question for Pup's mum and others who have bought from Priceless pets... How did you the find the payment system?? Bit cautious of sending my credit card details to them and my husband and i don't use cheques??