Xia Is A Sheep Dog

Xia had her first go on sheep today. She is bred to be a good herding dog so it wasn't totally unexpected that she could do it. Early days yet of course but she's got everything she needs to be a sheep dog. She attracted quite a few positive comments.

I find I am looking at her somewhat differently now. To realise that my little dawg, my little Kelpie, possesses such natural and effortless ability, is quite humbling.

Vickie had her camera there so I expect she will post some pics when she is able to. BTW her new camera is :thumbsup::thumbsup: ;) . I had a turn of it when Vickie was working Trim and I think I want to marry it. Or something.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cloverfdch

Woohoo that is great :thumbsup:, i bet you had a blast. Just a warning and you probably already know this but..... it is very addictive ;).

I had a turn of it when Vickie was working Trim and I think I want to marry it. Or something.

:thumbsup: Too funny.

I cannot wait to see some pics of Xia doing her stuff.

Riley was there too. There was all so much happening that it's still sinking in but Riley said that the most amazing part for her was watching Xia turn from a dog that went out the gate to a dog that was very keen. She was in the little yard first and didn't like that at all (and went out the gate), so we went straight to a bigger yard and she went out the gate in the first minute or so, anyway a few things were done (eg. another dog brought in) to get her to realise that she could move the sheep and at some point there she realised that she could, and that was basically it - she had found her calling.

Vickie said she has good natural distance and balance. :thumbsup: And several people told me she is a "good dog".

I expect I'll be too busy to get back there for another couple of months but that's OK. We've had a go and she likes it and she has the ability to be good at it. And I think that I'll be able to learn although it might take some time! That's enough for now.

I was sooooooooooooo hoping you would post about this!!!!!!!

To say I am UTTERLY GOBSMACKED would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!!! Today was my first experience with herding, went for a look see to see if it would interest me with Rosie (she stayed home as last vac's are next week).

I was LUCKY enough to meet Sidoney and the beautiful Xia, to see her when she first went in, running under the gate, avoiding the sheep at all cost and total focused on Sidoney, I was worried that she wasn't going to do it.

Then...... all of a sudden some sort of SWITCH FLIPPED in Xia's head, I have NEVER in my life seen a SWITCH FLICK like this.

She just all of a sudden started doing what she was born to do, she was graceful and beautiful and it was like reading the most beautiful poem or seeing the most gorgeous art.

I'm sorry to rave on and on but you have to see it to believe it. Both Sidoney and I had tears in our eyes and hugged and we only met each other for the first time today!!! ;)

Xia is an INCREDIBLE dog and SOOOOO many that were there were just like WOWWWWWW!!!!!

Well done Sidoney and well done Xia :thumbsup:

Thanx for inviting me Vickie :thumbsup: and let's not even get me started on what a beauty and amazing dog Trim is :rofl:

Love

Riles

Thanx for inviting me Vickie :thumbsup: and let's not even get me started on what a beauty and amazing dog Trim is :rofl:

Well...you could start just a tiny bit :eek: I won't mind...honest :rofl:

Honestly today was what herding is all about for me, meeting new people, hanging out with mates, laughing, crying and sharing high & low points together.

I had a great day and you're right Sidoney, there was never a chance that she wouldn't work, but it doesn't make it any less special when she did. She's going to be great & I think you have an idea of the fun you're both going to have. I'm really honoured that I was there to see it.

SO! I got 2 new people hooked on herding today! Can't wait to see little Rosie have a go too. Again...what a lovely day, thanks guys for sharing it with me. It was lovely to meet you Riley & I think you're going to fit right in out there (if only you'd shut up for a minute :) ) :rofl:

Oh yeah, I do have pics & a few of them are good ones. I just can't get them on my bloody computer to post. Yesterday the flash stick worked :thumbsup: today is doesn't ;) .

If I didn't have a new camera, I'd want a new computer.

Well...you could start just a tiny bit  I won't mind...honest

Trim just blew my mind, made the sheep go up onto a high platform and got them to jump off and before you could blink your eye she was at the other end to catch them, it's like WTFFFFF???????????? :thumbsup: Are my eyes deceiving me ;)

I cannot comprehend that with the right breeding they come outta the whelping box that way :rofl:

I have been totally stuck on finding something that just had me gooooo OMGGGG that is sooooooooo what I want to do and now thanx to Trim and Vickie, I found it :thumbsup:

(if only you'd shut up for a minute  )

Ahahahaha :) None of it made sense anyway, brain could not compute what the eyes were seeing, even ACCIDENTLY said the F word in front of children ONCE!!! Definately pulled myself up then :rofl: Sorry Sidoney :rofl:

Riles

LOLOL!!! And they have NEVER heard that word either!! (note heavy sarcasm)

Have you seen top level agility yet? That is awesome too. The difference is that the dog is not working on instinct but with direction (sometimes very subtle direction) from the handler. When you get high speed and a high level of teamwork between handler and dog, it's wonderful to watch, almost like a high speed dance. (Although when you get a team that blunders around the course, generally because of a training deficit from the handler, it's painful.)

BTW when Xia got home she ate a big chicken carcass and has mostly just slept since then.

Edited by sidoney

LOLOL!!! And they have NEVER heard that word either!! (note heavy sarcasm)

I know but I was embarrassed :thumbsup: I normally can show a bit of decorum you know but that dog of yours :shakehead:

BTW when Xia got home she ate a big chicken carcass and has mostly just slept since then.

Can totally understand why ;)

Have you seen top level agility yet?

Nope, I think there is a lot I have been missing out on which ceases today!

She really did you proud Sidoney, give her a scratch and a cuddle from me :thumbsup:

Love

Riles

Edited by Riley

Guest cloverfdch
I cannot comprehend that with the right breeding they come outta the whelping box that way

Amazing isn't it Riley, they are awsome dogs :p.

I would have loved to have been there, it sounds like it was a great day (We didn't get to go today, so i am jealous) :(.

She just all of a sudden started doing what she was born to do, she was graceful and beautiful and it was like reading the most beautiful poem or seeing the most gorgeous art.

That is the perfet way to describe it ;), beautiful.

*sigh*

Guest cloverfdch

Just gorgeous :p, she is looking good. Love that photo of Trim aswell ;).

Oh how did Zest go?

Edited by cloverfdch

Oh how did Zest go?

FAST!!! :p

He isn't very stylish but very keen & very trainable. He responded well to pressure from the handler. I'll keep taking him as long as I have him. He'll definitely work, it's hard to tell how though & he's still very young. But I was very encouraged by today.