Xia Is A Sheep Dog

After seeing Zest over 2 days, I think he'd make a great performance dog. He's fast and keen and has high prey drive which can be shaped for whatever sport (think he'd go great in agility, flyball), but he's also attentive and responsive. Plus he's not a timid dog, he's confident and looks like he'd handle trial situations well. He also has a good athletic build. He'd be great for someone who wants a dog where they know what they are getting - he's got it all there to go on with.

BTW I love the smile on the dial in those piccies of Xia!!!

Edited by sidoney

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xiaaaaa OMGGGG those pics just make me want to be out there again :mad

Zest was amazing, really hard headed at first but in the end started getting it and was doing really well, not bad for a suposed poundie ;)

Oh and that funny coloured border collie is laying in front of the thing that she put the sheep over, JUST AMAZING :)

Riles

Edited to add: for someone that was so against working breeds as pets, I'm convereted, I'm now a firm believer that as long as you are working them in some way, be it agility, herding, etc, it can work :p I also realised that I need a dog that is smart :) The Goose on DOL needs a dog that thinks :(

Edited by Riley

Oh and that funny coloured border collie is laying in front of the thing that she put the sheep over, JUST AMAZING :p

Had to post this for you Riles (BTW, it's called a bridge, if you're gonna hang around these places, you gotta learn the lingo) ;)

post-9-1123328527.jpg

Thank you all so much for sharing today with the rest of us. :mad

Reading the whole thing and then seeing the pics was just wonderful, I could feel some of what it must have been like for you guys. :(

I am totally green with envy, and have to get me an eye full of this herding action in the near future. You are all to blame! ;)

Thank you all once again. A lovely, real, heartfelt thread. Just gorgeous. And what a wonderful day for all concerned. :p

Had to post this for you Riles (BTW, it's called a bridge, if you're gonna hang around these places, you gotta learn the lingo)

Absaaaaalutelyyyy.... wouldn't want to embarrass you :p

That'll do! (funny first time I head that was on Babe, to hear today you guys saying it I was like OMG, it's real ;) )

Edited to add: "That'll do" = don't chase the sheep no more :mad

Thanx so much Vickie, I'm hooked :(

Riles

Edited by Riley

Oh and that funny coloured border collie is laying in front of the thing that she put the sheep over, JUST AMAZING :p

Had to post this for you Riles (BTW, it's called a bridge, if you're gonna hang around these places, you gotta learn the lingo) ;)

:( you should of taken trim to Nyngan today she would of given Pip Hudson a run for his money as he was the one who did not once get the sheep over the bridge thingy amazing stuff. Zest looks good too

Guest Tess32

Great pics :p

I'm also gonna try some herding when I get my act together (er well, not me, the dogs) as I think it's the most amazing thing to watch and be part of.

Nat

It is addictive. I personally like to see the first timers, where a dog has the sudden moment of realisation of what it is all about. I know my collie first time stood and looked bemused, then once out the ring she suddenly got what it was all about and was desperate to get back in there with the sheep.

It is addictive. I personally like to see the first timers, where a dog has the sudden moment of realisation of what it is all about. I know my collie first time stood and looked bemused, then once out the ring she suddenly got what it was all about and was desperate to get back in there with the sheep.

So Collies will have a good go at it? I know they come from a herding background but there just doesn't seem that many out there doing it.

Riles

Oooohh! I'm sooo jealous. Looking at all those photos and reading this thread made me really emotional! I really enjoy seeing and reading about 'first times' - when a dog discovers what he was born to do! I've only been able to attend one herding workshop. My Kelpie (rescue) who had never shown interest in any sheep before (ones out of his reach in padocks) 'came alive' after his first go...I have never seen him so excited about anything, he was trembling all over and couldn't take his eyes off them...Not to mention the non-stop whining! And my Koolie who only thinks ducks and chooks are herdable, suddenly discovered sheep in the last minute of her last go. I can't wait till we do that again. Hopefully she'll take off where we finished last time. Does anyone know where the closest regular 'herding classes' are to Bendigo (if there are any)?

So Collies will have a good go at it? I know they come from a herding background but there just doesn't seem that many out there doing it.

In victoria quite a large number have passed their instinct tests. Going on from there is harder if you dont have regular access to sheep. We are trying - though her attempt at PT the other day was quite appalling :p . But there are a few collies with passes at the higher levels in the VCA trials. There are some pics on the collie club of victoria site and the herding association of victoria site of collies and sheep.

I really enjoy seeing and reading about 'first times' - when a dog discovers what he was born to do!

That was most definately my highlight for the day, just incomprehensible to this old chooks brain I tell ya :mad I'll be definately out there when Sidoney takes her back in a few months :p

But there are a few collies with passes at the higher levels in the VCA trials. There are some pics on the collie club of victoria site and the herding association of victoria site of collies and sheep.

My donka computer won't let me look at the pics but thanx so much for the link ;)

If I move to where I think I will be in a years time, just may have to go and rent a vacant block and put some sheep on it so we can pratice all the time :(

Riles

Xia and Fiona,

You have made grandma (human and dog) very proud - go the little yellow kelpie -you will be hooked now that you have started.

Can't wait to see her competing - in everything, Agility, Herding, Flyball etc

Vickie, question for you - lovely shot on the bridge, just one question you don't ever let your dog walk off the end of the bridge - do you!!!

Neece, the Kelpies, Billie the Border and Travis the poodle

Re Bendigo Herding Classes - if you call the Working Kelpie Council or the Victorian Working Sheepdog Association - they will be able to put you in touch with local people who can help with your trianing.

Neece, the kelpies, billie the border and Travis the poodle

Hi Avenglenn

I assume by your name that you own Avenpart Kelpies??

If so, could you tell me a little bit about them and what sort of temperament they have. I have heard they can be somewhat skittish, but I tend not to listen to rumours. I will be getting another Kelpie in about a year's time and am doing my research on the different lines. We currently have a Beloka line which carries some Puds as well. She is of lovely temperament but is a little nervy (comes from Puds line).

Any info would be great!! :thumbsup:

Vickie, question for you - lovely shot on the bridge, just one question you don't ever let your dog walk off the end of the bridge - do you!!! 

:thumbsup: Yup. I guess that's bad? I'm thinking I'd better learn some rules, before I enter her in a trial. Any help much appreciated! Are the 3 sheep rules on line anywhere?

I haven't been told different by anyone. Only comments that I got was that that it's good that she was so willing to walk up after the sheep her first time, so I assumed it was OK. Mostly she wants to walk up a bit & then if I let her, she'd backtrack & fly around to the head as they go through.

Edited by Vickie

Hi Kelpie-i, in case Denise doesn't get back soon, the McCrabbs own Avenpart and Denise and her husband (Glenn) own Avenpart-bred Kelpies and their bitches are part of the Avenpart breeding programme, so Mary (McCrabb) has input into the breeding and also all puppies carry the Avenpart prefix. My Xia was bred by Denise, under the Avenpart aegis. She has one sister training for agility and her other siblings are working on properties.

I only have one Avenpart kelpie so that's not much of a sample - but I can tell you she is certainly not skittish! Anyway, Denise can tell you much, much more about that.

Mostly she wants to walk up a bit & then if I let her, she'd backtrack & fly around to the head as they go through.

I noticed that when I was watching. Not that I knew what was right or wrong. It was obvious that her preferred way was not to follow them over, but to meet them on the ground.