My Sick Little Girl

Lulu has seemed to be a little out of sorts since Monty (our foster) came along. We noticed that one of the dogs had diarreah yesterday but thought it was Monty until I found today that it was Lulu. She has been very quiet and not herself and I was wondering if it could be stress induced from having another dog in her domain.

Things like taking her toys, hanging around her while she is eating keeping her on edge. Where Lulu used to follow me everywhere, Monty now is and she seems to prefer to stay away from him. If I am cuddling her, up comes Monty looking for some love to. We never had this problem with the two dogs, but three seems to have pushed her over the edge.

Monty will be going to his new foster home tomorrow morning, so it is not a long term issue, but was after advice as to if this infact stress or anxiety? What is the best way to help her?

Ange

Edited by fifi trixibell

My poor baby is not well at all :laugh: . Still has diarreah, very quiet, won't even sit down without whincing.

Will take her to the vet today - perhaps her glands are swollen up from not pooing properly for nearly 3 days.

Will update once we find out what is going on.

Ange

When we moved from Sydney to Perth, Casper started having diarrhoea and he had it for two months. Vet said to feed him boiled rice and chicken. I tried that as well as every other food combination without success. Then I tried Rescue Remedy (actually the pharmacy I bought it in makes their own as well as something similar for gastric problems - I bought both and gave him both). I may have overdosed him a little as instead of his usual constant pacing, he slept for 2 days only getting up to eat and go toilet. It has now been 10 days and he has not had diarrhoea since.

Try giving her some Rescue Remedy - it might take the edge off enough to help destress her and get her tummy back to normal.

Tell us how you go.

Thanks Chicko - I will give her a hug for you :laugh:

WSM - I went an bought some rescue remedy during lunch and will keep it on hand. I have heard about it here often but never tried it on myself or the dogs.

I suppose I will see what the vet says and use it if it seems the right thing. I am assuming the vet will just say to give her boiled chicken and rice and wait it out.

Will send an update tonight. She will go to the vets in about 3 hours.

Thanks guys

Ange

Well, it is a little more serious than stress :eek:

The vet said that her intestines were inflamed and her colon very fragile. Poor baby. Her glands were swollen (I knew they were from how she winced when she scooted on the floor) and when he drained/squeezed them Lulu was crying so badly :laugh: I hate to see her in pain. He waited a while before doing the next gland but just as bad. She is very sore and inflammed.

I can't remember the name of the diagnosis - intestinal, intes . . . not gastro because she is not vomiting. He has given me some canned food to give her that is intolerant friendly so I will give her twice daily and see if that helps her upset tummy.

If she starts to vomit - straight back to the vet. Hopefully it will clear up within a few days. She also got a dose of all wormer just in case it is worms - she is due now for her next dose anyway. If she hasn't improved by Friday (7 days from the start of diarreah) then she will have to get a biopsy on her colon :thumbsup:

Poor baby :p

Ange

Ange,

Is Lulu the one that had the problems with the fish before? I wonder if the are connected?

It might be worth asking if there could be an underlying problem like Irritable Bowel Syndrome or an allergy?

I hope it all settles down and she is ok!

Dan

Thanks guys - your support is very appreciated :laugh:

Dan - He did say it could possibily be an intolerance to food. I did mention to the Vet that she has not had another actual reaction to her food as she did with the fish, but have noticed sometimes that her "eyebrows" seem a little bigger after some meals. He said that it may be a food intolerance. I have been thinking for a while that the dry food they are on probably has trace amounts of fish to boost the protein levels so it may have built up in her over time.

We were trying to piece the puzzle together as to what may have been introduced and realised that the girls weren't on dry food last week (we ran out) but we got some more for when Monty came so they had it on Friday night. She fell sick on Saturday :thumbsup:

Hopefully it clears up and I will definately be looking for an allergy friendly dry food for her.

She seems a little better this morning in the fact that she no longer has diarreah, however is still a little sluggish. One of the girls threw up last night but I don't know which one. I think it is a safe bet that it was Lulu but ??.

Grant is going to try and get home from midday to keep an eye on them because I have to work. I am going to call the vet and tell them that one of them one of them threw up and should I bring Lulu in.

Ange :p

Ange,

:thumbsup: Working out this stuff can be sooooo difficult! Look at the ingredients listed on the bag, that's a good place to start... you can test them on the things idvidually to see if they work.

Does she have mucous or jelly on / in her poos? That's a sign of colitis and means the bowel is iritated by something.

If you aren't getting anywhere get a referral to the dermatology clinic at Murdoch. Its expensive, but both the Dermatologists are lovely and they know their stuff!

PM me if you want to talk about it any more... both of mine have allergies... its hard work!

Dan

No, no mucus.

I jumped online and the 4th product is fish meal in their dry food. It seems like the most possible explanation.

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil),

I think that actually having her tested is the best means of knowing what is going on. There are just so many variables involved.

I will PM you.

Ange

Lulu is much better. She is alert and chasing Lily and yes, wagging her tail which was too painful to do yesterday.

Her stools are much better, not as thick/hard as they should be but much better than the diarreah before.

I am so relieved :worship::worship:

Definately no more dry food for her though. I will call the vet and let them know she is better and perhaps ask about putting her on the allergy sensitive puppy food for intestinal/allergy problems pending our getting her tested - pending referral from the vet.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and support :thumbsup: - horrible thing when the furbabies are sick. Make you realise how much of a part of your life they are.

Ange