Red Cattle Dog Does Any One Know

mgeyer

does any one who owns a red cattle dog hav the same problems as me?

i have a red cattle dog ive had for 17 years for the last 16 years everytime a female dogs on heat in the area he bleeds from his penis , and howles constantly , he is generally cheaked at the vet and he has extremely high hormones , he is still a virgin and has never mated , he is also epeleptic and has had since birth well since i found him dumped at 2 days old in a creekbed . im just wondering if anybodiy elses cattle dog has the same problems that we could share tips on about general maintance on these issues and maybe igf they know any new medication or herbs that could ease it and keeping clean the pavers and other things he comes in contact with when this happens ( which is normally 2 weeks out of the month )

it has been happeneing for 16 years and all different vets say the same thing he has high hormones, its not flowing out but it drips from his willy and he howles rams the gates and scratches at the door any thing to get out to find them . it basically sends him insane no biteing or anything like that just extremly horny i find spots of blood everywhere all over the pavers and steps on the lawn they are about 1 cent in diameter there has never been chunks or anything like that

excellent piont and yes you are correct he is not desexed , and yes im am probably doing wrong for not getting it done before , but its really only gotten worse the last year and i was think being 17 years old maybe it could kill him if i got it done or maybe i am scared that now it could be cancer i honestly think he only has a couple years left and it will rip me in half when it happens i have spent everyday of his life together , do u think i should get him desexed and if so do u think he will stop or itsd to late

It could be risky to put a 17 year old dog under anaesthetic, but it depends on the type of anaesthetic used by the vet.

Bleeding from the penis, whether or not it coincides with females being on heat, is definately not a good thing. You should get your vet to check the problem further, do tests etc.

Although, if he's been having the problem for 16 years and is otherwise healthy, it may not be worth doing anything about...

Edited by bowser

the same piont the vet says , and yes he is a very happy and healthy for a 17 year old dog he plays ball but cannt run far and eats fine and he doesnt even lick when he does bleed my vet had told me with his epelepsy and his age he would expect him to be so healthy , and happy i just thought maybe other people with dogs even the same breed had simalar problems so i guess he is original , he is my best mate so money is never a problem to outlay for him it was just male pride why i never got him desexed then in later life i just said he is to old. i have even tought him to collect the chicken eggs without cracking them he collects them in the yard and brings them to a bucket

Hi mgeyer

Well I have a red ACD however its a girl so not much help there ;)

Could you discuss with your vet some form of hormone treatment to settle the dog ?

this might sound odd , but does he lick himself or hump an object that could cause an irriation ?

If he was my dog , I don't think I would consider getting him fixed at his age , actually he's doing extremely well hey , 17 years old !

yep we want pics !

Hermaphrodite?

Jacq (Cordelia's) had one recently, and there was a thread with a lot of info in it...

I think usually they have a really small penis though??

ETA - hermaphrodite buttercup - here tis.

Also read in another thread as I was searching that it's usually not diagnosed till adulthood, and then due to behavioural issues...

Edited by Mana

Could you discuss with your vet some form of hormone treatment to settle the dog ?

That's a good idea - perhaps the vet could give him a shot of female hormone to settle him down a little? That would have the same effect as being de-sexed, but would not involved the anasthetic. And would be reversible if you didn't like the effects. :champagne:

Bowser and Dogbesotted has a good point also - have you told the vet about the bleeding? Maybe book him an appointment when the bleeding is happening, so the vet can see it and rule out any serious health problems.

we have giving him hormone needles before and it normally worked his prostate is fine we had scott ( my cattledog) cheaked out last year and the only thing the vet could say what was wrong was a bit of arthritis in his hip witch is normal for such an old dog , now well the last three years not even hormones will stop him gettin extremely horny to piont he happens, i have thought of letting breed with a cattle dog any maybe let him do it for the first time since birth but i am a true believer that there is to many unloved dogs out there to breed more, this problem sounds to be concern but after doing it his whole life its no problem to him what i mean is he doesnt get sick in anyway he eats normal runs and plays ,

but this year for the first time ever he actually got angry at rookie my kelpie cross saugage dog and wouldnt stop picking at him, my vet has attened scott since birth and is fully aware of his bleeding , i know what the problem is i just need advice or wanted to know if other peoples dog has this problem , i also think i could of done it to him you see i found him 17years ago my mother and i was riding the horses over stoney creek when my mum seen a bag on the side of the creek when we loooked in there was 5 pupps new born we took them to the vet but 4 died on the way he told us then that scott had to be put down as he wouldnt survive but i took him home and keeped him on a frypan and raised him like my child , if there is no dog on heat his bleeding doesnt happen but as soon as neighbours dog on heat he atsrts his howling and panting and really gettin worked up normally when i see this i take his straight down to get a needle but as i said the last three years the female hormone has done nothing , so i think maybe after doing it his whole life maybe its just in the brain to react like that