Dog Poll

What is the best choice of dog for a family?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best choice of dog for a family?

• A poodle
    • A suluki
    • A german shepard
    • A husky
    • A border collie
    • A labrador

I'm not voting. Too many variables. So much depends on the family's lifestyle, children's age, home, preferences for temperament etc.

There's no such thing as the perfect family dog. However, there may be the perfect dog for a PARTICULAR family. :angel:

Yes it does depend on a lot of things. What I am trying to work out is why that list? It doesn't appear to be based on any sort of criteria eg energy levels, size etc. Maybe if you said a bit about your family and what you are looking for in a dog (eg obedience, companionship etc) we might be able to answer the question a little better, but it is impossible just to choose out of a list (especially that one) what is the best family breed. Although I can say CERTAINLY not a husky! (Though that depends on a lot of things too!).

I thought you said on the other thread that the pup was a Husky/Chow mix?

Sibes can be great pets - for very active families who understand their temperament and the challenges that come with owning and training an independent breed.

No dog makes a great family pet without adequate training, exercise and care. Your neighbours should be booking the pup in to puppy preschool as soon as its had its first vaccination (which it should have had already) and looking around for a good dog training place. :angel:

Jack Russell

Border Terrier

Greyhound

Whippet

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Pyrenean Mountain Dog

Vizsla

Keeshond

Newfoundland

Leonberger

Kerry Blue

Soft Coated Wheaten

Lagotto

Papillon

and on and on and on

Depending on the family there are so many choices. The perfect dog for one family can be the worst for another and vice versa.

As others have said too, training can also play a large part.

there is no such thing as a generic 'good dog for a family'

Edited by espinay2

It depends on the family and it's needs.

Just a note, that while Labs are good family dogs they will not suit all families. Labs can be very high energy, shed lots, get overweight easily and are not usually mentally mature until about 3 years old. They can be big boofy dogs that will knock over small chidren, steal their food and get bored and destructive if not stimulated enough. So do not immediately go out and get any old Lab as a family dog.

NOTE: This is not an attacks on Labs, no breed will suit EVERY family and there are good and bads points for every breed. But seeing as most people are saying Lab to this unanswerable question (the old, how long is a piece of string one) I thought it prudent to post the downside of the breed as well.

For young children I often recommend a Whippet, older, more boisterous children I will recommend a Boxer, and very gentle little girls I will recommend a Papillon. It is just so hard to say without knowing the situation. Are you asking just in relation to your neighbours dog? Or are you looking to get a dog? More info please. Of the list you gave personally I would choose a Saluki, I met one the other day and we stayed together for two nights, he was a brilliant dog, absolutely gorgeous. Can your children be trusted not to let the dog off lead? Something you have to think hard about before getting a sighthound, or any dog for that matter, but particularly a sighthound :champagne:

I didn't vote.

There are a whole heap of other dog breeds not listed which are just as good for a family. Take Great Danes for example (Biased lol) Huge but very gentle, tolerant dogs that love kids (MOST of the time).

Like some people have said not all dogs of all breeds are suitable for all families.

Cheers

Adam

NOTE: This is not an attacks on Labs, no breed will suit EVERY family and there are good and bads points for every breed. But seeing as most people are saying Lab to this unanswerable question (the old, how long is a piece of string one) I thought it prudent to post the downside of the breed as well.

ML - yes what you have said is true. They do underestimate their size when around small children. Not intentional but they do get excited and especially young children topple easily.

I let people know that they dig and they chew - they are also incredibly lovable and loyal as well. But as others have said, depends on your situation.

And I for one hate the old assumption "but labs are fat, lazy dogs".

:rainbowbridge: ;) :)

Definately not true at all !!

A fat dog is a lazy dog - but people make their dog fat !!