Endurance Running

Hi All

I saw on another forum some people discussing taking their dogs on endurance running trials where dog and owner run a certain distance

Does anyone know anything about this or can you point to some info. I did a quick search but couldn;t find anything

It's probably this weeks dumb question :champagne::champagne:

Thanks

Cin

Its based on about 10 km per hour. Which is actually quite slow in most dogs eyes. Its a good jog or an easy bike ride whichever way you do it.

My guys thought it was a bit of a doddle as they were used to going much faster in training for it. So they pulled like the dickens at the beginning, they soon settled down and were raring to go after the breaks.

They came home and then wanted to play games as they were not tired enough. Lots of ball throwing later they had a kip and were back wanting more.

It really is easy for the handler if they ride a bike.... apart from the sore bum :champagne: At 10km per hour, it's an easy pace and I even did it with my Whippet when I had a cold and no training.

For the medium to large sized athletic dogs it should be easy. For the smaller or giant breeds it really can be a test of endurance. Both my boys I have put through got bored with the whole thing....

So it is an endurance test for dogs? Not sure my malamute would handle it and my cattle X is fear agressive so would be a bit stressed by all the other dogs...

Do they have to do obedience at the end of it? Would there be a training club or group in NSW?

Sorry for all the questions !

a lady on this forum did it with her doberman she wrote a really interesting and amusing web page (linked from here)

they do a short obedience test at the end of the 20km after another break

I have a border collie on the smaller size who just never stops, i just have to make sure she settles with the bike next to her ... and my bum can last a decent distance

The obedience is really basic, it is on lead just heeling and a couple of turns and a come back/recall on lead. It is not to test obedience just to check the dog is behaving the same at the start and finish. I forgot to say they do it before the run and at the finish.

Everyone should do it, it is really a fun morning out apart from a sore butt

a lady on this forum did it with her doberman she wrote a really interesting and amusing web page (linked from here)

That would be "Caslero", she has a great ET story on her web page

Should the handler ride a bicycle, a helmet must be worn. The springer device for attachment to a bicycle is not permitted.

Why isnt the springer allowed to be used???

I don't get that either - I love my springer, its a fantastic invention!

Hi guys - thanks for the mention.....

Here's the links to the stories of the Endurance Tests I did with my two Dobes:

http://www.caslerodobes.homestead.com/ETTest.html

http://www.caslerodobes.homestead.com/CaseyET.html

I also did the ET with a friend's Dobe two weekends ago and he passed with flying colours.... but those first 6kms were a doozy - he was chasing the Border Terrier in front of him and I didn't even pedal and rode with the brake on for the first 6kms!!! Yikes!!!!! :champagne: