Bones

It depends on the bones. And what percentage of bone (as opposed to the meat that is attached to the bone) is consumed in the diet.

Usually I would say a diet should be no more than about 10% consumed bone overall.

again, that is the amount of BONE consumed, and does not include the meat that is attached to it.

You will tell if there is a high content of bone in the diet. Poos will be white, hard, dry and crumbly coming out (this is different from turning white later BTW). These are ok from time to time, but I wouldn't want to be seeing them all the time. If you are seeing them all the time, I would be increasing the percentage of meat in the diet.

Remember that if you want you can feed all or most of your meat 'on the bone' in the form of Raw MEATY Bones. So theoretically, the dog would be getting 'lots of bones' possibly every day. However, it is the amount of bone consumed in relation to the amount of meat in the diet overall that is relevant, not the number of 'bones' he gets.

Edited by espinay2

You will tell if there is a high content of bone in the diet. Poos will be white, hard, dry and crumbly coming out (this is different from turning white later BTW). These are ok from time to time, but I wouldn't want to be seeing them all the time. If you are seeing them all the time, I would be increasing the percentage of meat in the diet.

Remember that if you want you can feed all or most of your meat 'on the bone' in the form of Raw MEATY Bones. So theoretically, the dog would be getting 'lots of bones' possibly every day. However, it is the amount of bone consumed in relation to the amount of meat in the diet overall that is relevant, not the number of 'bones' he gets.

Thanks Espinay2....glad you mentioned the POO bit.

This was half the reason I brought up the thread. Max went thru a phase where we was eating his poo but we got that under control. He has just this week started it up again. My OH said he thought it was because he had been having too many bones.

So that was helpful. THANK-YOU

ahhh ok.

By Bear getting bones once a week, I meant the big marrow bones. I wasn't even thinking of all the other things I give him.

As for other bones like chicken necks, chicken wings etc, he gets them much more often!

I'm sure there is a limit on marrow bones right? To much marrow is not great right? I'm sure I have asked or seen this before?

I am not a big fan of marrow bones for dogs in the way a lot of people feed them. In the wild these leg bones are the ones most often left. they are very hard weight bearing bones. They can break teeth. Even worse is when they are cut with a saw. This exposes hard bone edges and because of the way they are cut, dogs are encouraged to chew on these edges. IMO the best way to give marrow bones if you want to give them is whole, not cut. This way the dog is encouraged to knaw on the softer ends and not the hard middle. There is no need at all IMO to cut the bone to expose the marrow. Marrow is just fat when you get down to it.

Never given a cut bone before - the butcher always asked and I say no. I was told that they can splinter and the dogs can choke.

When I went to the butcher today they gave me a bone that was still connected if you know what I mean as in a L shape and she said it won't pull apart, it has to be cut? They can be cut in a certain direction and they are alright can't they? Like not long ways but accross or something?

Bear never ever chews through them, he just gets the meat of it and carries them around everywhere!

Edited by Alibear

O.K. I am going to put the cat amongst the pidgeons are I have been adviced by a reputable breeder Bones and Raw Food are no good for your domestic dog ( BARF DIET ) .. Chicken bones are the worst it only take some time for the intestine to be come packed or torn.

NO bones or pigs ears dangerous. Those raw hides are BAD they are dehided with formaldehyde and also they can choke on them .. Pigs ears have TOO much SALT which is also bad for dogs as well as people .... Raw meat or raw bones or cooked bones are no no,s get them some nice natural dog biscuits and for their chewing pleasure like the nyalabones put them in the dishwahsher to steralize them when they drag them all over or wash them and scrub them in hot water to clean them ....

Edited by gossco57

get them some nice natural dog biscuits

dog biscuits are not natural, they are human made. Dogs fending for themselves in the wild do not find biscuits scattered around for them to eat.

My dogs are fed raw meaty bones every day and get cut marrow bones about 3 times a week. Never had a problem. They also get the occasional pig ear but they are very fatty so it is a rare treat for them. I have been feeding a raw diet for over 11 years now with no problems related to the diet.

Rebane. I am not critizing anyone we all do what we think is best for our animals. It happened to be a very interesing article that was passed on to me and I thought people may find it thought provoking. I have the complete document if you would like to read it but being new to the forum I am unsure if such a large article coluld be posted however if you wish me to send it to you I will. Thanks

I have read articles and heard comments like these before too but have to add this from my own personal experience.

My dogs have always eaten raw bones, and raw meat.

The only problem I have ever had in over 30 years of raising, training, breeding and living with many dogs of different breeds and sizes, is one little person who ate everyone else chicken necks and was constipated afterwards.

I was told many years ago that small hairless folk cannot eat hard foods.

I havent found anything hard enough yet casue mine eat anything.

My dogs eat a wide variety of foods, including raw chicken peices, mutton/lamb bones, beef bones, and a variety of meats, I have never personally had a problem.

The only bone injurys I have seen in my years of Vet nursing have been caused by dogs eating cooked bones, and a couple of dogs that had bones stuck between their back teeth.

This is just from my personal experience.

My dogs probably get bones every day, but they get them with a wide variety of foods and they are meaty bones. Constipation is not an issue if the dogs are eating meaty bones and not just munching on clean recreational bones.

I have the complete document if you would like to read it but being new to the forum I am unsure if such a large article coluld be posted however if you wish me to send it to you I will. Thanks

Thanks Grossco57 for the offer but all my research indicates that man made food is not natural and that is what I prefer to feed my dogs - natural food that they evolved on.

Different people have different opinions. All I can say is after over 10 years of feeding NO commercial dog food and a diet based on raw meaty bones/bones and raw food I will never go back. I know many breeders who have done the same for even longer than me.

I will see your reputable breeder and raise you another ten (and still leave myself a pile for future betting :rofl: )

Before you can really judge what she has researched and found out you would have to read the whole document.

If you would lke a copy let me know and I will forward it to you via Email.

You may find you would have a clearer picture of what in fact they have researched

Regards goss57

Edited by gossco57