Hi Shek

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble

I have nothing to add

as Dante gustes everything she can

I hope you find an answer soon

Keep your chin up, will he eat chicken mince with vegies,

Ellz:

Was this comment TRULY necessary? 

Ellz, it seems to me from the posts I've read that one of the reasons that Shekina is insistent that her pup eat the kibble is the price she paid for it. Perhaps I misread the situation but it does seem that Shekina is taking the pup's refusal to eat the food she has selected for it more than a little personally.

Sometimes you have to put your feelings on the issue aside and look at it from the dog's point of view. The dog doesn't like the kibble. Its perfectly happy to eat other things that are not 'icecream' or 'treats' but merely palatable. Comparisons with human thoughts on food are not the same.

If I'm wrong then perhaps Shekina can explain why she is prepared to force the dog to eat one food when it clearly doesn't want to.

As I said, this pup IS eating... just not the kibble that Shekina wants it to. :kissbetter:

Why not try ANOTHER kibble or two?

Edited by poodlefan

Ellz, it seems to me from the posts I've read that one of the reasons that Shekina is insistent that her pup eat the kibble is the price she paid for it. Perhaps I misread the situation but it does seem that Shekina is taking the pup's refusal to eat the food she has selected for it more than a little personally.

Sometimes you have to put your feelings on the issue aside and look at it from the dog's point of view. The dog doesn't like the kibble. Its perfectly happy to eat other things that are not 'icecream' or 'treats' but merely palatable. Comparisons with human thoughts on food are not the same.

If I'm wrong then perhaps Shekina can explain why she is prepared to force the dog to eat one food when it clearly doesn't want to.

As I said, this pup IS eating... just not the kibble that Shekina wants it to. :kissbetter:

Why not try ANOTHER kibble or two?

OK, I will explain.

I am NOT forcing my dog to eat something he doesn't consider palatable...he wont eat chicken mince either! He wont eat tuna, or sardines, or beef mince. If I cared about how much I paid for dog food do you really think I'd go out and buy something so expensive?? NO. I bought the expensive food because I thought it would be good for him. I'm wanting him to eat it because he can't eat chicken wings his whole life. If he continually ate other things like mince and sardines etc etc I wouldn't worry...but he's not.

For a start I think that four meals per day is too many, I only ever feed puppies three times a day and for a puppy like this who's refusing food I would cut it back to twice daily. I would also dump the kibble and keep the chicken wings, if you can get him to eat a little cooked liver a few times a week and maybe some lamb flap you will have a reasonably complete diet. If you are finding wings too expensive, try him with chicken frames, I can buy them for $1.40 kg and six frames cost me about $3.00. A brisket bone a couple of times a week will help him with teething too.

I really can't understand why you are so insistent on feeding him kibble, plenty of large breed dogs are raised very successfully without commercial dog food and if he doesn't like it and absolutely refuses to eat it I can't see any point in continuing. Chicken wings are good food and kibble, depending on the brand, may be adequate or just plain bad.

If you are worried about raising the puppy 'sans kibble' check out the rawbreeder group on Yahoo, you may find it helpful.

Shekina:

I'm wanting him to eat it because he can't eat chicken wings his whole life.

Actually, he can. Raw chicken on the bone forms the basis of many a raw fed dog's diet.

OK Plan B. He'll eat chicken wings... so if you segment them and mix them into other food, will he eat that or pull them out..?

I haven't tried the liver, so I'll give that a go. I've tried mixing things in with his food, and he just picks the thing he likes out and leaves everything else.

Also, its not that I'm so insistant upon him eating kibble...he wont eat other things either.

Maybe you need to change what you feed him?

Don't give him anymore Kibble. Both my two HATE kibble - refuse point blank to eat it.

It might also be upsetting him - maybe he has a problem digesting it.

Only give him two meals a day and things that you know he will eat. Narrow it down - mince for breaksfast and chicken wings for dinner. It is better that he eats something rather than trying to prove a point - I think it have gone beyond that now.

Tex was a problem eater.

When he was a pup - all he would eat was PAL puppy food, milk, cheese and raw meat - beef only. That was it.

So that what I feed him.

As he got older - I introduced more food into his diet and did it slowly so that he got a taste for it. He was about 10mths when he decided that most food was OK and pretty much ate anything.

He can still is fussy with meat - he really only likes beef. But he eats nearly eveything else - he loves his fruit and vegies and Pasta.

Edited by Ci

I haven't tried the liver, so I'll give that a go.

Don't give him too much at first 'cos it'll go straight through him, it's best mixed in with other food so maybe crumble it up and sprinkle it over his chicken wings? Dogs that are picky eaters are a real pain in the butt, I sympathise with you wholeheartedly :kissbetter:

Well, considering that this whole subject was discussed with Shekhina's vet and she TOTALLY agreed with my thoughts and analogies, given that she has a demonstrated degree in Veterinary Science, I'm happy to go with her agreement to my comparisons.

It seems to me that you are totally fixated on the price of the kibble, moreso than Shekhina is. If you read ALL of the posts concerning this puppy, in this thread and others you would probably get a far better idea of the background and methods which have been discussed, trialled and discarded.

What it comes down to is that dog taste buds are not developed as highly as our own. They do NOT live to eat, they eat to LIVE. There is a BIG difference. Many dogs would rather eat sh!t than something good, but does that mean that they are allowed to?

I'm sure Shekhina welcomes the constructive comments, but can live without the nasty ones.

But if a dog doesn't like kibble - it doesn't like kibble.

Why keep trying to get it to eat it, when it won't. :kissbetter:

I tried to get my two to eat it for a few weeks because someone insisted to me how good it was for them and how important it was for them to eat it. This was when they were about 2yrs old and both of them ate pretty much anything. But not kibble!

They refused every time, point blank - so I got the hint - They simply did not like it and were not going to eat it - so I stopped giving it to them. Less stressful for me!

Edited by Ci

But if a dog doesn't like kibble - it doesn't like kibble.

Why keep trying to get it to eat it, when it won't.

And you're missing the point as well.

The issue is NOT just kibble. THAT is the issue that other posters have chosen to focus on.

The issue is that the puppy will not eat ANYTHING except for ONE thing which is fine when fed with an otherwise balanced diet but is NOT healthy on its own.

I am going to say this one more time...

it is not just the kibble he will not eat...it is also mince of any kind, sardines, tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese etc etc.

chicken wings are all that he will eat

this is not just about the kibble

ETA: must have been posting at the same time ellz :kissbetter:

Edited by shekhina

No I am not.

If it is removed from his diet and replaced by something else - he might just get enough curiousty to see whats in his food bowl rather than "I bet it is the yucky stuff again".

The only time I tried to give any of my dogs kibble the reaction wasn't a good one and as soon as they saw that it was in their bowls - they would just walk away.

Narrow down his diet to what you KNOW he will eat and focus on ONLY that food. Stop giving him things he refuses to eat.

Once he starts to enjoy eating again and looking forward to meal time and whats in his food bowl - slowly add little bits of other things in his diet so that he gets a taste for them.

Have you tried PAL puppy food - most pups enjoy it? it is not perfect but it alteast may get his taste buds going?

Edited by Ci

Hey Shek, wasn't there some liver or something equally slimy in Matt's Mince? What did he do with that, do you recall?

Yep there was. He hasn't eaten it for quite some time now, I still offer it but wont touch it...perhaps I should find one of those slimy red things and put it right on the top and see what he does with it.

Kovu who was fussy with the mince at first now loves it. After realising that he wasn't getting Bonnie anymore he figured he better eat it, now he hounds me for it as soon as I bring it home and try to sort it into bags :kissbetter:

No I am not.

Narrow down his diet to what you KNOW he will eat and focus on only that food.

But you ARE. The kibble (or not) is the least of his problems.

NO dog can remain healthy on JUST chicken wings and that is ALL...LITERALLY ALL the puppy will eat.

Chicken wings are NOT a balanced diet on their own. And I for one wouldn't like to be the poor little guy trying to squeeze anything out of his rear end either!!!!!