which is great for them but I am not cooking liver in my kitchen

hence Dante and Ty dont get it

but try it cooked he might enjoy it

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can sooo sympathise Shekina. Did you try what I mentioned on the other list? Of making sure the food is raised? I had a Rotti pup who refused to eat and she got terribly skinny, had blood/urine tests done, all to find out that she simply had heartburn which she grew out of :kissbetter: I know how worried/frustrated you must be, it's awful thinking they aren't getting adequate nutrition especially as a baby. I'm sure he'll snap out of it soon enough, but good luck in the meantime :)

Interesting thread.

I have had pups that refuse to eat anything but one food for a while. Then they simply work out that they are hungry and away they go.

If he was mine, I would only feed him twice a day. I have rarely had a pup that will eat 4 hearty meals. 3 at the most here, but 2 at that age is most usual.

If he wants to eat the wings feed him a couple then walk away, offer him a couple more at the next feed. But offer nothing else.

Nutrigel is an excellent supplement, and it does help with appetite.

A wing only diet for a short time will not kill him if you are feeding nice meaty wings.

The bone, meat balance should not constipate him if they are meaty.

JMO

I don't think that Nutrigel is the way to go in this case...yes if he really does drop weight that would be something I would consider, but at the moment he is still very lively, not dropping weight, still very healthy, just very fussy and I don't want to make him even more fussy. The vet also agrees with ellz (as ellz took me and Daegon to the vets about this) that the Nutrigel is likely to make him more fussy and they wouldn't suggest it.

I do however like the idea of feeding him what he will eat right now and cutting his meals back to two. I also agree Anne that he needs to look forward to his meals and perhaps if I feed him the chicken wings just for a little while he will look forward to eating and then I can start adding other things.

I hope he snaps out of it soon as well Dru!

Guest Pandii

Hi Shek I think what Anne said is good too

Feed him what he wants for a while and when he gets used to eating regualy slowly add small amounts of other things,

Just as we dont eat a balanced diet every meal, it wont hurt him to not eat a balanced diet for a little while

It more important that he eats at all, than what he eats at the moment

I remember when I got my kitten I was so worried about what to feed it until someone said as long as it gets feed is better than not feeding it at all.

Which is true, in a way :kissbetter:

How many chicken wings is he eating?

Pups that eat raw meaty bones only need to be fed twice per day and its normal for him to take a break from food for a day or two if he's had a big meat meal.

He must be getting enough to eat or he would be too thin and the vet would have seen this.

Until he comes around and has a go at eating other things you can stop a lot of what you're worrying abot by putting some apple cidar vinegar in his drinking water and giving him a childrens mulit vitamin and mineral each day. There's enough amino acids and minerals in th echicken wings to do all that need s to be done if you add these two things.

If adding chicken mince to the kibble hasnt encouraged him to eat Im pretty sure he just simply not hungry.

Many people expect that their pups will eat more than they actually do and when we send a new pup home one of the most common questions is about a concern that they arent eating enough.

You can also swap the wings for some carcasses [cheaper]

Unsure what your set up is like but sometimes they can be having a lend of you as well. I got a call from a puppy buyer once who was feeling the same as you so she started to watch the pup and she found that he would take a wing and run off to eat it and come back to say he wanted more so she would give it to him .

One morning she caught him after spying on him and he was hiding the wings and not going anywhere near them until he thought she wasnt watching. Then sat around all day eating .

So how much is he getting? And are you feeding the kibble in a bowl or off the ground ? How long do you leave the food down before you take it away?

He will eat 3 or 4 chicken wings in one meal (he's definately eating these as well). I've got ACV in their drinking water now and I'll get some vitamins to give to him as well. I have been feeding him the kibble/sardines/tuna/yoghurt etc in a bowl and I will leave the food there for around 10-15 minutes, he'll see me put it down, sniff at it then walk off to do something else.

O.K. Then there's nothing to worry about here .

Now before I go on it does kind of stick to my keyboard a bit to try to help you feed your dog kibble as I think its proably the worst thing anyone can do to a pup but I respect the fact that its your choice.

Firstly offer him what ever food you want him to eat in very small portions ON THE GROUND WITH NO BOWL or on a flat tray and walk away as if not to watch him. If he doesnt eat iwithin about 15 mins pick it up and then offer him chicken .[ one at a time ] If he'll eat chicken mince the mixing a bit more of another food each day will work as well but if he wont go for the mince you'll just have to wait him out.

As long as you can feel his ribs and not see them there's nothing to worry about as long as he's eating the chicken, ACV and vitamin mineral .

Well I would say that puppy sure has you worked out :crazy: When my old dear departed Vizsla Abby entered our lives she would eat nothing she was bubbly and shiny too and ate nothing but barbecue chicken, the vet put her on nutrigel for vitamins and I used to buy red rooster bbq chooks, worst thing I ever done up until she died at 13.5 she ate nothing but chicken.

Oliver tried the same and I just leave him, he eats his tea about 3am usually so I just leave it for him, if I feed chicken wings he absolutely gobbles them up.