Barf

Alibear

Hi everyone,

I have done lots of searches on DOL for info on BARF and have found quite a bit, but I haven't found exactly what I am after.

I don't expect anyone to retype everything, but you can send me towards to links etc that would be greatly appreciated.

I feed Bear Hills Science Diet and am thinking of switching to BARF but I don't completely understand what it is or what needs to be done :rolleyes:

I understand I have to make up food with bones, meat and veggies, but I have some question.

1. How do I know how much of everything and what to put in?

2. Do you have to mince it all up in a juicer? Some info I have seen says you make patties, others say it is to runny?

3. You have to add vitamins etc?

4. Does anyone have an idea on what it would possibly cost to feed 1 GSD?

5. I don't mind spending time to make his food if it is the best thing for him, but can anyone tell me approx. how long it all takes?

I am happy to buy books to get all this info if needed, just not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

ML so that is a USA site, is there anywhere you can actually buy it? sorry to highjack the thread....

:rolleyes:

There are two places i know of northside Brissie that sell the patties they cost around $14.95 i *think* .

One place at Paddington and one place at Keperra.

Oh my god - this sounds way to complicated! Everything seems so difficult at the moment! Meat, bones, chicken, fish, eggs - Jeebers, I bet I stuff it all up and make my baby boy sick knowing my luck! :rolleyes:

myszka, thank you very much for the offer. Much appreciated. :) That is very nice of you. I am at work at the moment but will try give you a call a bit later if I can get away from all the eager ears listening, if not will try and call another time.

Some experienced BARFers might disagree with me... :) but I reckon there's nothing wrong with starting off by feeding a semi-BARF diet.

My boy has BARF breakfasts and kibble dinners. Best of both worlds for us - healthy and convenient.

Perhaps you could try that, if the whole BARF thing seems too overwhelming? :rolleyes:

Oh my god - this sounds way to complicated! Everything seems so difficult at the moment! Meat, bones, chicken, fish, eggs - Jeebers, I bet I stuff it all up and make my baby boy sick knowing my luck! :rolleyes:

Trust me, its REALLY easy.

OK its a bit more difficult than pouring kibble into the bowl, but not that much.

And Bear will not be sick. He might not like some things in the beginning.

I will pm you my work number, you can call me during the day anytime.

As to going half BARF half non BARF - yeah, pure BARFers will not agree....

My boy occasionally gets some dried food. I mean occasionally. Just as often as I eat McDonalds.... and that is not often and in desperation.

I actually contacted Big Dog Pet Foods last week and they said that they will not have any distributors in Sydney for 6 - 8 weeks.

I make my own at the moment but I am seriously thinking of getiing some Big Dog when I can in Sydney.

I would go through over one bag BARF patties per day so it works out expensive at $15 per bag.

Edited by norskgra

If you are going to warm the mince to tempt your dog...just be careful if you have crushed bone in the mix...As you just don't want to cook/heat the bone enough to cause an issue.

I'd be tempted to swoosh some vegemite in some warm water and pour that over the mix...see if that gets the dogs senses going :)