Natural Breath Fresheners

Our Rescue Rough Collie, Bundy( aged 9yrs), has bad breath as he likes to "house clean" after having a pee. We know his teeth are not the cause as they were thoroughly cleaned by our Vet when he went in for his desexing(4 weeks ago).

He has chicken necks every day and two or three times a week he has lamb shanks or brisket bones.

I do not want to use Greenies as I have aleady had a dog have an allergic reaction to them

Any ideas welcome please

Edited by InspectorRex

Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most versatile products you can imagine. It is great as in internal "toner", helps neutralise bodily fluids such as saliva and tear stains. Great for cleaning with. Helps to prevent the round burn spots that bitches can cause on grass. Helps kitty trays to not be as "whiffy". Helps the boys to not stink as much when they lift their legs. Helps boy kitties to prevent the urine crystals that can form in their kidneys etc. Can be mixed with water for a very efficient ear cleaner.....And the list goes on......

I put it in the drinking water. Depends upon the size of your water bowls/buckets.

To a "normal" household sized bucket (can never remember how many litres they are) I would normally add about a cupful of vinegar. To a smaller one, proportionately less.

But start gradually and work up a bit at a time to full strength or you'll have them looking at you with "that" look and threatening to dehydrate!

Our boy(Bundy) and our 10mth old Rough Collie puppy(show dog) drink from the same water bowl we have inside( holds probably 1 litre).Bundy hasn't learnt yet to drink from the bucket outside( remember he was a Rescue that had been very badly neglected)

How much apple cider vinegar would I put in the "communal" bowl and will it have any bad affects on my Show girl?

Why would it have any bad effects on your show girl?

I ONLY have communal buckets. All animals drink it, cats and dogs, pets and show animals. My horses get it on their feed as well.

My other posts say how much I use, you can adjust it to suit yourself, your dogs and your circumstances.

I use it on my cats, one of whom is a Devon Rex and they get REALLY grungy ears (because they're so darned big they tend to catch any dirt or dust that is flying around).

The difference between the cats and the dogs is that instead of putting it into the cat ear and swishing it around, I soak a cloth (Chux wipes are excellent) in the solution and give the ears a good wipe out.