Shortness Of Breath

wagsalot

Riley (kelpie x 4 yrs) seems to be getting short of breath for no reason.

For example, just before he was asleep in his bed, then he got up to come sit with me and he was breathing quickly like he'd just been on a big walk.

He doesnt doing that often, Ive noticed it a few times over the last 6 months.

Im a little worried now as it doesnt seem normal.

Anyone got any ideas??

Im going to book him in for a check up at the vets soon for his eyes, so i will mention it then, but didnt know if i should book this appointment sooner than later?

Btw - it doesnt affect him at all - we did a 1 1/2 walk on saturday and he is fine with that so he doesnt get puffed easily, and he is a healthy weight. oh, and it was about 10 mins ago he did the quick breathing thing, and now he's fine and is back asleep. So it only lasts about 5 minutes.

Edited by wagsalot

Panting may indicate stress too... note when & where he does it,or..maybe he's having nightmares? It happens!

it seems to happen when he's doing nothing, like when he gets up after being asleep.

Thats the only time ive ever noticed it. - oh and he does like to sleep close to the heater sometimes..

Took Riley to the vets yesterday about his quick breathing and the vet reckons its anxiety. He mentioned a few things and some examples of anxiety and the things he mentioned i could relate to things riley does.

Apparantly when he wakes up he stresses out for a bit as he worries we arent going to be there, but then once he realises we are he settles down and the breathing goes back to normal.

The vet checked his heart and everything and said he's really healthy so im happy about that, and the anxiety we can deal with. :D

Do you know for certain that this is all he does? Have you videoed him to see what he does when you are out?

If he does not have separation anxiety I would question why he would wake up and panic about you not being there... a panic attack of that nature, to me, would be a sign of severe distress and that should have manifested in other noticeable way I would have thought...

Having said that though there is always one that doesn't fit the rules (I know I own a couple of these types of dogs :thumbsup: ) and maybe that is how he expresses his SA... but it would be very unusual...

Dan

The only way i know he sleeps is from what the neighbour told me - her kitchen window looks over into our yard.

She said he occassionaly gets up to bark at a bird or a cat but other than that she reckons he sleeps in the sun nearly the whole day. (one of our neighbours complained that our dog barked alot a while ago - which apparantly he did for 1 day only as a cat was on our lawn - so the lady accross the road watches and shoos the cat off when she sees it wanders onto our lawn).

he doesnt dig or cause any damage - and walks outside happiley when i leave for work.

Really??

I told the vet he doesnt mind being by himself and that didnt change his answer.

He said to keep an eye on him in thunder storms as that might bother him now, also loud noises.

Oh, also he said riley hating one of his feet being touched had something to do with it. Everytime someone touches his back paw he goes bonkers. This has gradually got worse. Also he said about him being "A very alert dog".

He's an excellent vet - Im really happy with him - maybe ive interpreted it the wrong way? He definately said anxiety though - maybe its a small form of anxiety?

Sorry about the bits and pieces - my memory isnt the best! :thumbsup:

Certainly seems strange but I'm going with the too hot theory at this stage.

It does seem coincidental that it only happens just as he's waking up. ie. too hot, gotta move, betta wake up, pant for a while, find a new cosy spot.

If he's healthy, if he (honestly) is not anxious about anything then I'd say he's too hot.

Only reason I say this is because that's exactly what Tashi does. Once she's moved on, she goes back to sleep and is perfectly normal and healthy and doesn't pant anymore. And it happens more frequently when she's allowed to sleep on the bed with us. I've never known it to happen if she's in her crate or downstairs where she chooses to sleep on warm nights.

Really??

I told the vet he doesnt mind being by himself and that didnt change his answer.

He said to keep an eye on him in thunder storms as that might bother him now, also loud noises.

Oh, also he said riley hating one of his feet being touched had something to do with it. Everytime someone touches his back paw he goes bonkers. This has gradually got worse. Also he said about him being "A very alert dog".

He's an excellent vet - Im really happy with him - maybe ive interpreted it the wrong way? He definately said anxiety though - maybe its a small form of anxiety?

Sorry about the bits and pieces - my memory isnt the best! :confused:

Well unless he thinks something has happened to set this off??

Dogs don't normally just whig out and get panicked! :confused:

Maybe clarify with the vet and get the opinion of a behaviourist just to see... Vets don't necessarily know a huge amount about behaviour issues...

Let us know what happens...

Dan