Trial-itis!

Sparty

All our training is away from class - why i was suprised he handled the class so well. He has not been to a class since april/may i dont think. I took him for the stays - unfortunate i chose the wrong two dogs to put him between, i knew both were regular attendees so thought they would be reliable.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought everyone. I do not know if you have already got it covered.

Dogs localise well. What I mean even from baby pups they have a favourite comfortable spot.

In training we tend to visit the same areas or say two or three, the obedience club, our own grounds, and maybe a local park or two (and practice).

Possibly you are localising your training to not enough new grounds with further distractions etc and the dogs are all out of their comfort zone at tests.

Often as a result of only training and then testing to a few known areas you are not stretching the dogs adequately.

I just mention this in passing as the rule of thumb in retrieving training/self testing is to test what we have taught in at least 6 different areas.

Often by repeating a failed exercise in the same area, we as handlers feel better but the dogs have not really learnt anything. We try to set up the failed concept, in another paddock, simplify the concept - say a double or triple blah blah blah) and repeat.

Edited by Lablover

A lot of the issues that show up in the ring go back to poor foundation work your dog is going along so nicely that you move forward to quickly before cementing one level and then though it doesnt show up for ages eventually the exercise shows a flaw. The handler thinks but he knows this and resorts to correction whereas in fact the dog only knew part of it and when under presssure the flaw showed up

Going on what lablover is saying when you have taught something to your dog and he is doing it well at home then take him out and build him to doind it in all sortd of enviroments before moving onto the next level . its much easier to get a sit stay of thrity seconds at home then go out and start at say ten seconds and rebuild it till its back to thirty in heaps of varying levels of distraction than waiting till the dog is doing a full three minute out of sight stay. The handler also doesnt feel they have to go back so far in their training for each new environment

Taking time to build really solid foundations can realy pay of in the long runworking on each part of each exercise under varying levels of distraction will ensure that your dog does really know it..

A couple of experiments i like to try on poeple is leave your dog for a recall and walk away but dont about turn call him with your back to him same hand signal what happens does he find front or did you get a nose up the butt

Leave a dog as though you are going to do a recall and set his dumbell down halfway between you and ask hi to fetch does he fetch or do something else

Leave your dog on a wait and take a couple of steps forward then tur right and take a step now ask your dog to heel without a hand signal can he find heel

yb

Edited by yogibear

Aaaaargh...i think it is me with trialitis not the dog, i forgot to send an entry for the werribee double trial, and it closes this sunday, so even if i post today it will not get there :p

poor boy will go straight into Novice at the weim national without an encouragement trial beforehand.....i see red faces :laugh: :p :p

Usually as long as it is post dated before the cut off day they will accept it (lol aways willing to take our money at trials hehehe

i will see u there!!! look for a blue border collie sleeping thru the recall and it will be us!!!!!

post-9-1128679275.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

lol today was just not meant to be, i shoud have been herding!!!!

car tyre blew out and i do mean totally shredded at 10km as i was assing someone, had to change tyre on my own (drivers front on the freeway!!!) had to drag an upset sparty out of the back of the wagon so i could get to the spare, he ended up stressed and panting um i was not the picture of patience :rofl: got to the trial and it was muggy and hot and guess what?? we were first up!! he was doing so-so but then decided that return meant to my right side :thumbsup: if not for that he would have been only 4-5 points short of a pass in the morning as well

LOL i think the judge was considering pinging me an extra 10 points for the extreme length of the pee LOL over 1 minute constant stream they were going to send for a cuppa!!

LOL i should just have gone herding LOL and probably gotten trampled by the sheep :thumbsup:

What a disappointment, not to worry - plenty more trials coming up. You should have just cancelled this week and stayed in bed. No herding Sat morning either, so either way you couldn't win. :thumbsup: There's always another week.... :thumbsup:

well providing it isnt bucketing down, im going to tulla after club tomorrow leave 11.30 ETA about 1pm... interested?????? u could show me the way :thumbsup:

got a email from david saying it was ok, LOL havent checked emails today tho

DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH!

well next time im taking a wadingpool/clamshell with water in it so he can cool down, LOL he is a bugger nit if it is to cold and not if it is too hot, has to be jusssttttt right LOL

We had a better day than Sparty.

Our first trial for me and dog, started predictably enough with a very hyper excited dog (i think he thought he was there for tracking when we first arrived), he spotted a sable rough collie when we first arrived and was fixated by it, wnating to play, and then we found we were drawn next to it :thumbsup: . So the morning trial was lots of me trying to hold on and the dog noticing anything bu the collie. We withdrew from the stays because he was just wanting to play with the collie sat next to him.

By the afternoon he was a lot calmer and so was i. We got a pass and first place despite being next to the collie again :thumbsup:

Would also add the jusdge was great - he was freindly, talked heaps, lots of advice before during and after the trial.

Edited by dogdayz