Clipping A Collie

collie angel

Hi,

ok to all your collie people out there what are your thoughts on clipping a collie my mum and dad have a 12 yr old collie brandy she is a nightmare for them to brush (she was my family dog when i was living at home and i brushed her etc etc and my father wouldnt part with her when i was moving out and also i thought it was better for her to stay there as it was the only home she has known her whole life)

She will let you brush the top of her her bellie but she doesn't like it but as soon as you get to the back end its all over so now it is a big mess.She goes and gets washed and groomed every 2 months but they wont tough her there as she would probably nip them, My parents where thinking of getting her shaved getting closer to summer not to nothing just short/med she has a skin condition like hot spots and and last summer the vet shaved a patch on her side and it grew back good.

part of me said yeah do it so then i can start over again and be the one to brush her (i have none of these problems with my girl she loves the brush :) ) then the other side is oh thats one of the things i love out this dog she has a nice thick coat i just want them to do what is best for brandy and i wanted to know if anyone who has a collie has done this, she is old and feels the heat in summer even though she is inside in the air con i think she would be alot cooler?

nichola

Hi,

fellow collie lover and tonk owner. I breed collie roughs and also have a lilac mink alter male tonk. WNCA Grand Ch Tonkfuru Uchi who is a very fat cat now.LOL

In regards to clipping Brandy, I find it hard to understand that a grooming salon, wouldn't have the necessary things to prevent a dog (any dog who has had enough ) from nipping.

I wouldn't recommend having her clipped, I take it that she is desexed, that changes a roughs coat to start with IMHO. :)

By having her clipped, her coat will grow back thicker, and probably harder to keep up with, since that seems to be the complaint. It won't make her cooler, a well groomed coat, breathes and acts as a insulation. So unless she is matted to the skin, I wouldn't have her clipped, and I would run as fast as I can if a grooming salon recommends it.

THANKS tonk hey milo (choc seal point) is my first every i was tring to find a burmese but fell in love with him, he is nearly 2 i brought him from a breeder (bajimbi cattery) and boy what a hand full he is compaired to my QUITE burmese :) but saying that he is a laugh, i think milo is too skinny though, my burmese simba is a lilac :rofl:

i dont think she is too bad in the coat side of things it just around the back end, my mum uses front line on her and all the dogs monthly already brandy loves rubbing up against our trees out the back to get scratches she has dry skin we have cream we rub into it and have changed her diet due to this mum was giving her tinned food YUCK (even though i have had collies all my life just learning now with bella with the help of her breeder about the dos and donts if u know what i mean) the dog groomer is suppose to be a really good one that alot of people have beed there and said is good we have been going there for a bout a year they have no problem with bella how ever and even brandy is good for them until they tough her back end we got her checked by a vet thinking there was a sore or she had hurt herself nothing he said she is just sentitive around there.

i told mum to clip the rump/bum area were its notty and she wont let you touch and leave the rest but i dont know what she will do i can only tell her.

thanks again nichola

We had a rough collie and when we moved from Sydney to the NSW north coast i decided to clip her. I would clip her two to three times a year I didn't find it harmed her coat in any way but she was not a show dog so it didn't matter. Gemma would stand there and seemed to enjoy being clipped. She would run around with the zoomies at the end.

Our collie was also very hard to groom her back end and the hair is so thick there.

Grooming every where else was fine.

Edited by packsapunch

Hi Nicky, have you tried waiting till Brandy is lying down on the ground and then gently brushing very slowly over her rump? Older dogs find it harder to stand on a grooming table etc.

I used to lay my old Brodie on the ground and just take my time brushing him all over. he used to get so relaxed he would nod off to sleep.he even used to let me clip his toenails but if I put him on a grooming table it was "no way Jose".

A Collie's coat insulates them from the weather as Belinda has stated here. to clip a Collie would be only done in extreme cirs's IMHO( eg terribly matted and neglected coat)

HI Collie Angel,

To be honest I don't see a problem with clipping her off. When you take into consideration her advanced years and the fact that she dislikes being brushed is it really worth the stress on her to groom her. I would clip her, I have seen it done on a number of occasions (on pets that have been brought in with completely dishevelled coat) and the coat is no different once it grows back properly but does seem thick etc untill that time.

As Belinda said, fleas can be a cause of hotspots but so can numerous other things, grass allergy or allergys to almost anything else for that matter can cause a hot spot.

At 12 years old you would have to be extremely patient and persistent to teach this girl to lie still while being groomed but you will more then likely find that she will never enjoy the task.

Make sure that if you do get her clipped that you stay on top of the brushing as her coat grows back, I would also recommend that you wait to clip her off until she is loosing her coat as it will make stripping her out a hell of a lot easier.

JMHO

Jenny

Oh I have been involved in Rough Collies all my life, I just don't own 1 currently.

thanks colleen,

i sit on the ground with her and brush her i always have just learning the table way now with bella any suggustion on brush style we have a rake looking one with edges which cutes through matts etc and the normal comb and brush i think she looks quite bad at the back but thats just me dont get me wrong my parents look after her and they do brush her but cause she gets like a sooky look or looks depressed they feel sorry for her they her top coat looks great her main etc just her rump area.

oh i have now learnt how to posts photo's so i put one on the photo page of bella as i coulnt send it to you through the email as it was too big so take a look :)

nicky

Hi Nicky

For the dogs comfort I would clip her rear end and under her belly and depending on coat probably her front leg feathers. But as Belinda says I can't understand any professional groomer or good amateur not having the equipment to protect themselves from a nip!

I do this to our old boy it just keeps him cleaner and more comfortable.

Cheers Kate

I agree with Jencol and Carluke; any groomer worth their salts should be able to prevent a dog nipping them but still be able to groom the dog.

You need to find the cause of the hotspots also; if Brandy has them in the area she does not like being brushed then a cycle had started

I agree with Jencol and Carluke; any groomer worth their salts should be able to prevent a dog nipping them but still be able to groom the dog.

You need to find the cause of the hotspots also; if Brandy has them in the area she does not like being brushed then a cycle had started

the groomer has been around along time, we have been to her 5 times now she said that brandy didnt like it around her rump area that she nearly nipped her i think she should get the under boday done and the back, she does have skin allergys and thats what caused the hot spot she has only had one but she gets like itchy skin and loves you to scratch her thats when the vet told us to get her bath every 2-3 months so we dont take out the good oils??as we use to get it done monthly as i thought i wouldnt like my hair not washed yuck!!! i will be the one groomer her from now on i have told my parents that they can give her a brush but i will come over a do it properly, thankfully bella has a nice coat and i dont have this problem.

nicky

With her age I would get the area she doesn't like groomed cut right back. Why have her get stressed over it being brushed?

Speaking as a groomer I wouldn't want a dog to leave my salon with a matted rear end, so a dog nips! There are different ways to work around that. Maybe this is one area your groomer is not so confident in?

thanks i think thats what we will do i dont want to upset her more than we have to i have seen pictures of a collie all shaven and they shaved his tail and i do not want this happening to brandy and i know my mum wont do it but my sister has had her maltese clipped too short (by a groomer) it was funny for us cause it was just before we were taking our dogs to get there santa photo's done and my sister wanted zac to look his best LOL so told them not too short and just trim his face and back end area but when her husband went to pick him up hes was shaven all over his face so short but zac felt great as it was comming into summer,my sister cried so much it was funny seeing a hairless puppy in his santa outfit needless to say she never went back.

My Mum will stay while brandy gets done i have told her not too short and just under her belly and back end and normal feet area i will post a photo of her when its done.

thanks again everyone like i said even though i have had collies since the day i was born (i'm 26) i'm just learning things now.

nicky :scared:

Being an elderly dog is it possible that the dog stresses and carries on when being groomed, this may be a reason the Groomer is not happy to force the issue and persevere with the dog.

Also if an elderly dog does act up like this muzzling it could be a problem.

Last thing you want is a distressed old dog.

just a thought.

yeah she probably is my mum has started staying there with her while she gets a bath etc brandy has never since we have owned her (11yrs) really enjoyed her back end being brushed but we have noticed that now she is getting older she hates it so its becoming harder (we had her legs etc and that checked by the vet she is ok) So thought the brush we are using is hurting , what brushes should i use on her??

i have a rake, a square brush corse like, a normal brush and a rake that cutes through mates are these wrong?

nichola

Why don't you try it with a slicker brush? They still get a lot of hair out and don't pull as much as the pin brushes. I use the slicker on both of their behinds.

Nat

Why don't you try it with a slicker brush? They still get a lot of hair out and don't pull as much as the pin brushes. I use the slicker on both of their behinds.

Nat

i went and asked for a slicker brush and when the lady showed me what it was i have already got one of those brushed that i use on bella, and have tried it on brandy the lady saiod i might be pushing too hard and could be hurting but bella is fine with it when i use it on her she enjoys it really.