Does Your Dog Stink?

I did use Advance for my first dog after I gave up on Supercoat, it's not bad but can be hard to come by around here so I'll have to see if any of the pet shops have it. Probably no chance of finding the first option though. What are the important characteristics of a food that set a puppy food apart from an adult food? Are they higher in protien, fat, etc?

I have a pack of puppy supercoat here and it has ingredients as meat and meat by products from chicken and beef. No mention of soy bean here for protien, but it has sorgum as a cereal ...Not sure if that is soy based tho ?

Im on a strict budget atm, so instead of spending a lot more on the premium brands I usually get, I decided to get Supercoat for both the dogs and the cats.

I am stunned at how much they all love the stuff !

Even my finicky boy loves it and he is impossible to please at most times !

I have to say I like the way they clearly mark the protien level on the front of the pack so it is easy to pick what you want,

... plus it has omega 3 & 6 !

Mine have barf too but now that you mention it I HAVE noticed a bit of bad breath on my poodle lately so now I suspect it probably is related to having the supercoat as I have never noticed it on her before !

.. shame tho ;) otherwise it seems good to me for the money.:laugh:

My dogs all get Supercoat with no smells! Mind you, the rest of their diet is all raw food...

I understand the main difference between Puppy formulas and Adult food is the fat content which is much higher in Puppy food.

Milo, have a lookie at your Poodles' teeth. Might be just bad breath from new food but more likely just a plaque problem that's built up over time co-incidently ;) :laugh:

I'm with Rugerfly. Some dogs just can't handle cereal bases.

Milo, have a lookie at your Poodles' teeth. Might be just bad breath from new food but more likely just a plaque problem that's built up over time co-incidently :eek::eek:

Thanks for the tip t-time.

This only started up recently.

I am lucky with this poodle as I know that they can suffer with teeh problems (according to the vets Ive meet) Ive been to a few vets with her, she is only three but they are always amazed how great her teeth are!

I guess this is because she has been raised on raw meaty bones, hope it doesnt go backwards with the kibble tho. :confused:

Some of ours are on Supercoat Working dog at the moment as a change although it smells like plasticine the dogs are fine.

Our puppies are on Supercoat Puppy and no problems there either (they are 14 weeks old) though they smell like wet dogs at the moment

Cheers Kate

Hi,

My 10wk old goldie is on Supercoat Puppy, was what she was on with breeder so just stuck with it (following her diet guide strictly)

I haven't had a dog for about 14 yrs so thought I'd just forgotten what it was like .... but yeah her f@rt$ stink big time! Blamed the flatmate a couple of times - he wasn't impressed lol Lots of poo - but thought I'd just forgotten what it was like too.

But she loves the stuff! And luckily spends most of her time sleeping just outside the door so is only if the breeze blows it back inside LOL

Nikki.

Farts are supposed to stink, it's for benefit of the people who don't hear them.

I've used supercoat for years without any probs.

I mix kangaroo mince with it most days & vary sardines, eggs, cheese etc regularly. A splosh of olive oil occasionly doesn't go astray either.

Dry food can cause constipation, so if you are getting daily "results" you don't have a lot to worry about.

We have been talking about feeding and dry food on another thread and I also feed supercoat puppy dry food, and Minx was farting alot ;) then I read on the BARF site not to mix dry food, but to feed it seperatly, so I stop puttting the supercoat in her meals yesterday and touch wood...... she hasn't fluffed yesterday or today ;) so I wont be buying any more, I'm going to look at the eagle pack

dachsund lover I am not feeding barf. Sascha is getting supercoat puppy but I was contemplating changing her onto Coprice Working dog and adding some other stuff to it to make it more like the puppy food as Coprice does not make a puppy formulation. I have tried this for the last couple of days and she seems all round much healthier and much less stinky.

I have fed Supercoat in the past and yes some of mine did have a smell.

I think it is horrible food, it went in and straight out again, had mountains of sloppy poop and the dogs never did well on it.

I am a lover of Eagle pack but they also get meat, eggs, yoghurt, sardines/mackerel etc......

As for feeding puppies adult food, I do that all the time, I hardly ever raise a litter or a puppy on puppy food, and when I have done so it is only for the first 4-8 weeks if that, and have never had any problems what so ever.

The only thing you may find is it slows their growth down.