Chicken Necks

rdr71

hi there

I just gave our new 9 wk old goldie pup 2 chicken necks this morning for the first time. Here I was thinking it would take her 10 minutes to get through them...but she gobbled them up in 2 seconds flat.

I then gave her breakfast. Is that too much? can chicken necks replace a meal or are they just for a snack? since she loved them so much can i giv them to her on most days ?

thanks

RUth

I think you can expect 2 chicken necks to go in a flash, if it's only 2, I think that's fine as a snack as long as it's only once a day or a couple of times a week. You can feed chicken necks as a meal if you like or just pop them in with their meal.

Axle, our GSD gets 2 chicken necks and a cup of pellets. Summer, our English Springer gets 1 chicken neck and half a cup of pellets.

I'm not sure whether i'd give two or one to your girl. Maybe two, see how she goes on them? If she starts putting on weight too quickly, then cut it back to one? You never know until you try i guess.. ;)

Oh Jenny I know...I have been slack havent i? if you know the absolute chaos that is in my house these days...you would forgive me! ;) I am halfway there though...i have now GOT photos of Sasha on my laptop so all i have to do is find the time to post them!!!!

hopefully tomorrow.

Ruth

Much better to feed them as a meal rather than crappy commercial pet food IMO.

See how she goes, you may find you need to switch to wings or frames soon, as even pups tend to swallow a neck whole. The frames and wings take a bit more munching :laugh:

BE VERY CAREFUL with puppies who gobble their raw bones.

We almost lost Henry when he gobbled half a chicken wing. It got stuck in his throat, he stopped breathing and lost consciousness.

I had to stick my finger down his throat to dislodge it then rush him to the vet.

He spent a few days at the vet because they were worried he has punctured his oesophogus. Eventually he passed it through and was ok in the end. Had to be on a soft food diet for a fortnight.

Now I use a hammer and bash the bones first. He still gobbles but he can't choke now.

thanks for the responses. Sasha certainly crunches on them, i can her her chomping on the bones so she doesnt swallow them whole, it just only takes her maybe 10 seconds and its gone.

Now that I have seen how Sasha demolishes them, it mademe chuckle to think that Roxiekda's pom's take all night to eat just one!!!! :(

eta: Greentea that must have been pretty scary for you AND Henry...certainly a heads up for those dogs that go the gobble without the crunch. I would freak out if that happened to us. Thanks for sharing that.

Ruth

Edited by rdr71

Hi Ruth,

My 10 wk goldie gets 3-4 chicken necks (or 2 wings) for her lunch meal - as per diet guide from breeder. She too woofs them down real fast. Is her favourite meal. Is the meal I'm having a hard time getting her to sit still for before eating, all other meals she sits and waits til I tell her "okay".

Nikki.

also...

Lamb flaps

Turkey Necks

Rabbit

Kangaroo Tails (may not be able to eat the bone all up when young, but they will have fun eating the meat and some of the bone!)

Duck Carcass

Whole Ox(beef)tail (not cut up into little pieces).

Naturally what you give will depend on the size of the pup. I dont even bother with chicken wings or necks for a Pyrenean pup as they are too small for them to get any value from chewing. Larger chunks/bones may be a bit big for small toy breed pups (though I had a great time watching my tiny 10 week old kitten steal a huge roo tail from one of my dogs and guard it from all comers as she munched away on it like a tiny lion :rofl: )