Which Vegies?

boxagirl

Which vegies are the best to add to Bondi's diet (BARF) ?

I have been using pumkin, carrot, broccoli and occasionally potato (just leftovers)

Which veges should I use for an active adult Boxer? And is there any food I can add to make her coat darker?

Hm

I grate then chop and flatten Zucchini and the stalks of broccoli ,sometimes caulifower,too, with bits of pumpkin and even celery and juices dregs etc, no waste--from the processor added in to the carrot etc.

Mine always digest their raw vegies,they are so used to them :(:clap:

Edited by V.A.H.

I feed mainly green leafy vegetables and orange vegetables such as carrots or pumpkin. I have heard that kelp can intensify colour although I'm not sure if it actually darkens it. I have never used it personally so this is just hearsay :(

I dont know anything about making coats darker but you can really use just about any pulped vegetables in a BARF mix (except onions). No wastage in our house anymore! Obviously the outer dark green leaves are best on green vegies and all the brightly coloured ones!! Basically the same as for us!

Boxagirl, how is Barf going in your household?

The way I see it, there are Barf feeders who don't use any veggies so whatever you use should do fine. Perhaps try and rotate them so they're not getting too much of one thing!

I look for what's in season (and hence cheaper!). Basically leafy greens, some grated carrot (or frozen julienne carrots), frozen peas, sometimes pumpkin. I also throw in some crushed garlic, maybe an egg, some yoghurt or some sunflower oil. If anything else grabs my fancy at the shops, I put that in too.

Question white shepard...do u premake these or do u make there dinner up every morning or night when u feed them?

Chicko, although I've answered your question via PM, I thought I would copy it here so your question doesn't hang in the air!

I make their food once a week and pack it into 1L takeaway containers - I use up one a night and store them in the fridge. When I feed them, I pour a little hot water just to take the chill off.

Edited by White Shepherd mom

It is going great WS :D

I premake mine, put it in a big container and it will last about 2 weeks.

I rotate veges everytime I make it :D

This week I used: mince, a tiny bit of oats (dont like putting these in but I evolved her barf diet from Satin balls which fattened her up :rofl: ), eggs, mollasses, cottage cheese,beans, carrot, broccoli, capsicum (lol i think thats what its called) , gelatine.

And every couple of nights she will just get chicken necks from dinner.

Mine gets oats & barley - does that make her neutral?

Seriously - my barf mix veges usually include carrots, apples, pumpkin and sweet potato( those two cooked with the barley'cause the juicer is useless) parsley, a couple of zucchini, celery - also other odds and ends including eggs, oils, sardines etc

Do not use brassicas - cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower etc.

About 200g each morning + toast with butter and vegemite (spoilt) and raw meaty bones at night, sometimes with a whole carrot for dessert!

cheers

• 11 months later...

My 6 month Rotty pup gets cooked mashed vegies but she is occasionally vomiting on them, as soon as I stop vegies her tummy seems to clear up. Vegies are generally mashed pumpkin, carrot, cauliflower etc. Is it ok to feed cauliflower, I am wondering if it is this or perhaps the mashed vegies sitting in the fridge for 3 days?

Any ideas?

Cheers

I base ours on green leafy veg - spinach, silverbeet etc.

Then add alternatives that I change every so often; broccoli, parsley, celery, carrot, red/green/yellow capsicum, cabbage, cauliflower, pumpkin, cucumber, bean sprouts etc.

Too much of the crucifer (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc) family can depress the thyroid if fed constantly and also cause gas.

I also keep starchy (pumpkin) and sugary (carrot) vegetables to a low level

Darcy's last batch had: carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini, bok choy, celery, apples, turnip, and swede. I think that was all.

I make up about a months worth in one afternoon and freeze it all in takeaway containers.

I was about to post a very similar thread!!!

This has all been VERY helpful. I'v recently started introducing more & more veggies to my 8yr old Lab x BC. He's a little overweight...mainly from having eaten poor quality food his entire life (shame on me for not knowing any better when I was 12yrs old) and so I've put my parents on strict NO FEEDING THE DOGS restraints.

I was wondering if there was a list of NO-NO's when it comes to dogs. Obviously, Onions are toxic. As is chocolate. Caffeine. I also read somewhere that Grapes can be bad too. What else should I steer clear of?

Tyson has been getting:

-2 cups Supercoat Lite & Mature for breakfast

-1.5 cups Supercoat Lite & Mature, chopped carrot, raw egg, chopped celery stick...for dinner.

(at dinner time, I also add Live Culture Yoghurt, boiled veggies, cooked chicken, cucumber, capsicum, etc depending what's available in the fridge)

So with BARF, is it still considered BARF if they are being fed a quality kibble along with the bones & veggies? I am looking at changing all my dogs over to Eaglepack. I've heard ALL great stuff about their products.

What bones are safe to give?

- chicken/turkey necks, wings

- lamb flaps

What isn't safe in regards to bones?

Is there any other veggies apart from Onions that are toxic? Any fruits? Do you feed fruits & veggies in the same meal? Should potatoes & such be peeled before being fed? How about portion sizes? If a certain food gives the dog the runs, should it be excluded or will the dog get used to it?

Clearly, the BARF diet is a very new concept to me & I really want to go about it the right way. Can it also be fed to cats?

Baboni it's not really BARF - BARF is not dependent on any commercial form of food.

With your veg puree/juice it - chopping will not allow your dog to breakdown and use the nutrients provided because dogs are inable to breakdown cellulose (cell wall) and boiling will denature proteins and will not provide the same amount of nutrients as pureed/juiced veg.

Leave the chicken/meat raw - its far better for your dog.

Bones (any non weight bearing bones) - chicken/turkey necks and wings, carcasses, pork/lamb necks, flaps, roo/ox tail, rabbit carcasses/pieces etc.

bones are to be fed raw. If you feed at weightbearing/recreational bones they should be taken away after the meat and knuckles have worn.

I feed fruit and veg in the same meal. I steer clear of potatoes.

Baboni - if your really interested I suggest you get your hands on some BARF books (Billinghurst and Lonsdale have books on the subject) they will be able to provide you with clear and correct information regarding the diet.