Chicken Pet Mince

n_topaz

Hi,

I thought I'd try a kg of chicken PET mince from my local Lenard's Chicken shop.

I didn't use it til next evening and ..... woooaaahhhh ... did it STINK! I was heaving at the smeel. Decided not to feed it to pup.

I've never had pet mince before, is this a 'normal' smell or did I get a bad batch ? I got it on my way home (less than 2 mins from store to home), chucked it straight in the fridge when I got home and didn't pull it out of fridge til next evening. So can't have been from my handling of it.

My 10wk goldie is starting to go off her beef mince (human quality) for her evening meal. Loves her chick necks (lunch) so thought I'd try chicken mince for dinner. Went for pet mince as the 'human' chick mince was $12kg from Lenard's. Love pup, but I don't spend that on me even ! lol But is no way I can feed pet chick if thats what it's like.

Who feeds chick pet mince ?

Nikki.

I regularly buy this chicken pet mince...and my dogs love it.

I buy in bulk and freeze straight away....You may have had a bad batch as usually mine are fresh when I recieve them, but once defrosted i would use within a day as the mince doesn't have a long lifespen.

I hope this answers your question

I buy lenards when on special

I freeze what I dont feed that day

I prefer the chicken carcesses

I hope you ask for a 10 kilo box rather than what they have on display

a box is only 5 bucks what they have on display is about 3 bucks for 5 frames

I occasionally feed my dog raw chicken pet mince (minced leg bones). I'm currently cooking up some chicken breast mince my mum gave me. It was what was left in the mincer itself. I could cook and eat it myself but I've got dinner planned for the next couple of nights and I know if I freeze it i will never end up using it.

A lot of people come to our shop to buy a box of carcass for $6. Their dogs love it. I've yet to give my puppy a chicken carcass to have all by himself. I've been giving him either full wings or half wings but occassionally my mum has customers who doesn't want the wing tips so I get it for my puppy and her dogs instead :thumbsup:

Have fed chicken pet mince (currently bought from a butcher for $1 a kg) to all my dogs for the past 20 years, but I've always boiled it in the microwave in water and then skimmed the solidifed fat off after its been in the fridge for 12 hours - you'd be astounded at how much fat there is unless you buy lean fillets minced....)

Tend to freeze it straight away and then defrost enough to cook - usually a kg - cook it, skim it, mix with cooked rice and feed over the next 5 - 6 days - will stay fresh for that time if you make sure that it's cooked thoroughly - the water it's cooked in becomes part of the mixture and is soaked up by the rice.

I get frozen chicken mince from the produce store - 1kg packs - use over three days, and alternate with 1kg packs roo mince - to reduce the total fat in the food!

Lamb off cuts (meaty as possible and least fat possible), occasional chicken frames and pork trotters etc as well.

cheers

Have never bought the Pet mince before, if Im feeding chicken I also prefer to give carcasses, necks or wings. I do give them human grade beef,lamb and pork mince though in the BARF mix. As for a bad batch, it may well be, it can happen in the supermarket meat aswell. A number of years ago I bought some beef mince for my cat and he turned his nose up at it. On a closer look, the mince was moving so I couldnt blame him really!! Supposedly freshly packed that day Hmmm, makes you wonder how much of it ended up on dinner tables that night! :thumbsup:

No word of a lie I have only started eating mince again myself this past year it put me off that much!

I reckon the pet chicken mince stinks anyway. I just worry too about the fat content. I thought coz it had bone in it cooking would destroy the nutrients they would get from the bone?

Good thinking about mixing it up with the roo mince. One of mine is on a special diet of roo mince- but she needs to put on weight- and it ain't happenin on that!

I have fed carcasses too- there is a risk but the bones are soft. There's a risk with human's eating food too- you could choke! I think it's a natural thing for dogs to eat stuff like that, they get enjoyment from it & it's great for their teeth. I started my dobe on carcasses when she was just a pup.. never had any problems and she is a GUTS!!

I worry about what's in the pet mince- all the fatty scraps & skin I'm sure. But like other people I hardly buy chicken mince for myself as it's so expensive. You can find a butcher that will mince up chicken pieces for you if you ask around (some wont do it) try fluttering your eyes a bit :thumbsup: then you know it's good meat and not as expensive as fillet mince- and you get the bone in it too.

knobbles - petbarn does a roo and chicken mince mix. Check the "packed on" dates cause it varies a lot but it is apparently preservative free, but lasts quite a while because vacuum packed.

AUSSKY - my pups get frames, and have since they were about 10 weeks old. I think they're actually safer than the wings and drumsticks cause they are softer, and the pups have to gnaw off bit by bit. With the smaller bones they would crunch once then swallow, and poo out huge lengths of bone a day later. :thumbsup:

n topaz - sounds like you might have got a bad batch - I've always been able to keep chicken for at least three or four days before freezing it. I also tend to still give them chicken that might be a tad ripe - they're dogs and have scavenger's intestines after all! ;)

I have started giving mince as well as the frames and wings and red meat bones etc, to even up the bone/meat ratio - Billinghurst's diet includes mince mix as well as meat on the bone. I guess it depends how meaty your bones are though - the last box of chook frames I got from the markets had heeeeeeaaaps of meat on them, so I've been giving much less of my mince / pulp mix.

I dont buy Lenards chicken mince but I do buy it from another chicken shop.....Jenny you might know the shop, its in the Casey central (coles) centre, and their chicken mince seems ok, Minx loves it mix in with her other pets mince, or sometime I give it a light fry then add it and she loves it :thumbsup:

I've always been paranoid about feeding dogs chicken carcasses...can they do any damage with sharp pieces if raw, and are all the bones in the carcase soft enough? What age should you start a dog on them?

My guys have had chicken frames since about 12 weeks old

The only mince I use in my dog's diet is blended with 50/50 with vegetables to make a BARF mix. It's beef mince.

I'll confess to finding a lot of chicken stuff on the nose if it isn't used or frozen straight away.

If your dog has no problems with chewing, he or she would benefit from getting chicken off the bone - wings and necks are good if your dog is a bit small to tackle carcasses.

Edited by poodlefan

I always buy my chicken mince from Lenards. But I only buy from one shop. The other shop doesnt do it properly. Maybe the same problem with yours, n Topaz. Try another Lenards shop. Your chicken mince should have a chickeny smell like your own fresh chicken you buy for the family.

I always buy mine by the 10kg box at $6.50 and I ring that morning and its ready for me to pick up in the afternoon. I have spoken with my manager and he has told me how they do it. Maybe a word with you manager also.

My girls get this either on its own, mixed with other meats, mixed with vegies and its supplemented with chicken necks, chicken carcasses, beef bones and fish.

Even my two Chihuahuas get chicken frames. What they dont finish my outside dogs will. :thumbsup:

I reckon the pet chicken mince stinks anyway. I just worry too about the fat content. I thought coz it had bone in it cooking would destroy the nutrients they would get from the bone?

Good thinking about mixing it up with the roo mince. One of mine is on a special diet of roo mince- but she needs to put on weight- and it ain't happenin on that!

I worry about what's in the pet mince- all the fatty scraps & skin I'm sure. But like other people I hardly buy chicken mince for myself as it's so expensive. You can find a butcher that will mince up chicken pieces for you if you ask around (some wont do it) try fluttering your eyes a bit ;) then you know it's good meat and not as expensive as fillet mince- and you get the bone in it too.

If the dog needs to put on weight the skin and fat in the Lenards pet mince will be just the thing. Chicken fat is also great for their skin and coat.

Of course you would be careful how much you fed if you had a tubby one, but for a normal active dog it is fine.

Fresh mince should not stink, ours certainly doesn't when we buy it.

But as it has no preservatives added you have to use it or freeze it.

Fed raw and fresh the Lenards mince is great, it has bone, bits of offal etc, good stuff.

I dont buy Lenards chicken mince but I do buy it from another chicken shop.....Jenny you might know the shop, its in the Casey central (coles) centre, and their chicken mince seems ok, Minx loves it mix in with her other pets mince, or sometime I give it a light fry then add it and she loves it ;)

Its called 'Wishbone' got some chicken mince tonight ;)