I Love My E-collar!

I am shaking still, but all I can say is thank god for putting in my homework with Chelsea on the e-collar today.

We were at our usual park doing training. I had put her in a sit in preparation for a long lead recall (onlead as I was adding the distraction of kids playing in the park today), but just as I was about to turn and face her to issue the command, she spotted a magpie (Number 1 item on her 'must have' list!) and took off after it.

Well... she took off with such force the collar snapped (lesson learnt on cheap collars there!) and she was headed towards a main road at a insanely face speed. In a split second I hit panic mode, but at the same time remembered to press the button for the collar.... she did a tight arc (about 3metres from the road), looked up at me ( I had my arms in the air - recall signal) and bolted straight towards me just as fast as she took off, and sat dead straight in front of me waiting for me to shut off the collar.

I might add, that she would not have heard my vocal recall if that was all I was relying on.

Good girl Chelsea - your wise choice to obey me might've saved your life.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Wow! CheleasMum! What a day! Good for you for your commitment to training. So glad you were able to prevent a tragedy for you and Chelsea. ETA: And congratulations for your split second thinking!

And your story goes to show that, training or not, these sorts of events can (and do) happen and we should always work towards prevention and control by training and by the appropriate training equipment.

:thumbsup:

PS. Were you working on chain or flat collar? If chain, I'd recommend either a German or USA brand only. If a flat collar, for the readers here, I'd recommend a good sturdy one with a buckle (not the plastic clip style so seemingly popular) and good quality attachment for the lead.

Edited by Erny

I stupidly (yes, I admit it) had her 'pretty' plastic clip buckle collar on. She wears this one around the house when I am not home as it doesn't mark her coat like the leather buckle one. Normally I swap them before I head out.

The plastic clip snapped clean in half, it didn't just undo itself... bit of a worry.

Will be putting up with marks in her fur in future, refuse to buy another one of these collars again.

PS. I trust you got home and had yourself a nice stiff drink and have since stopped shaking? Hate that "weak in the knees" feeling you get after the adrenaline rush!

Glass of red in hand as we speak.

I stupidly (yes, I admit it) had her 'pretty' plastic clip buckle collar on.

Stupidly? I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. The collar was probably purchased from a petstore in the good faith that it would safely service the use for which it was intended.

These collars are ideal for holding on the dog's tags when the dogs are at home, or safely housed in one shape or form.

The ones I get cross at are the manufacturers who don't have some label on the 'plastic clip' collars to suggest they are not suitable for training/walking. (Or at others, when I know they've been warned.) Or at petshops, for not asking customers what they intend to use them for and educating people accordingly.

Yes, they snap easily.

But even in the most basic of incidences, where you might be holding the collar for whatever reason .... just small accidental pressure on the clip can cause it to release (especially once the collar is 'worn in' .. the clip tends to give easier).

Also, I find exposure to the weather over time disintegrates the quality of the plastic, making it unsuspectingly weak.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, as they say. Enjoy your glass of red. Which reminds me, where'd I put my glass???

:thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

By the way... what is an e-collar?  :whip:  :rofl:

An electric collar. :drink: Great piece of training equipment, IMO. Pity they're use is restricted here in Victoria. If I'm not mistaken, that's another of Hugely Worthless invoked legislation. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

Not used one. This is how I understand it.

It's a remote communicative training device. A very low stimulation gets the dog attention and says, check for cue, and removing it says, yes that's it, reward coming.

And yes I've felt one now.

And no they don't hurt and they are not cruel; I could hardly detect the sensation. They should be used on the lowest possible sensation that the dog can detect.

In the wrong hands a flat collar can be cruel.

BTW I was anti them until I understood them.

Edited by sidoney

Good post, Sidoney. Nicely and simply explained.

Boxagirl ... they can be used to train/strengthen the desired behaviours and weaken/extinguish undesired behaviours, whether that be obedience related and/or behavioural related.

ETA: The setting you would have the collar on would depend on what you were using it for and what would be effective for the dog at the time.

Edited by Erny

Hi ChelseasMum

Glad your girl is ok :thumbsup:

Any training aid can be misused by d*ck heads. In the wrong hands, a flat collar and lead can be misused.

An e-collar, or a prong collar, can be marvelous in the right hands.

Chelsea has a trainer with the "right hands" :whip:

Cheers,

Peter D

I don't think Sidoney intended to suggest you were against them. I think Sidoney was merely anticipating some questions that might be forthcoming (as they commonly are).

If you want some more information on them, there's plenty here on DOL. Use the search engine under "electric collar" and/or "e-collar" (or variations) and you're sure to come up with plenty of reading to keep you busy for the next decade! :thumbsup:

Heya Boxagirl, I know you weren't against them, but I wrote that for anyone who might read the thread and misunderstand the use.

As someone who didn't understand myself, and thought that it was a higher level (I've touched way too many electric fences over the years), I had preconceptions and I understand those preconceptions, so I thought I'd put that in before it was brought up and maybe got away.

Not used one. This is how I understand it.

It's a remote communicative training device. A very low stimulation gets the dog attention and says, check for cue, and removing it says, yes that's it, reward coming.

And yes I've felt one now.

And no they don't hurt and they are not cruel; I could hardly detect the sensation. They should be used on the lowest possible sensation that the dog can detect.

In the wrong hands a flat collar can be cruel.

BTW I was anti them until I understood them.

Most folks are Sidoney. Anything people don't honestly uderstand frightens them, it's called 'Fear of the unknown'. It's like trying to lead a dog up a piece of agility equipment for the first time. It's often met with anxiety and resistance but once it has been experienced, learned and understood it doesn't seem that bad after all.

Here is a short article for a bit of an education

E Collars

Hi ChelseasMum

Glad your girl is ok :thumbsup:

Any training aid can be misused by d*ck heads. In the wrong hands, a flat collar and lead can be misused.

Chelsea has a trainer with the "right hands" :whip:

Cheers,

Peter D

Too true Ricey, Too true

Totally agree, Ricey.

Pity prong collars have been banned for use here in Victoria. I believe yet another of Hugely Worthless' invoked legislations. :thumbsup::whip:

Anyone without the knowledge of how to properly use any equipment would do well to seek proper tuition, including, even, headcollars, which I commonly see fitted and used incorrectly.

Thanks Herr Rottie.

So, is the E-collar a form of negative reinforcement? LOL sorry for all the questions :thumbsup: Once I start I can't stop :whip:

Actually it can be negative reinforcment and postive punishment, can it not?

Edited by boxagirl