I Love My E-collar!

Used at training level I don't think it can be classed as aversive. You can barely feel the thing. It's more like a communicative marker really.

If there is any aversive in it it's a very low level.

Edited by sidoney

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in that article, HR. Do you know what the author means by this?

I use an audio monitor so I can hear how well the client is progressing.

Am I just having a blond day? Does he simply mean he talks to his clients (like, by phone?)

I would say that the collar is set to a tone as well as the stim so that the trainer can hear when it's on and when it's off, so that the trainer can monitor its use and students can get feedback about their timing.

Edited by sidoney

Thanks for the info on the e-collar. I haven't had anything to do with them at all in the past. The topic reminded me of a situation at work though.... i work in a dementia-specific nursing home and we have a particular resident who breaks all of the keypads & locks on the doors, amongst other things. Anyway, they came to fix them (again) the other day and i happened to mention "can't we just give her a bit of a shock?"... i was joking naturally! Unfortunately our podiatrist doesn't get my sense of humour and went into a spiel about how wrong it was to treat a resident this way.. DUH!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on the e-collar. I haven't had anything to do with them at all in the past. The topic reminded me of a situation at work though.... i work in a dementia-specific nursing home and we have a particular resident who breaks all of the keypads & locks on the doors, amongst other things. Anyway, they came to fix them (again) the other day and i happened to mention "can't we just give her a bit of a shock?"... i was joking naturally! Unfortunately our podiatrist doesn't get my sense of humour and went into a spiel about how wrong it was to treat a resident this way.. DUH!!  :whip:

bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Your podiatrist needs to lighten up :rofl:

I too work in dementia specific aged care (it's only a small percentage of my work, but I like it :thumbsup: ).

To survive, you need a wicked, warped sense of humour :eek:

The podiatrist will not last the distance :drink:

cheers,

Peter D

wow you were lucky

i have two concerns the first lesson you learnt cheap equipment is cheap for a reason lol

two what if the collar hadnt broken that would have been some impact on the dogs neck and may have caused an injury. I dont use long lines in that manner but is there one that has some sort of give in it

I know poeople are goign to say yeah but the dog corrects itself but if you call too late and the dog whacks the end and hurts its neck it may associate you calling with the whack . With the ecollar the dog doesnt know where the stim came from.

and if the long line had give you would still have the self correction if you wanted but without the heavy impact. Ive seen a lot of dogs fly through the air when doing long line recalls because the owner hasnt the timing its a bit of a worry

yb

Wow, what a scare, Chelsea! :thumbsup: Thank God everything is okay. Knowing me, I probably would have cried in relief once she got back.

Did you have to sit at the park for a while until you had calmed down!?

I'm so glad everything is ok. :whip:

I dont use long lines in that manner but is there one that has some sort of give in it...and if the long line had give you would still have the self correction if you wanted but without the heavy impact.

I attach my dog's long line to a harness, not a collar, for this very reason. Even if I have to stop him dead on it, it won't hurt his neck. :thumbsup:

Glad everything worked out for you, Chelseasmum!

good idea amphlaite the harness would be better i think.

im sure i saw somewhere that you could get longlines with bungy cord in them wonder if they are any good i didnt take much notice at the time but this does raise a point

yb

:thumbsup: sorry I just had a bit of a giggle because we use a long lead on a harness and Nina did a sudden run and pulled me over and I broke a rib! but better my rib than her neck (we'll keep using the long line and on the harness - I'll just learn to pay more attention!!)

not being negative - it just made me laugh. I don't have alot of luck with long leads!! and 100% of the time it's my fault!

I use an audio monitor so I can hear how well the client is progressing.

K9: what this means is, when I am training someone to use the remote collar or they need to understand my method, I use a radio scanner, that I tune into the 27Mhz signal put out by the remote.

This means that anyone in ear shot can hear an audio reference of when the trainer is stimming the dog (pressing the remote).

It's nice to show people how little you need to use the collar to get those outstanding results...

K9: Well done Chelseas mum, you have done an amazing job with her...

CM:

Under instruction from the best

K9: Oh come on... you have done the work not me.... :thumbsup: Your a natural, both tools I have talked to you about using you have picked up in a millisecond, dog training world is calling out for people like you... Specially in WA.