Maltxshitzu Grooming Help

peibe

I am fostering a 12 weeks old Maltese x ShitTzu for HAR. He has quite a long ShitTzu type coat. It is not like the Maltese that I have meet so I am guessing it is ShitTzu coat even though he looks more Maltese.

Anyways I have never owned a dog with his coat type as I am allergic and hate dog grooming. (my Maltese X has a more Silky like coat and it does not knot as much).

I am trying to get him used to being brushed for when he eventually goes to his forever home but I am unsure of a few things:

I am brushing him in small 3-4 minute lots about 3 times a day. When I first started it was 1-2 minutes 4 times a day. I am slowely increasing the time I need him to keep still.

Is this right?

What brushes do I use?

Would a Slickerbrush be OK?

Do I brush him wet or dry?

Do I spray him with a small amount of water?

How do I get him to let me brush his bum? He hates it :rofl:

Any help would be great

I think it is great that you are so concerned with getting him used to brushing! :rofl:

Good idea to do it in small bursts as well.

Other's on the forum have suggested taking dogs to a 'special grooming area/table/washing machine' having them stand and brushing them there for a few minutes.

A slicker brush should be fine and there is no need to wet the hair, if he is matty - perhaps around his bum - you can use a spray on conditoner and a metal comb to pick apart the knots and then brush as normal.

For dogs that a fussy with their bums I have the dog facing me, sometimes I tuck the front half under my left arm, move and hold the tail to the side with my left hand and then line brush the right side of the dog with a slicker. This way the dog can't squirm around the table, some times I'll lift the back legs off the table a little bit while holding the dog under the belly to do their bum.

With line brushing - which is what I have to teach most owners to do! Instead of brushing from the hip down to the toes you start at the hock (ankle) and work your way up in sections until the whole leg has been brushed - use the same technique on the rest of the body - it ensure that you are brushing from the skin and not just the top layer of hair.

Hope this helps! :rofl:

Thankyou for your replies they should help. I am brushing him on a towel on the washing machine so that I can get at him easier. The headlock should work Vehs. thankyou

I never trained my Maltese X to get brushed and now you are likely to lose fingers when you do. Takes two of us and yes a muzzle.

I want this little boy to be well adjusted and I believe that in fostering dogs it is up to me to do the training with them that would be done if they were already in their new homes. There are far to many matted dogs in pound I do not want him to be another.

I'd be using a pin brush rather than a slicker as slickers tend to be a bit more harsh on the skin (JMHO) :eek: And seem to also break the hair more easily. He may be squirming because it's a little more sensitive around his bottom.

Do you know how to choose a nice brush that won't hurt the skin?

And I would be spraying and brushing or blow-drying, spraying and brushing. Gives a lovely fluffiness, you find any knots easily and then have the extra conditioner/water mix to "slip" the knots out (and yes, do that with a greyhound comb or similar).

People do things differently and that's the way I do it :rolleyes: You find out what's best for you and pass the info on to this dogs' forever home.

You are wonderful to take the time to groom and get him used to it, as most wouldn't.

Another suggestion - when you pat or stroke him, without getting out a brush, spend a lot of time playing with his rear end!!! Sounds sick but if he gets used to a pleasurable experience having his botty stroked or rubbed firmly, the brushing will become less of a hassle!

*Added to note that my Lhasa X Poodle is harder to groom than the TT or the Hav :confused:

I agree with Vehs ideas but you may also try to hold the tail and rear leg together lift up and gently brush opposite leg and bum area. By doing this way you actually craddle the rear end and minimise injury to the dog ie weak cruciate ligament etc. With cross breeds you dont know what problems are there so taking precautions is my main concern.

Chris

Thankyou everyone for your advise. It is making the brushing experience easier.

But does anyone have a cure for sneezing when you brush? I have started wearing a dust mask and it helps but my eyes still water and swell. They do not normally do this with dogs only with cats.

Aww GAWD Peibe - you poor thing!

Allergies! (Must be the "allergy free" designer dog you have there :cry: )

Take an antihistamine half an hour before you groom. Does it happpen when you are just giving him cuddles? Or is it only when you're brushing?

MAYBE your allergic to grooming :cry: :D !!!!!

It only happens when I groom him.

I was allergic to dogs and cats when I was a kid, but I thought I outgrew it. I have no reaction with the Shar Pei, my malt X can be bad sometimes but his coat is more Silky not fluffy like Zoro. If I put Zoro up to my face and smell him it itches but mainly grooming him

And yes I am allergic to grooming, whoever the stupid idiot was that breed this notty monster I would desex them.

Peibe, I think it's the disturbed dander released into the air when you groom Zoro that's triggering the allergies.

Some suggestions....& I'm no expert...but would constantly spraying with water (maybe mixed with some of the coat conditioner you leave in) as you work, help dampen the dander down (what a tongue-twister!).

Experienced groomers feel free to say 'N00000!'

Also to protect your eyes, you almost need a snorkel mask. Feel free yourself to say 'N0000!'

Edited by mita

Mita it would make a song title too dampen the dander down LOL

We're songwriters!

" Dampen the dander down, dude'

Dampen the dander down.

If you dampen the dander down, dude,

You'll have dander dampened down."

You'll have to take the snorkle mask off to sing....I'll do the dancing.

Edited by mita

Hey guys I am SOOOO glad that you are having such a fun time laughing at my grooming get up.

I love the song but I do not think that you will sell any albums because I will absolutely refuse to be in the video clip.

I just took my get-up off as my other dogs were extremely scared of me.

the googles worked and my eyes did not water but Zoro was so scared of the one-eyed monster looking at him that he sat still.