Demodex

STAKKA

the vet has already done a scraping and I know what it is and what the vet has recommended but I wanted some other advice from experienced people as well.

Much of the research says its better to wait and see if it heals on its own before the vet treatment is started . I found lots of suggestions for alternative treatment but thought I might get some advice here.

If it's juvenile demodex and hormone related, the treatment would depend on the dog's "function" for me.

If the dog is a pet then it would be desex and let the hormones subside then the demodex should clear up. If the dog is a competition dog (a lot of people like to wait until 12 months to desex these dogs to make sure they don't get too tall) then I'd treat it topically with vaseline (to starve the mites of oxygen) and wait it out. If the dog is a show dog (isn't going to be desexed in the immediate future and it matters what it looks like) then I would follow my vets treatment, which was Ivermectin dosed orally daily until it cleared up.

In all the above cases I would also treat the dogs immune system (since a lowered immune system is usually one of the factors for demodex occuring). So Aloe Vera juice, kids multi-vitamins, liver and a clean-out of all areas the dog goes (without using chemicals). If the dog is healthy then it will fight the problem far quicker.

JMO

Ivermectin dosed orally daily

I'm not a big fan of Ivermectin because it is quite toxic and is immune-suppressive. This isn't very helpful when most cases of demodetic mange are due to immune deficiencies. Try applying tea tree oil on the affected areas and address the immune deficiency by providing a natural diet and immune support through natural remedies / supplements. Good luck!

Tee Tree oil needs to be diluted basically...

Also...correct me if i'm wrong...but the Generalised Demodex problem is apparently hereditary...but the localised demodex (under 5 spots) is considered a hormonal problem rather then something passed down the line?

Either way...localised demodex is a self limiting problem, but varying treatments will decide if it's a quick outbreak that is over quicker or if it drags out a bit. Generalised demodex needs to be kept under control and treated, and may reoccur in times of stress, illness etc etc.

My staffy pup had demodex but we believe it was genetic as she has the few spots on her head as an 8 week old pup which we tried to clear up with better diet (Missing Link added as well), tea tree and neem oil topically (which unfortunately did nothing for her) and eventually ivermectin when she was 16 weeks.

By this stage her whole body was covered in lumps and she had lost most of her hair the poor angel, but it never made her "sick" as such. We were cautious about giving her the ivermectin but it was a last resort. We titrated the dose slowly and i have to say it is amazing stuff, she never got sick from it and the spots disappeared within a matter of two weeks, and her hair began growing back.

By 6 months old she looked like a new dog again. The only side effect was on my part, i was allergic to the ivermectin in her skin and every time i touched her i broke out in a rash, but that was bearable.

I sympathise with you because generalised demodex is a nasty thing to deal with, very expensive as constant vet visits were needed but there is light at the end of the tunnel! We had great results from the ivermectin but im sure cases may vary.

Good luck!

Pesky thing that demadex...Im guessing your pup is under one year old?

All you can do is what your vet has suggested first, but give it time, tends to hang around and more frustrating, clear up then come back for about a year.

Ivermec (unless its a collie) plus any immune boosting things you can find..

My 12 month old Collie Rough has just had a case of Demodex. We just let it run it course, as a friend of mine who is a breeder & a vet nurse said to me. "Vets often, rush in and treat demodex to quickly. You should let it be, to see if it is going to be generalised."

I am happy to report that it has been there for 8 weeks and never got any bigger than a 50cent piece and guess what the hair is now growing back.

Ivermectin is great, but a huge no no in some collies.

Although demodex is often self limiting, often it is not, and it is important not to let the condition progress too far prior to treatment. Dogs are sometimes euthanased because the condition becomes generalised.

Don't think neutering a dog with the condition is a good idea ....... it can be caused/exacerbated by stress - nutritional or psychological, and the stress of an operation and the anaesthetic may make it worse.

It's recommended to desex affected dogs once the skin has cleared. Particularly in females, the hormonal fluctuations that occur with the heat cycle affect the susceptibility of the dog to another outbreak - its not recommended solely on the basis of it being a potential genetic problem.