Dog Sleeping In Your Bed

I have a gorgeous little chi girl who loves to sleep in my bed with me at nighttime. She goes to sleep at the foot of my bed but often by morning she is sharing my pillow. Of course I love cuddling her, she's better than any teddybear, and she is such a cutie, she loves snuggling into the blankets.

Anyway, my mum says its really unhygenic to sleep with a dog, and I was just wondering if this is true? Can I get sick having a dog sleeping near my face? I'm a healthy 21yr old with no allergies or anything. I don't let her lick my face.

She is a mostly indoors dog, and I bath her weekly, and she get regular worm/flea treatment.

Should I stop letting her in my bed?

I dont know the answer to this...But...if it was me, and you and your puppy are happy and there are no problems, then go for it JMO :party:

Minx sleeps next to my bed on her own bed, but if she was a smaller breed she'd be in with me too :love:

I dont like dogs in beds, i just dont think it is right IMO. My boy has never slept on our bed, he likes his own room.

Not sure regarding the health issues for you but there could be some pack issues could develop with your dog, that being thinking she is above you in the pecking order.

Why don't u think its right katek?

Maddy is quite a submissive dog, I've never had any problems with the "pack order" in my house, she's been quite easy to train. She doesn't show any signs of being bossy or domination. She just loves affection.

i haven't had any problems personally with pack order, as a result of them sleeping on my bed over the years, with any of my dogs either :party:

but i guess there could be, for some dogs and some owners??

i did a post ages ago in general ,on who lets their dogs sleep with them, lots did by how many pages there were.....but i respect those who have reasons for not :love:

hI!

My 2 boys sleep in our bed everynight and It doesn't bother me unless Taco is hogging all the room!!! It's hard to believe how much room a min pin x chi can take up!!! LOL :eek: Oh and the snoring that he did yesturday mornig just cracked me up.

They are clean dogs and are wormed and don't have fleas. We tried when we first got Taco to have him sleep in his own bed but he wouldn't. We tried other rooms etc and he ened up chewing the door frame and carpet and was just miserable. :eek:

We didn't give in straight away but thought how much more of this can we take with the destructive side of things and agreed it was easier for all involved to have him sleep with us.

Buckley is prefers to sleep on top of the dooner at the end of the bed but will come in for cuddles when he wants to and we have their beds on the floor at the end of ours "incase" they want to sleep there. :love:

I would prefer a dog in my bed anyday that a kid who wets the bed or a stinky person who snores!!!!

I guess if you had allergies or asthma maybe it would be a problem but as you said she is clean and healthy so go for it! :party:

Em

i have been sleeping with dogs all my life , that sounded funny as i wrote that  .

This cracked me up because I started to write the exact same thing and thought .. oh my - someone might take this the wrong way !! hahaha

Anyways .......... my dogs sleep on our bed (much to my other halves disgust) and they are 25kg+ IMO so long as they are clean and you're both happy what does hurt???

i have been sleeping with dogs all my life , that sounded funny as i wrote that  .

This cracked me up because I started to write the exact same thing and thought .. oh my - someone might take this the wrong way !! hahaha

Anyways .......... my dogs sleep on our bed (much to my other halves disgust) and they are 25kg+ IMO so long as they are clean and you're both happy what does hurt???

great minds think alike!!! :party::love::eek::eek:

Why don't u think its right katek?

mmm i guess human beds are for humans and dog beds are for dogs IN MY HOUSE that is. I suppose saying i dont think it is 'right' wasn't the correct word, i just dont like it. I dont mind what other people do just not in my house.

Dont get me wrong Harvey can sit on the bed when he wants, but he is a creature of habit and wouldn't sleep on it, he goes to his room at 8.30pm to bed and has done since 9 weeks old :party:

On a hot night last week we had the air con on in our bredroom before bed, the house was unusually quiet, poked my head through the bedroom door and Harvey and Spencer (the cat) were on the bed having a nap. So they can go onto the bed, they are allowed i just wouldn't want them sleeping in there with us.

the only negative thing bout dogs sleeping with you, apart from hair, which we loose too :party: ............oh i think i should shut up, its sounding worse!!! :eek:

is, if you let them get iinto a habit, like we have, when you have a partner as well, it can be not good at times of um...how shall i say it.....intimincy :eek: .......is that a health issue??? :love:

My dogs do not sleep on my bed.

But last night I took the family to the airport so they could go to Tassie.

I was feeling unwell last night, so I thought I would watch TV in Bed.

I took both dogs and called them up on the bed.

I thought what the heck they can sleep with me tonight.

Not sure if I will do this again.... :love:

A 42 kg Bull Mastiff X Lab.

And a 50ish Kg Boerboel on my bed did not leave alot of room left for me...

I was pulling the doona so hard the Boerboel cracked it.

He jumped on the floor and slept there the night. :eek::eek:

But to answer the original question.

I think it is fine to let your dog sleep on your bed. :party:

Take Care

Ash.

if you let them get iinto a habit, like we have, when you have a partner as well, it can be not good at times of um...how shall i say it.....intimincy :love: .......is that a health issue??? :party:

Well obviously, there will be certain times where Maddy will be banished to the laundry for the night :eek::eek::hug:

As long as it suits your living arrangements (dont want her getting squashed if there is any activity! :love: and remember to get her used to the routine for those times she is not allowed up on the bed so it is not stressful for her to be 'banished' either now or potentially in the future)

As long as you have your leadership and training sorted and do not allow her to become a 'little monster' who wont move from a spot on the bed when you ask etc.

As long as she is washed and brushed regularly, is healthy and does not have fleas or worms.

As long as you change the linen on the bed regularly.

As long as she does not cause an allergic reaction which makes breathing difficult.

I personally cant see a problem with her sleeping on or in the bed :party:

I don't think it's really that big a deal. If you're happy and it's your bed, then go for it.

Patrick comes up for a morning snuggle after his morning toilet stop. Paladin likes to think he can get up on the bed, but as yet only succeeds one time in three. Both ours are trained that they have to lay down on the bed or get off. There are no other options.

Kylie