Dog Sleeping In Your Bed

joannakathleen what you mum is saying is an old wives tale. Or should that be mothers tale. Myth.

Years and years ago, when dogs were only outside and we couldnt afford the flea treatments and worming tablets, that was just it, unhygenic.

Now adays, all our dogs have a better life and are much cleaner than what they were say 20, 30 or 50 years ago.

So long as your baby is washed, wormed, flea treated and fed, there is no harm in it.

I have two Chi's in my bed and there is no problems with my health or my kids health and I certainly dont have any dominance issues. My girls know I am their leader. :love:

If mum has problems with the fur, then you can wash the sheets.

Sleep tight. :party:

I enjoy sharing the bed with my dog and our morning cuddles. The hair is the main problem. My boyfriend only stays occassionally and I just give him fresh sheets, and Missey gets shut out of the bedroom when we want to be alone. She doesn't seem to mind this too much although she will sometimes go outside and watch through the glass door.

My boyfriend and the dog don't sleep terribly well together, they wake one another up.

I also let the dog lick my mouth, I asked the vet and he didn't think it was a problem.

I don't have any issue with dominance from my dog.

post-22-1129271571.jpg

My Dobe and my Border Terrier both sleep on my bed. Dobe sleeps at my feet under the blankets and my BT sleeps either with his head on my neck or on the spare pillow I have. Usually I find myself waking up with my head on HIM as a pillow lol. Which isn't the most comfortable feeling as his coat is quite rough and wirey lol. But he's nice and cuddly in winter :love:

In summer if I ahve the portable fan going so it blows on me, my Newfoundland will often join us- just so he can get some fan air rofl. Now that's fun :party:

Imagine it- a single bed with jiust a sheet (I have to be covered up otherwise I freak out no matter how hot it is), a20 yr old girl, a 30 kilo Dobermann, 70 kilo newfoundland furball and a 10 kilo Terrier.

Here is where Caber quite often ends up-

CaberSleeping.jpg

Edited by SpikesPuppy

My old dog sleeps on my bed every night, as was stated earlier I would much rather sharing my bed with her than some smelly snoring.

At least I know where she has been !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL's at ELLZ

When I go away Mum has to come over & sleep in my bed so as Misty has someone to sleep with, not that she is spoilt of course :party::love::eek:

Edited by Silverblue

We get around the dog fur by using a throw as "their" blanket. That way we can just rotate and wash every second day with out worrying about the actual doona and sheets getting dirty. :love:

In theory is sounds good, but in practice I think you get the same result..... just makes OH happy thats all. :party:

Hey JK!

Well, I've heard its unhygenic 2.....

I have two dogs: A border Collie and a Rottweilla.

And they both sleep on my bed two (sometimes together)

Now my mum tells me its unhygenic and only lets them sleep on the end of the bed but I let them up on the pillows (I change my bed sheets and pillow weekly just in case).

I've had dogs on my bed for years and I'm not dead YET.

Lol... i reckon it's safe; just continue to not let them lick you on the face.

One other thing.....What is different from having a dog in bed with you and giving it hugs in the day time? Nothing...No-one gets sick from hugging it closely at daytime so wats so different about night?

I couldnt imagine a life without my dogs sleeping on my bed :eek:

When I was little, I never slept through the night. I kept having nightmares or something mum & dad told me. Then I got my first German Shepherd of my very own, and she slept on my bed right from the start & I started sleeping through the night really peacefully. She was a longcoat and when her coat got really long she got too hot and slept on the floor :eek: which was ok..

Now, many years later, she has passed on, and I have 2 GSD's & 2 Poms sleeping on my bed with me :party: It gets REALLY squishy at times, especially in winter when they all want to sleep close to me..

I love having them next to me.. They are always perfectly clean.. The only downside is waking up with hair in your mouth now & then :love: But you get over it pretty quick.

I always had dogs sleeping on my bed, but then Steve came along and we realised that there just was not enough room :party: (oh and we have a King bed too)

Lucy however does get to sleep on our bed, mostly because she falls asleep and stays quiet for the whole night...

Lucy is really good, she does not 'expect' to just sleep on the bed, and every night when we go to bed, she will wait patiently for me to either say yes or no...

Generally we have Lucy in the bedroom, Tia and Stanley in the loungeroom and Chance and Johnny in the laundry :love:

Mel xx

Our dogs have always been allowed to sleep on the beds if they want to.

My young Rough Collie pup, Phoebe, snuggles up on the pillows next to me and keeps my back warm. soemtimes she will get up and go in on Dad's ( her Poppy) bed for awile but then she comes back onto mine and snuggles.

when she gets really comfortable she lays on her back and leans over towards me with her front paws resting on me to cuddle

if you like your dog sleeping on your bed and the dog isn'tdominant or aggressive and is responsive and gets off if you ask it to, then no worries eh?

Can the dog make you sick? What exactly does your mum think you're going to catch? If you're dog is unhygentic, wash it :thumbsup:

If the dog has worms, you could have an issue there, but if you are a responsible owner and pooch is healthy and happy, I can't see any probs, if your mum is still concerened, ask ya vet :swear: