Apple Cider Vinegar

Hi everyone,

I am using ACV in my boofas water bowls to try and eliminate urine burn on the grass.

It used to work really well, almost perfectly....but alas, no more.

I havent changed anything?

I wonder why its no longer working??

Any other suggestions would be fantastic, as the lawn is suffering now.

Try the natural stuff from the health store - it has a sediment in it etc, the real thing - not the supermarket stuff.

Maybe that will make a difference.

Suggest you check any other changes in diet that amy have had an effect or, has there been a change in the formulas fed?

The ACV here is included in the food, not the water - could this make a difference?

Possibly, the animal is not drinking as much, creating more concentrated urine.

Have there been any unusual stresses lately which could have upset the "applecart"?

Don't worry too much - the grass will soon grow greener and better. :thumbsup:

cheers

Where do you guys get it from? I've looked for it in Woolworths, Coles, Bi Lo & Franklins without any luck!

Sas considering my local Coles and Woolworths has SEVERAL brands of both Apple Cider Vinegar and White Vinegar and brown vinegar.... plus some more refined organic ACV in the health food seciont......

I think you may be looking in the wrong spot!!! I just can't imagine that a supermarket wouldn't sell vinegar!

ACV will generally be near the salad dressings/sauce section. I get a large 2 litre bottle of it cause I use it for cleaning as well as adding to the dogs meals. I agree the healthfood shop one is probably better... but it's expensive too!!

wow! what a great thread!

ACV is also great for humans too! if you have digestive complaints it can be great, used under guidance from a homoeopath it can even help with stomach ulcers, but you do need guidance and they are early stage ulcers!!

anne - do your towels smell of vinegar if you use it in the rinse or does it neutralise with drying?

Apart from the grass burn issue, what other benefits are there to dogs from giving them an occasional dose of ACV, and how often should it be given?

Oh it's top shelf stuff, good gear! It's slightly anti-bacterial so is good to help prevent urinary tract infections. We put a splash in the boys' water bowls, so they get a bit every time they have a drink, and in their paddle pool - this keeps the mozzie larvae away too. Also ok to put on (diluted) any tummy rashes (because of the anti-bac).

Use it diluted as a final rinse after shampooing - it will get rid of the suds. I did a thread on this a while back - something like "101 uses for ACV"

This great info! I just got a paddle pool for the dogs and was wondering what to put in it so I didn't have to empty it every day...well now I know. Will be checking out the 101 thread too. Thanks guys!

PS - I recently tried white vinegar to clean piddle stains off carpet and was so amazed and thrilled with the results!

Can I ask what dosage you use for a 30kg dog and how often you would put it in their food? Also, I see that it is recommended to dilute it, in what parts would you do that.

Thanks guys, this is very interesting. :thumbsup:

Interesting - caffeind42 - vet said after tests (soon after we got her) that it looked our dobe was recovering froma urinary tract infection all by herself - wonder if that is the connection - and I have gradually (through laziness, actually) laid off the meds for slight incontinence and, although the warmer weather may be a factor, there has not been a recurrence so far (fingers crossed)

She hovers around 30kgs.

Presently I only put about 4 tablespoons ACV in about a month's BARF mix - might increase that a bit, I think, or add it to the water as well.

cheers